testtest

Handguns for Bear Defense: Will Any of Them Stop the Threat?

For a little comparison:
Over the weekend I was watching a Alaskan Kodak bear hunting show. The hunter sitting in some brush glassing for bear when he heard the bushes making noise. Before he knew it a giant kodak brown walked right in front of him, literally the bear was less than 4' from him. He let the arrow go when they both suddenly seen each other. The shot lucky but perfect hit the spot. The bear run 50yrds. When he got to the bear he tried to lift his head and couldn't do it. The hunter said you know it's a giant when a full grown man cannot lift the bears head off the ground. The bears front paw was so large it covered from to top of the hunters head to the middle of his chest.
The hunter lets us know he was no small man, he stood 6'4. Talk about pucker factor!
At 4' gun or no gun if that bear turned towards him they would have found him in a pile after he went through the bears digestive track.

After living in Alaska for years the best defense is to avoid them. Many have been killed and mauled by bears. I guess its a crap shoot if the shot you take will put one down. I have never had the nerve to go looking for that trouble.
No kidding! I've seen and heard from my family LEO's tell stories of two legged critters sucking up bear spray and high caliber projectiles like a fat kid eating donuts.

1665421196254.gif

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Handguns for Bear Defense: Will Any of Them Stop the Threat?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/handguns-for-bear-defense/.

Size of animal, bullet caliber and shot placement would be the deciding factors. A .357 would work for a small black bear where-as a full grown Griz would be best dealt with using a "12 gauge slug" at fairly close range.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Handguns for Bear Defense: Will Any of Them Stop the Threat?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/handguns-for-bear-defense/.

Enjoyed reading the article as it was well written. I don’t take many casual walks in the woods lately but I do get wildlife calls that take me sometimes into fields with areas of dense brush.
I’ve only twice encountered a predator (coyotes) trying to eat what I was working to save only once did I shoot to kill it as it was getting more interested in me than the bird.
I’m glad the Elite 10mm compact was discussed as that is my EDC right now and I do go out on calls with my XDM 4.5inch 45ACP.

Good information on loads + foot pounds of impact power on certain ammunition.

My EDC is a Springfield (loaded model) 5"with an 18.5 recoil spring. My carry load for 2 legged or 4 legged anything is Double Taps .450 SMC in 230 gr JHP. 1130 fps with basically the same ballistics as a 10mm. They also make a 455-gr. hard cast which I would pick if I were going where the bears are. Still rather have a rifle.

Both bear spray & handguns are not discouraged, and both are commonly carried in my state which has the most abundant and wide-spread griz population in the lower 48.
When I’ve been in your neck of the woods, and with people that wanted to venture off the beaten path…my choice has been a S&W 657 with 255gr HCFN…switched to 175gr Silvertips when on the beaten path.

Never needed either, thank Crom.

Enjoyed reading the article as it was well written. I don’t take many casual walks in the woods lately but I do get wildlife calls that take me sometimes into fields with areas of dense brush.
I’ve only twice encountered a predator (coyotes) trying to eat what I was working to save only once did I shoot to kill it as it was getting more interested in me than the bird.
I’m glad the Elite 10mm compact was discussed as that is my EDC right now and I do go out on calls with my XDM 4.5inch 45ACP.

Good information on loads + foot pounds of impact power on certain ammunition.
1665444834977.jpeg

So @Keystone19250 and Arnold are the only ones that survived a “predator” attack………impressive! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Most hollow point ammo is now made to the FBI standard of 12-18” of penetration. That’s not going to get too far in a large bear intent on snapping off your body parts…
I watched a gigantic black bear yesterday from about 40 yards as it fed. From the safety of my vehicle that thing had me puckered up!

While there are random documented cases of lesser calibers (9mm, 38 Special, etc) working effectively to deter a bear, I wouldn't use the existence of such instances to inform my caliber choice. I live at the nexus of Idaho/Montana/Wyoming, and we have no shortage of grizz (along with lots of other large 4-legged predators), and I've come to believe it's wise to carry the most powerful caliber you can shoot accurately and repeatedly, because it's probably not going to be over after one or two shots.

Most bear attacks tend to happen at very close range, and very quickly. Whatever you choose to carry, have it very quickly accessible, and practice with your carry rig.

And as @nmedge said, learn to practice avoidance. Maintain situational awareness and make noise, especially in areas of limited visibility. Keep a clean camp and don't sleep anywhere near things that smell attractive. And finally, as @Talyn said, there are signficant differences between black bears and grizz - in size and power, and also in typical behavior.

Back