testtest

Will Your Mags Fail You?

Although my testing is never that extensive I do make sure they function correctly when I receive new ones ordered or the ones that come with the gun. After that one time I’ll maybe check them once a year.
I’ve honestly never had issues with any of my Springfield handguns or the magazines I run in them.
Just lucky I guess.

Although my testing is never that extensive I do make sure they function correctly when I receive new ones ordered or the ones that come with the gun. After that one time I’ll maybe check them once a year.
I’ve honestly never had issues with any of my Springfield handguns or the magazines I run in them.
Just lucky I guess.
Some of those tests are very redundant. Like doing the same test with a mag with 1, 2 and full capacity. I can see doing it with 1 and at full capacity, but with 2 ? For what ? If it runs with 1 and it runs full, it runs.

These days, my magazine testing is not too different than the author's. An experience several years back, convinced me of the need to test. Prior to that, it wasn't a subject I practiced with any regularity.
That experience with my old CC Weapon, a Walther PPK/S, proved to me the needs for magazine testing. After buying several MecGar Aftermarket Mags for my PPK/S, and each having each Mag fail to function properly, after I'd been carrying them for a few months, was an eye opener and Aw Sh*t moment on my lackadaisical habit. Even though MecGar manufactures Walther's brand name magazines, their house brand economical alternate, does not receive the same level of QC is all I can conclude, but as each one failed in the exact same way, something about the mags differed enough from factory spec, to cause the malfunction.
Long story short, buying cheap could have had catastrophic consequences. Now, every mag I own, is rigorously tested for function. If it fails, it's replaced.

These days, my magazine testing is not too different than the author's. An experience several years back, convinced me of the need to test. Prior to that, it wasn't a subject I practiced with any regularity.
That experience with my old CC Weapon, a Walther PPK/S, proved to me the needs for magazine testing. After buying several MecGar Aftermarket Mags for my PPK/S, and each having each Mag fail to function properly, after I'd been carrying them for a few months, was an eye opener and Aw Sh*t moment on my lackadaisical habit. Even though MecGar manufactures Walther's brand name magazines, their house brand economical alternate, does not receive the same level of QC is all I can conclude, but as each one failed in the exact same way, something about the mags differed enough from factory spec, to cause the malfunction.
Long story short, buying cheap could have had catastrophic consequences. Now, every mag I own, is rigorously tested for function. If it fails, it's replaced.
The only mags I have ever had fail were Mec Gar aftermarket 10 round mags for a Llama Max II double stack .45
My factory 13 rounders work fine.

I am not a professional gunslinger, I shoot for relaxation. However, I do run all my mags through a couple tests but not to the point that I would call paranoid. So far I have only had one failure and it was on a mag just shipped from the company. Sent it back a year ago, still waiting for the replacement. I no longer buy mags or weapons from the company.

I am not a professional gunslinger, I shoot for relaxation. However, I do run all my mags through a couple tests but not to the point that I would call paranoid. So far I have only had one failure and it was on a mag just shipped from the company. Sent it back a year ago, still waiting for the replacement. I no longer buy mags or weapons from the company.
What company if I may ask ? I won't do business with them ... generally gun companys are pretty upstanding

I have been shooting for quite a number of years as a lot of guys on this forum and I have never had and problems with any magazines until recently when I bought some ED BROWN 8 round 1911 Mags when they had a five mag special. One of the first things I do when getting new magazines is to load them up fully and empty them by hand. The first one I loaded went great until the last three rounds and the follower stuck about an inch from the top. The other four were not very smooth emptying but the followers didnt stick. Very disconcerting to say the least because now I dont and wont trust these . I will let you all know what ED BROWN return policy is. Have any of you used their magazines?

I have been shooting for quite a number of years as a lot of guys on this forum and I have never had and problems with any magazines until recently when I bought some ED BROWN 8 round 1911 Mags when they had a five mag special. One of the first things I do when getting new magazines is to load them up fully and empty them by hand. The first one I loaded went great until the last three rounds and the follower stuck about an inch from the top. The other four were not very smooth emptying but the followers didnt stick. Very disconcerting to say the least because now I dont and wont trust these . I will let you all know what ED BROWN return policy is. Have any of you used their magazines?
I have some I got from one of their trade in offers. Not overly impressed. I had problems with one of them. I second McCormick or Wilson Combat.

I take my new mags to the range several times before I put them into rotation for my EDC. Great article and I will start running some of the test on my new magazines. I use Wilson Combat for most of my 1911’s. I’ve had Plenty of magazines that didn’t work properly. I mark them and use them at the Range. Failure to lock to the rear was the largest problem. Magazines failures was a major problem when competing.

Attachments

• ACC6596F-A357-4085-876B-76DE156D2F5D.jpeg
    ACC6596F-A357-4085-876B-76DE156D2F5D.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 100
Back