testtest

Handguns for Bear Defense: Will Any of Them Stop the Threat?

The coyote wasn’t as ugly as that.
1665455161593.gif

Back in the mid-90s, I was biking a woody trail in North Vancouver (BC) with some buddies. They had gotten ahead of me, so I was alone, pedaling through what looked like a green cathedral. Out of the underbrush, a baby black bear scooted, and proceeded to ramble across the trail in front of me. I figured Mom had to be close and started whooping it up (and pedaling a heck of a lot faster). The trail broke off into a switchback and I rode down to a paved path where my friends waited.

"What was all that noise?" one asked.

"There was a bear up there," I said.

"No bears in these woods; we're too close to the city."

"Right."

I paid a lot more attention on future rides - especially since I didn't have spray, guns or anything; just my two feet and those pedals.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Handguns for Bear Defense: Will Any of Them Stop the Threat?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/handguns-for-bear-defense/.

I lived in SC Alaska for 12 years and have lived in SW Montana for 14 years. I have had Alaskan brown bears and grizzlies within 10 yards on 3 separate occasions, and a hunting partner and I were followed by a grizzly for 18 hours, following us from the ice fields edge near the crest of the Wrangell Mts in that area (as we each packed out a Dall sheep ram). In none of those cases did I (we) have the need to shoot a bear.

Twice, the concussive blast from a 41 Magnum fired over the bears head, dissuaded them that further close inspection was unwise. Was that a good strategy? It worked twice, might not have a 3rd time. Seemed to be a better option than trying to stop them with a direct hit.

I hold to the belief that the gun you have is much more valuable than whatever you could have otherwise, caliber notwithstanding.

I live in the pacific northwest in an area you can often see signs at trailheads warning about grizzly bears, telling you to put you food in bear bags, etc. I've fortunately never been confronted by a bear, so all I can add is my opinion based on research I've done.

My friends and I usually carry 10mm with loads from either Underwood or Buffalo bore. Both have muzzle energy ratings right around the 700 ft-pound mark. (Buffalo bore is 703, Underwood is something like 697). My view on the pistol vs. revolver question is this: my xdm with a compensator makes the recoil very manageable, and I can have 15+1 rounds with relatively easy follow up shots. 703×16=11,248. 1000×5=5,000. Of course I very well might not get all 16 rounds out in time, but I will certainly get more out than I could with a big revolver that has more recoil.

I always go with hard cast flat nose bullets. Like someone else mentioned, a Hollow Point probably won't penetrate deep enough to reach the vitals on a large bear. And they probably won't go through the skull either. I've thankfully never had to shoot a bear, but I've seen videos of the hard cast 10mm rounds we carry blasting straight through 5 feet of ballistics gel, or multiple 2x4s with gel in between.

I also remember a story of a guy in Alaska that dropped a grizzly with 2 shots of 10mm HSM Bear Load. That load is only 481 ft-lbs (hard cast flat nose) but he's probably a way better shot than me...

And yes, a rifle or shotgun can pack a lot more power, but is much more cumbersome. I have bear spray but only for unique situations like maybe if there are people on the other side of the bear.

I'm not an expert by any means, but there's my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
In my state the news recently reported an incident between a bird hunter & a 667 lb. male griz (in known griz country). Sudden close-range incident with no warning.

The bird hunter wounded the bear with both his shotgun & a handgun, and was chewed on a bit, but the wounded bear was scared off.

FWP had to locate the bear & put it down. The bear had no prior interactions with humans.

I live in the pacific northwest in an area you can often see signs at trailheads warning about grizzly bears, telling you to put you food in bear bags, etc. I've fortunately never been confronted by a bear, so all I can add is my opinion based on research I've done.

My friends and I usually carry 10mm with loads from either Underwood or Buffalo bore. Both have muzzle energy ratings right around the 700 ft-pound mark. (Buffalo bore is 703, Underwood is something like 697). My view on the pistol vs. revolver question is this: my xdm with a compensator makes the recoil very manageable, and I can have 15+1 rounds with relatively easy follow up shots. 703×16=11,248. 1000×5=5,000. Of course I very well might not get all 16 rounds out in time, but I will certainly get more out than I could with a big revolver that has more recoil.

I always go with hard cast flat nose bullets. Like someone else mentioned, a Hollow Point probably won't penetrate deep enough to reach the vitals on a large bear. And they probably won't go through the skull either. I've thankfully never had to shoot a bear, but I've seen videos of the hard cast 10mm rounds we carry blasting straight through 5 feet of ballistics gel, or multiple 2x4s with gel in between.

I also remember a story of a guy in Alaska that dropped a grizzly with 2 shots of 10mm HSM Bear Load. That load is only 481 ft-lbs (hard cast flat nose) but he's probably a way better shot than me...

And yes, a rifle or shotgun can pack a lot more power, but is much more cumbersome. I have bear spray but only for unique situations like maybe if there are people on the other side of the bear.

I'm not an expert by any means, but there's my 2 cents worth.
I would tend to agree with you. For handgun, it would be the XDM 10mm with 5" barrel and 2 magazines. If it was long gun I would go with my Henry 45-70 spouting a 405 grain lead cast.

In my state the news recently reported an incident between a bird hunter & a 667 lb. male griz (in known griz country). Sudden close-range incident with no warning.

The bird hunter wounded the bear with both his shotgun & a handgun, and was chewed on a bit, but the wounded bear was scared off.

FWP had to locate the bear & put it down. The bear had no prior interactions with humans.
"The bear had no prior interactions with humans."

They checked his contact list. All contacts were of the 4-legged variety.

My thoughts as to why bigger is better. On the 10 it is really about the same as the 45 acp since most comparison is to the slow 230 gr, never have I seen it compared to the 45 app in the 185 or 200 gr +p. My 460 rowland on a Glock 21 pistol gives me the 14 shot 255 gr at 1300 fps but I figure 5-6 shots accurately at most and probably less and any of my big bore revolvers will put the same damage with 2-3 shots. I base this on you have about 6 seconds in real life, set up the scenario and see how many hits from draw to shoot in 6 seconds.
Here is my load ballistics 45 colt 350gr hardcast 1300+ fps, 480ruger/475linebaugh 420gr hardcast
1250 fps, 500 Linebaugh 410-450 gr hardcast at 1300+ fps, 460 rowland 255gr hardcast at 1300 fps and 230 gr hardcast at1336 fps, 45 acp 255gr hardcast at 1075 185gr at 1162- 200gr at 954- 230 gr at 910.
I don't care about foot pounds since it is very deceiving penetration is what matters and I refer you to Tim at Buffalo Bore and his writings concerning the comparison between the .223 and the 45-70.
Anything always beats nothing and bigger is better the 10 beats the 9, the 41 beats the 357 the 44 beats all below it .
My son and 2 grandsons carry 500 s&w because bigger is better, I load for all above mentioned.
One last thought go to Jackson Wy. to the downtown sporting goods store and look up at the mounted grizzly and then think of the small hole in your pistol barrel.
And remember 6 seconds and practice.

No MENTION of the fastest Semi Auto Pistol in the world. My particular favorite of which is the Desert Eagle in the .44 Magnum... 300 grain Hornady hunting loads. Not that I would go looking for the bear sh1tting in the woods, but I wouldn't wear bells either.

Attachments

• Photo on 7-2-17 at 11.52 AM.jpg
    Photo on 7-2-17 at 11.52 AM.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 93
Back