testtest

10 Lessons for the Beginning Backpack Hunter

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Some of these lessons are about the tactical aspects of hunting, but others are small tid-bits of practical information — which may seem trivial at first — but can have a big impact on both the experience and success that hunters may have on the mountain.

10 Lessons for the Beginning Backpack Hunter

jerud-elk-header_1445x.jpg

Rule #1
Tell several people where you will be going and where alternate hunting areas may be if you change to a new spot.
When you’ll be expecting to come back &where you will be .

Consequences for not sharing that could cost you your life in an emergency
It can definitely help to follow that rule and also a gps tracker app with a geo tag sent to a few friends doesn't hurt either if there is cell service in the hiking area.

Sudden bad weather can be lethal even to the most experienced hiker if not prepared.

Unfortunately 2 hikers on separate occasions have died this year in the White Mountains State Park here in NH even when their coordinates were known to friends and family due to sudden changes in the weather. Both hikers perished from hypothermia when the temp dropped and it started snowing and raining. Rescuers knew exactly where to look for them but it was too late.

Very good link / lessons.

I'm bad for often not telling anyone where I'm going. Bad weather can be dangerous but really it's the wildlife that I'm worried about: cougars, bears, coyotes...

Back