testtest

10mm vs. .40: Was the FBI Wrong (or Right) About This?

Good grief. The author is an ignorant twit.

Again with “The FBI went away from 10mm to .40 because of recoil”…utterly false.

The 180gr, 950fps HydraShok 10mm “FBI load” has THE EXACT SAME BALLISTICS as the 180gr, 950fps .40 load they went to…if anything, the Glock 23, being LIGHTER than the 1076, would have MORE recoil.

Seems like this un-ending debate keeps coming up every so often.

If you are gonna load a 10mm down to the same as .40, why have the 10mm?

I like my old SR-40. It isn't one of my carry guns but i don't feel i would carry a 10mm either. One of these days I might buy a 10mm, but not to shoot .40's out of it.

I love both the 10mm and the .40 S&W, but as Paul Harrel showed in one of his videos, and something that I've often suspected, some manufacturers, like Federal, do not load their 10mm any hotter than their .40 S&W. This drives me crazy, since these manufacturers are simply making more profit margin so that their customers can "SAY" they are shooting a 10mm.

A 10mm should be loaded as it was originally designed, where the power was nearly at .41 magnum range of power.

I love both the 10mm and the .40 S&W, but as Paul Harrel showed in one of his videos, and something that I've often suspected, some manufacturers, like Federal, do not load their 10mm any hotter than their .40 S&W. This drives me crazy, since these manufacturers are simply making more profit margin so that their customers can "SAY" they are shooting a 10mm.

A 10mm should be loaded as it was originally designed, where the power was nearly at .41 magnum range of power.

Another myth.

No, it doesn’t even come close to .41 magnum…in equal bullet weights, 10mm is a .357 magnum level power… .41 magnum smokes 10mm.

After watching I could not tell why the author came to the conclusion the 10mm was better. Having dealt with government purchases I doubt there was any need to create a 10mm other than to give out more contracts. Can anyone tell me the NEED that the 10mm solved? What was wrong with the 40mm? What deficiency was resolved? Longer range accuracy? Stopping power? What?

After watching I could not tell why the author came to the conclusion the 10mm was better. Having dealt with government purchases I doubt there was any need to create a 10mm other than to give out more contracts. Can anyone tell me the NEED that the 10mm solved? What was wrong with the 40mm? What deficiency was resolved? Longer range accuracy? Stopping power? What?

10mm predates .40S&W by several years, so…

I didn't make it past the part where the idiot states that the headspace for these two cartridges was the same. It's a shame that your staff member responsible for approving submissions can't make even a tiny effort to fact check the articles before posting them just to be posting something.
I think the point of that sentence was “they both headspace off the mouth”, not they have the same headspace, but…I did a double take as well.

It was poorly worded.

I own an XDM-E 3.8 10mm OSP (w/Holosun507C-X2) and find it eminently comfortable to shoot. Don't feel any difference really between my 9mms and this 10mm. Just so you know, I watched the Apollo 11 Moon landing on live tv....so this is not coming from a youngster who sneers at recoil and eats nails for breakfast.
If anyone out there is debating whether or not to buy this pistol, I'm open to questions.

