testtest

103 Carrier Deployments in 13 Years

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
With the current “where’s the carriers” moment in history–a look back at the old “million sortie” war waged from Yankee and Delta Station days is relevant, in which sortie rates would average upwards of 4,000 a month when three carriers were on station.

1700972601025.png

A-7B of VA-215 standing by on the catapult of USS_Oriskany (CV-34) in 1976.

Plus., a free e-book

1700972315512.png

Bonus...

My favorite Essex Class carrier, the USS Oriskany (CV/CVA-34), the "BIG O" was the ultimate Essex.

1700973041676.png

1700973065834.png

1700973194326.png

1700973662519.png

1700973826733.png

America CV-66, was sunk off the continental shelf to see what happens to a "super carrier" did when it sank.
It's the largest ship ever sunk, to include the Yamato and Musashi.
She rests flight deck up in the DEEP water past the shelf.

As for me, the best time I ever spent was on the boat. The U.S.S. John C. Stennis (CVN-74) to be exact, never before, or since have I had the genuine job satisfaction, and love for the work I did as those nine months between work ups and the cruise.
If I'd have been half smart I'd have re-upped as a Squid and gone on permanent sea duty.
There's nothing like seeing a bird you fixed on the roof (that's the flight deck to you uninitiateds, lol) get launched after you fixed it, knowing it's launch wouldn't have happened if not for you.

Damn how I could go on......

America CV-66, was sunk off the continental shelf to see what happens to a "super carrier" did when it sank.
It's the largest ship ever sunk, to include the Yamato and Musashi.
She rests flight deck up in the DEEP water past the shelf.

As for me, the best time I ever spent was on the boat. The U.S.S. John C. Stennis (CVN-74) to be exact, never before, or since have I had the genuine job satisfaction, and love for the work I did as those nine months between work ups and the cruise.
If I'd have been half smart I'd have re-upped as a Squid and gone on permanent sea duty.
There's nothing like seeing a bird you fixed on the roof (that's the flight deck to you uninitiateds, lol) get launched after you fixed it, knowing it's launch wouldn't have happened if not for you.

Damn how I could go on......
i get it, my BIRD farm days were great, as were the tin can days.. i liked being at sea. no traffic, good food mostly

Attachments

• ship0001.jpg
    ship0001.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 62
  • george washington cvn730001.jpg
    george washington cvn730001.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 56
i get it, my BIRD farm days were great, as were the tin can days.. i liked being at sea. no traffic, good food mostly

Damn right, the scenery changed, we chased the time changes, we worked 12 hour PLUS days, and most important, we got the job done.
Best of all was the mail, I got mail from my folks that only took three days from posting in Eastern NC, to me getting it in theater.......
Nothing, at least professionally, has ever compared to the job, or the people in anything I've done since. And I was an "I" level AIMD bubble chaser, but I spent every minute I could with the line shack guys in VFA-147, and VMFA-314 (who I deployed with).
Sure doesn't seem like it was the millennium cruise.

Back