testtest

12 Best Affordable 1911s (For Your Budget)

my first 1911, was the R-1911 from Remington, but i sold that to my buddy, who liked it too.

i have a wide array of 1911's now, from a Tisas, up to Dan Wesson's.

each one works flawlessly.

my next acquirement would most likely be a "Standard MFG" which the basic 1911, is like about $1,300.

i don't really want to go over the price(s) i paid for the D/W's.....(under 2,000)

i'll leave the higher dollar 1911's, for those that have deeper wallets.

I hear Rock Island Armory makes a lot of 1911s. In fact, the first one on this list is from RIA. But after buying the RIA M200 4" 38 revolver, I wouldn't trust them on any of their other guns. That gun is cheap, and I'm not referring to the price!

I hear Rock Island Armory makes a lot of 1911s. In fact, the first one on this list is from RIA. But after buying the RIA M200 4" 38 revolver, I wouldn't trust them on any of their other guns. That gun is cheap, and I'm not referring to the price!
i dunno. i have an RIA 1911....it's as dependable a gun as can be.

if i recall, they were made (are still made?) using the old Colt machines, that they had shipped over to the Philippines.

If I was 20 years younger and going to buy another 1911 I'd seriously consider finding a Colt ROYAL BLUE 1911 CLASSIC. It would be a good investment. I wished they had used a roll mark similar the design used in the 1930's.

1634932920145.png

I’ve owned several RIA 1911’s.

I also own 1911’s from Baer and Wilson Combat, as well as several in between.

RIA makes some of the best budget 1911’s, hands down…and they’ve also been making them longer (as Armscor) than most American manufacturers other than Colt (this includes the current Springfield Armory).

i dunno. i have an RIA 1911....it's as dependable a gun as can be.

if i recall, they were made (are still made?) using the old Colt machines, that they had shipped over to the Philippines.
No, Colt never shipped their machines anywhere…the originals were still running in Hartford as recently as the late 1990’s/early 2000’s…well after Armscor started making 1911’s (in the late 1960’s/early 70’s, iirc).

It’s a myth that Colt shipped their machines anywhere. They DID set up the factories for a couple of countries, however—Norway and Argentina—when they adopted the 1911 as their sidearm.

I love affordable guns, but I am willing to pay a little more for certain models. The 1911 is a classic American design, so I purchased a traditional American GI version for my first 1911 (Remington R1). I bought it at a far price during a rebate period, so it was still very inexpensive by 1911 standards.

I'm sure that many of the Filipino, Turkish and Brazilian models are fine guns, but I'd rather have a mil-spec American 1911 if I'm getting a 1911 as a "bucket list" gun. This is also why I spent a little more for a Marlin than I would have for a Rossi when I bought a levergun. It only cost a little bit more than a Rossi, but I figured that I'd rather have the actual gun that I grew up wanting than a cheaper version.

I don't consider myself a gun-snob, and would never recommend anyone to go unarmed until they can afford a premium firearm. However, if you are adding a desired model from your wishlist to your collection, I think many buyers will be happier in the long-run if they pay a little more for the name brand.

I love affordable guns, but I am willing to pay a little more for certain models. The 1911 is a classic American design, so I purchased a traditional American GI version for my first 1911 (Remington R1). I bought it at a far price during a rebate period, so it was still very inexpensive by 1911 standards.

I'm sure that many of the Filipino, Turkish and Brazilian models are fine guns, but I'd rather have a mil-spec American 1911 if I'm getting a 1911 as a "bucket list" gun. This is also why I spent a little more for a Marlin than I would have for a Rossi when I bought a levergun. It only cost a little bit more than a Rossi, but I figured that I'd rather have the actual gun that I grew up wanting than a cheaper version.

I don't consider myself a gun-snob, and would never recommend anyone to go unarmed until they can afford a premium firearm. However, if you are adding a desired model from your wishlist to your collection, I think many buyers will be happier in the long-run if they pay a little more for the name brand.
Marlins were great rifles, until Remington bought the company , moved the machines and lost all the tricks on production. The rifles went south fast until they were very poorly done. Eventually Remington started figuring it out , and then they went bankrupt and production ceased.

During that dark period, I would have taken a Rossi any day, or maybe better yet a Cimmaron Texas Brush popper. And this is from someone who has 3 Marlin lever rifles, 1 357 carbine 1 44 carbine a thuty thuty, and two 22s.

Ruger bought Marlin recently and hopefully there will be new, quality rifles again soon.

View attachment 21504
My recent purchase, Colt Classic .45, based on the series 70 pistol
Hey Anni, you just can't hide good taste. That gov't model will give you and yours years of service, plus Colt's really seem to hold their value as well. There's speculation that pre CZ Colts will sky rocket in price should the company change the transitional design and/or the Colt roll marks. And when you buy a Colt really it's Colt's name and the tradition it represents that figures in to the price you pay. For those who may not believe me just look at what WWII era unmolested Colt 1911s bring on today's market. It's like eating potato chips; once you have one you got to have another!

Back