testtest

1,000 yd. rifles

In world war one, it was common for many troops to accurately kill at over 1000 yds only with iron sights ❗

Now days, we have dozens of all types of rifles and awesome scopes to make it so much easier that even a kid can kill a animal at over 1000 yds❗

You can even get many different cartridges for different size animals for different distances❗

1000 yards? How many of us can even see well enough to distinguish a potential threat or game animal well enough to actually decide to shoot at it, at 1000 yards, especially without glass.
Easy, look it up, stories of WW I.
Since that is all they had during the war, they made do, to the best. Just as all military men have done for centuries.

Now days, we are so spoiled with so many easy luxuries.

In Iraq and Afghanistan, the impressive records set in Shahi Khot Valley were broken, but the titles remain in Canadian hands.
The current record is 3,540 meters using a US .50(not a Canadian .50cal)
That is so far you also need to include the spinning of the earth.

Can you see well enough at 1000 yards to definitively define friend or foe or if its a legal animal?

During war with defined trenches its easy, anything that moves on thier trench line is enemy.

Finding, identifying and shooting at a random object at 1000 yards is I still say not easy.

Big difference between trench 1918 warfare and today's war and legal ethical hunting.

As far as the record shots specialized weapons with top oxmf the line glass and spotters with specialized spotting scopes are the reason for thise shots, along with great training and skill.

Last edited:
I can't see well enough at far distances to distinguish any target nor am I steady enough to hit long range targets any more ... maybe when I was younger.

The rifles, especially today, are so accurate (in the right shooters hands) it's incredible. I watched one of the precision shooting matches on the outdoor channel one night. Over 3 days they had multiple 10 shot rounds with targets of different sizes, shapes, direction and distances, from 450 yds out to 1087 yds in each round. They had less than 9 seconds to setup for each shot for the changes in distance, direction, all while changing shooting positions between shots. The winner of the match hit all 300 targets over the 3 days. That's somebody you would want to take with you into battle.

So yes, the rifles are well capable of it but not all shooters are.

In world war one, it was common for many troops to accurately kill at over 1000 yds only with iron sights ❗

Now days, we have dozens of all types of rifles and awesome scopes to make it so much easier that even a kid can kill a animal at over 1000 yds❗

You can even get many different cartridges for different size animals for different distances❗
Yeah, that was volley fire in WW1, not really sighted.

And while I’ve gotten behind a Palma rifle and made hits at 1k with iron sights (with some excellent coaching), itd be a whole lot harder with the more rudimentary sights that WW1 bolts were using.

Impossible? No. But definitely not a common occurrence.

I can't see well enough at far distances to distinguish any target nor am I steady enough to hit long range targets any more ... maybe when I was younger.

The rifles, especially today, are so accurate (in the right shooters hands) it's incredible. I watched one of the precision shooting matches on the outdoor channel one night. Over 3 days they had multiple 10 shot rounds with targets of different sizes, shapes, direction and distances, from 450 yds out to 1087 yds in each round. They had less than 9 seconds to setup for each shot for the changes in distance, direction, all while changing shooting positions between shots. The winner of the match hit all 300 targets over the 3 days. That's somebody you would want to take with you into battle.

I was told that shooting long distances like that are hard on the bore of the rifle.

heck i get nervous at 200 yards
i try to stay within the 100 yards zone
1000 would be awesome, but my eyes would surely fail me

Can you see well enough at 1000 yards to definitively define friend or foe or if its a legal animal?

During war with defined trenches its easy, anything that moves on thier trench line is enemy.

Finding, identifying and shooting at a random object at 1000 yards is I still say not easy.

Big difference between trench 1918 warfare and today's war and legal ethical hunting.

As far as the record shots specialized weapons with top oxmf the line glass and spotters with specialized spotting scopes are the reason for thise shots, along with great training and skill.
I must of missed something as I could of sworn title was " 1,000 yd. rifles " and nothing else❓

I must of missed something as I could of sworn title was " 1,000 yd. rifles " and nothing else❓
You were the one who turned it into a disussion of WWI shooting capabilities and then the subsequent long distance sniper records. I simply replied to your post.

I apologize if you took offense at such...

CZ used to sell a “Hunter” chambered in 300 Win Mag that they guaranteed to shoot moa to 1000. That’s a 10” group. Pretty slick for a production rifle that you can actually carry.

Back