I’m just a lone opinion here but I am a long time enduser of these calibers and platforms they’re used in. I back my opinion with what some call “real world” experience, as well as extensive range time, for what that’s worth.
I have carried a 10mm for a number of years starting with the Bren Ten shortly after it was introduced. The Bren is now retired but Its caliber is still my EDC in the form of a Springfield XDm. It’s an excellent cartridge and platform. Over the years I have also fielded this caliber in the 1911 platform too, but, the 1911 is a post unto itself.
Bottom line is. These calibers and/or platforms, either work for you or they don't. I have never understood the arguments concerning the 10mm as I find no difference between it an a .45ACP. The .45 1911 being another platform that I have relied on over the years, a ParaOrdance P14 being my go-to. These calibers either work for one or they don't. They do so for any number of reasons but the #1 reason has to be one’s ability and comfort level with it. One can’t figure that out unless you actually shoot them to get that information.
Reading reviews is helpful but very opinionated and limiting and although correct in a factual general way, can not account for your own experience on a range with them!
The same applies to the .40SW an 9mm discussion and .. contentions.
When I carry a secondary platform or backup it’s a Springfield XD compact in .40. It works for me, it’s comfortable and 100% reliable and Does what I require of it each an ever time. That may not be what everyone is looking for, I can only be responsible for my opinion an that it.
The 9mm cartridge an platform has been a companion since I was issued one in SEA in 1970. The issue was a Browning Hi Power and I still have it, along with several other Belgiums an a couple of the variants collected over the years. In THIS shooters opinion it was the best John Browning design between it a the 1911, some will agree some not, doesn't matter,
I digress, The current HiPower of note is the Springfield SA35 which is by far the best evolution of the iconic Browning design to date, making modern changes for the better, while holding to its original concept and basic ergonomic design. As the original Belgium’s are now in the collector category I’ve acquired an SA35 for casual EDC, size an weight allow for easy and comfortable carry without greatly printing and changes in munition component design affords the 9mm a good standing in terminal ballistics for some generations to come.
The 9mm cartridge was designed for primarily one singular use and has past the test of time in conflicts, law enforcement, a personal protection since introduced in 1901. Upwards to 60% or so of all LE use the 9mm.
An important point to consider.
From this end user’s POV it’s a simple decision.
That decision requires that as much information be acquired as possible by the end user before acquiring a platform.
The most useful and reverent of this info that one can get is a side by side range evaluation of the reverent calibers being considered to get actual, real time, data and experience with each caliber,
IN YOUR HANDS,
Preferably in the platform you’re considering or at the very least the same barrel leant.
I would suggest that one pairs up the 10mm an .45ACP first and once a choice has been determined pair it up with one’s choice of .40 SW and see where that takes you.
I personally feel that the 9mm stands alone and should be considered in that light.
However, should you decide on the 10mm or .45 as your primary but find the .40 not quite to your liking for some reason. then a side by side of the .40 an 9mm might be helpful in clarifying which caliber an platform might suit you best.
There is no wrong answer(s) here!

A firearm and it’s chambered caliber is one of the most important an PERSONAL choices one may ever have to make and should be done only after some consideration as to what an where you might have to deploy it, having actually, physically had it in hand and if at all possible shot it (all platforms are NOT made the same and fo Not always ergonomically fit or are comfortable to shoot).
Reading about it is great information but can only be really determined on a personal level.

I own an XDM-E 3.8 10mm OSP (w/Holosun507C-X2) and find it eminently comfortable to shoot. Don't feel any difference really between my 9mms and this 10mm. Just so you know, I watched the Apollo 11 Moon landing on live tv....so this is not coming from a youngster who sneers at recoil and eats nails for breakfast.
If anyone out there is debating whether or not to buy this pistol, I'm open to questions.

Put both of them up against a timer doing the same drill, and I guarantee you will see there is a marked difference in how recoil is effecting accuracy. Either you’ll be slower to keep the sane accuracy, or you’ll be just as fast but with reduced accuracy in the 10mm.

More energy going out the front means more energy coming back as recoil…if Ike Newton knew what he wa talking about a few centuries ago.

Put both of them up against a timer doing the same drill, and I guarantee you will see there is a marked difference in how recoil is effecting accuracy. Either you’ll be slower to keep the sane accuracy, or you’ll be just as fast but with reduced accuracy in the 10mm.

More energy going out the front means more energy coming back as recoil…if Ike Newton knew what he wa talking about a few centuries ago.
I fundamentally agree with you on your point.
However, there are several ways to mitigate the somewhat heavier recoil and energy of a 10mm. A threaded barrel an compensator come to mind with a heavier slide return spring in conjunction with a good slide buffer. Although this does extend the physical length of the slide somewhat it doesn't do it so greatly, that I have noted, that it impacts deployment from holster to target acquisition a first shot.
I do use a shorter custom comp on mine that is only 1.25” over all.
The reduction in recoil is less than a .40 by about 5% +/- and muzzle rise is greatly reduced and allows for a faster and more accurate second shot.
Also, from my experience the 10mm is very sensitive to barrel leant too. I found the the XDm in 5.25” to be superior in comfort ergonomics, lower felt recoil and control of first an follow on shots.

Back