testtest

From 100 Yards to Point Blank: Can You Run The Crusher Drill?

Decent drill for offensive movement.

However, I would incorporate actual cover (real or simulated by a temp structure/barrier) into each stage, and that it can be used to stabilize the firing position.

And I think kneeling is a more stable position than squatting.

Having taught the M4 carbine for over 20 years as a LE firearms instructor, I would say overall this is a very good drill, for all the reasons the author mentions. It is hardly unique, though, having used one variation or another over my entire 30+ year career as an instructor, as a training exercise for handguns and carbines. Many, many other instructors over the prior decades have used a variation of this "run and gun" drill as well. One carbine version I used, and still use, starts at the 200 yard line. I should have named it and made a video. :)

One might quibble over the positions used, especially the duplicative squatting position at only 25 yards. I would pick differently but that is individual experience, preference and AO. I will note that squatting is a difficult position to get out of quickly for many officers wearing heavy armor, and in various terrain. Not everyone in LE or otherwise is a 20-30-something, and/or at the lower range of the weight charts. Many students had difficulty with it and given a choice selected a different position.

However, the choice of target and scoring could use some thoughtful adjustment. While the NRA B-8 25-Yard Timed and Rapid conventional pistol target is readily obtainable, and ubiquitous in some circles (bad pun), it's use in modern law enforcement has waned considerably. Most have perhaps never seen it, much less shot at it. Also, what the author is using in the video does not appear to be an actual NRA B-8, but a severely abbreviated version, lacking the scoring rings "7" through "5".

To be an accurate judge of marksmanship, the aiming point must be visible. I note the author using magnified optics on his carbine in the video. While the B-8 target may work with magnified optics, it is not the best choice for carbines using red dot sights, and to a lesser extent typical AR iron sights. When considering dot flare, iron sight subtension, and a variety of light conditions, the center black bullseye area of the B-8 is too small for adequate recognition and precision at 100 yards. If confined to conventional pistol targets, the NRA B-8 50-Yard Slowfire target would be preferred, as the area of the black bullseye center is larger, while maintaining the same scoring ring width as the B-6.

In regards to scoring, noting the severity of gunshot wounds from the ammunition fired from any serious combat rifle, one would be hard pressed to explain the difference from a bullet impact in the "10-ring" as opposed to the "8-ring" or more. Scoring this drill based on point value on the target is an exercise in vain glory only. On top of the that, making the 10-ring the "possible" score serves only to slow down the shooter, when a 7-ring hit would do essentially the same job, but better, because it could be made faster. If using a standard B-6 or B-8 bullseye target (or the FBI-IPP), I would count any hit within the 7-ring (12") as a full value hit representing a center-mass chest shot, and anything outside the 7-ring as a miss. My preference would be a simple 12" black circle, or even better, a modern qualification-style target with a similar center mass area.

Finally, the pistol transition stage, while a good idea, gives some pause. For starters, I would use a second target for this, as most duty-level pistols are larger diameter than .223 or .308, and the pistol hits can obscure the rifle hits. An open circle placed above the rifle target would suffice - size to be determined by what you are trying to replicate.

In addition, I've generally found that running into your adversary's weapon at close range - in this case 10 yards and under - to be a less than ideal tactic. Note the rifle rounds at 10 yards are fired static, and this is not a team entry exercise. I would substitute static pistol firing for what is depicted, or better, getting offline and firing.

But all in all, a time-tested drill, if you have the range conditions that can accommodate it. Be safe!

Last edited:
One might quibble over the positions used, especially the duplicative squatting position at only 25 yards. I would pick differently but that is individual experience, preference and AO. I will note that squatting is a difficult position to get out of quickly for many officers wearing heavy armor, and in various terrain. Not everyone in LE or otherwise is a 20-30-something, and/or at the lower range of the weight charts. Many students had difficulty with it and given a choice selected a different position.

In addition, I've generally found that running into your adversary's weapon at close range - in this case 10 yards and under - to be a less than ideal tactic. Note the rifle rounds at 10 yards are fired static, and this is not a team entry exercise. I would substitute static pistol firing for what is depicted, or better, getting offline and firing.
Agreed.

Back