testtest

Five Essential Backpacking Items

The article is well written but I absolutely disagree with it.

A sleeping pad isn't necessary for survival.

Where is the Land Nav? Where's the fire starter? Where is the shelter? And why in the hell are you paying over $100 for a Kaydyn when you can get a Sawyer Mini for $20?

I go by the rule of the ten Essentials. This is what is in my backpack all the time.

Navigation: Silva Explorer Pro Orienteering Compass/topo map

Illumination: Fenix UC35

Sun protection: sunglasses, Tilley Endurables hat.

First aid: Small IFAK. One of my last security assignments was at a warehouse for a shipping company. They moved out and we guarded an empty warehouse for 2 years until they sold it. After about a year of nobody being there I went through the first aid stations that were still in the warehouse and I took out enough supplies to build myself a small trauma kit.

Knife: SAK Trekker, my Gerber Srong Arm and a Fiskars packable saw. I also always have a Gerber Multitool on me.

Fire I have a Ferro Rod and fire starter tinder sticks and a Sterno Stove I've used for years.

Shelter Packable ultra light sleeping bag/ Tarp/ packable Rain jacket and pants I've had forever.

Extra food Beyond the minimum expectation: I'm 60 pounds overweight, this one is NOT a priority.

Extra water Beyond the minimum expectation. 3 liter bladder, Sawyer Mini filter.

Extra clothes Beyond the minimum expectation: packable Cabela's Windshere Fleece I've had forever.

Plus a couple Magpul Glock Magazines and a box of Golden Saber JHPs.

And a couple of emergency whistles and a folding shovel and TP.

And a small repair kit.

Last edited:
The article isn't specifically about survival.

And if you don't live in a colder climate, you could get by without a sleeping pad on soft ground. But the authors points about using a sleeping pad in colder conditions is spot on and sleeping on hard/frozen ground isn't comfortable at all.

And if you live anywhere where the possibility of rain can occur during a trip then rain gear is essential. Plus, rain gear can do double-duty as a wind breaker and provide some insulation if temps get chilly.

Aside from the few CO trip pics in the vid, the pics in the article looked like summertime in a flatland southern/eastern forest and he looked over dressed.

Last edited:
Here’s what I keep
in my backpack.
1666031065572.jpeg

The article isn't specifically about survival.
Yes but...

So maybe I don't disagree with the article but it could have been worded better. How about instead of saying a sleeping pad we say a sleeping system?

If a tent is not on the list why can't I use a hammock instead of a sleeping pad? Why can't I use a bivy hammock which gives me something to sleep on and something to keep the rain off of me?

And I'm still going to say that he neglected Land Navigation which is absolutely essential and he neglected something to start a fire with

I wouldn't take the article literally as must-do. It seemed to me to be more of a starting point fluff piece for newbies.

Everyone needs to make gear adjustments for the seasonal and/or hiking/backpacking conditions that they will encounter.

As per your points I always carry map & compass & fire-starting gear even when going hunting because you never know if/when something unexpectedly happens where you have to spend the night

We shouldn't be talking about backpacking in the 21st century without talking about Ultralight backpacking. Why carry extra weight? We have the technology to be safe and comfortable with a 10lb base weight. Everything mentioned in this article is heavier than it needs to be. Use a Sawyer filter for $30 that weighs 3 ounces. Use a 10° down quilt that weighs 19 ounces. Nobody hikes long distances with any of the gear mentioned in the article, except maybe the trekking poles. Its all too heavy. There are better and lighter alternatives.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Five Essential Backpacking Items” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/five-essential-backpacking-items/.

A good article on basic backpacking essential items albeit costly. That being said you need to know your limitations on what you’re taking with you based on your physical fitness needs.
I will say this “for me” sleeping on the ground? No thank you. Extended hiking trips? No.

A good article on basic backpacking essential items albeit costly. That being said you need to know your limitations on what you’re taking with you based on your physical fitness needs.
I will say this “for me” sleeping on the ground? No thank you. Extended hiking trips? No.
I'm with you. This is a good article for people like Talyn who do extended hiking trips in the mountains. I'll sleep on the ground if I need to, or in a car or at the kitchen table, but I don't do extended hiking trips. The things in my pack are definitely not going to be the same as the things in the authors pack.

It's a good article though.

This is one of my go to gear reviewers.

Apparently the only adult job she's ever had was working for REI. I don't care for Rei's politics but they do so good equipment and This Woman's pretty knowledgeable about it

I'm with you. This is a good article for people like Talyn who do extended hiking trips in the mountains. I'll sleep on the ground if I need to, or in a car or at the kitchen table, but I don't do extended hiking trips. The things in my pack are definitely not going to be the same as the things in the authors pack.

It's a good article though.
The author covers most of the basics with some notable gear MIA, but I don't think he thought about a few things, like proper footwear, and not prepared for sudden localized weather changes which can happen up high. I've lost count of the folks I've seen up high wearing flip-flops & having no water.

My advice is, think about if a worst-case scenario (mobility or serious bleeding accident) could happen because that could happen on even a simple day hike.

Of course, those that live in other parts of the country should assess the risks and gear needs that could occur in the areas that they will go into.

Back