testtest

Gunfight in the Dark: Would You Survive?

In a tactical situation vs homeowner use they will greatly differ from LE methods but there are some factors that will apply to all. Bad guys hide and ply under the cloak of darkness. Good guys need to capitalize on that advantage too.

My opinion has always been that using a flashlight in a very dark place has only one diadvantage - lighting up the area of the one carrying the light. I feel it creates more reflective light than needed if searching for an armed bad guy. Intermittent use but low power level might be a good idea just so one doesn't trip or fall into a hole in unfamiliar surroundings.

As for holding a light and shooting back and forth - SHTF - I’m not sure how long I’d be keeping that light on in my free hand regardless of how it’s positioned.

This has to considered…
If an intruder is secreted in a dark place, their eyes are already accustomed to that dark, maybe with just enough ambient light for them to make out movement and surroundings. Turning off that flashlight will cause pupils to react by dilation and maybe for those few moments the “blue spot” appears in your vision field until they adapt to the darkness.
Use of bright light (dark place) will either reflect that light backwards and to the sides…. or blind that intruder, but they will have the slight advantage of cover.
Giving one‘s “natural night vision” a chance to work might be a better approach and all really depends on the surroundings inside or outside.

Its important to use the right flashlight too, as lens/reflectors have different throw or beam patterns, from narrow spotlight to broad flood light. Rotating focus lens is nice feature put never found one that can deliver both in high lumen and decent throw distance without paying big $$.

A EDC flashlight is a valued tool and I have one on me and in a couple places around the house. Hopefully the use of a flashlight is a last action and not for actively searching with it on all the time, but just to illuminate an area where an evil subject has already been located.

Excellent article. Can someone give a recommendation on a good, small flashlight? I am unfamiliar with this topic. Most sales literature tout the superiority of their product. I don’t wish to spend money on something I’ll later discover is junk.

I’d be happy with something that reliably works, doesn’t need expensive “123” batteries, and, switches “on” to a bright light with one click only (not forced to click through multiple options).

First off, there are distinctly different circumstances, on the street, in the bedroom, know your area well, do not know the area at all, capably trained and know your firearm as if it were a part of your body, not too comfortable with your firearm, etc. I feel most comfortable in the off hand away from body. Using intermittent blasts of light only to identify or in unknown areas to look for obstacles. I feel a comfort level like this do to the fact this is how we trained. Training is the key! Find a place to safe place to practice in the dark, in dim light with shadows, in full moon light, etc.

Answer: yes, I will😉🙂

C0417866-A8CF-4DED-8552-25A5CD0B89A8.jpeg
4AC52EC0-888C-411A-AF5E-47A0F560D6CC.jpeg
85D68BE5-3F00-4E6D-952B-BDC044E2520F.jpeg

I always carry three flashlights, a SureFire G2Z MaxVision Combat Light and a SureFire E2T-MV Tactician. The Tactician is my daily use for anything light, set to low or high as appropriate. I have the lanyard set up so I can wrap it around my hand in a way that allows me to use both hands without holding the light. I pull it out anytime I need a light, it sits clipped in my front pocket.

The Combat Light is only pulled out in conjunction with my pistol. It sits in a dedicated holster on my belt behind my two spare magazines. I know the batteries aren't dead or dying because it is never used.

I do also carry a small Inova light in my pocket for the times someone asks if they can borrow my flashlight.

Fortunately at the range I'm a member of they have an indoor range where you can turn off the lights and practice in the dark.

Excellent article. Can someone give a recommendation on a good, small flashlight? I am unfamiliar with this topic. Most sales literature tout the superiority of their product. I don’t wish to spend money on something I’ll later discover is junk.

I’d be happy with something that reliably works, doesn’t need expensive “123” batteries, and, switches “on” to a bright light with one click only (not forced to click through multiple options).
My everyday light is a Fenix RC05SE. Apparently the SE is a special order for REI. It has the tail cap switch as opposed to a button on the side. It also remembers the last brightness setting that you used.

It's 4 inches long, just a little bit more than 5/8 in outer diameter. It has a clip but I can't really speak one way or the other about it because I never use it I just carry it in my pocket.

This is what Fenix has to say about it

The Fenix RC05 SE (Special Edition) rechargeable flashlight is built off the popular Fenix RC05. This special edition adds a tactical rear switch for on/off and momentary use. By adding the rear switch it transforms the light into our more popular two switch system, allowing the user to turn on from the rear switch and choose mode from side switch. All the other attractive features of the RC05 were kept like the innovative magnetic charging port. From a single 14500 rechargeable Li-ion battery (included), this flashlight emits a maximum 300 lumens a distance of almost 300 feet. This compact flashlight is very small and light weight, and its two-position clip allows you to easily clip it to your gear or onto your hat for hands-free use. The IP68 rating, which means it is both waterproof to 2m and dust proof, allows you to have light even in the harshest of environments. Small, lightweight and rechargeable, the FenixRC05SE rechargeable flashlight will be your go-to flashlight for camping, backpacking or every day use.The only issue that I have with it is that it's not strictly speaking usb-rechargeable.

I actually use a basic Energizer 700 lumen flashlight I got at Lowes for about 4 yrs now. Like them so much, I got 4 more. Truck, 2 gun bags, backpack and kitchen house drawer.
Small, compact, affordable and surprising rugged.
Goes out every hog hunt.
If I’m not in NVG’s, this light is in hand. Not a big weapon light fan. Have them, but rarely use them.

Not realistic to point a weapon mounted around scanning for items when you have 5-10 other folks standing with you

I worked as a security guard for 15 years. Almost half of that was nights.

There were very few places that I went to that had zero ambient light.

This is totally off topic but there was one place way out in the county that I had to go check that was 7 miles off the nearest paved road. Anytime there was a meteor shower I would try to time that check for the high point of the meteor shower. There was a place on the road where I could stop my car and there wasn't a single man made light all the way to the Horizon.

I carried a flashlight every night but I used it more for mundane tasks than anything else.

Any time I had to approach an unknown person at work I bright beamed them but that's not something I would ever do off the clock.

Even the very few times I had to clear buildings, none of them were so dark I couldn't navigate my way through them. Although I most assuredly used a light.

I actually use a basic Energizer 700 lumen flashlight I got at Lowes for about 4 yrs now. Like them so much, I got 4 more. Truck, 2 gun bags, backpack and kitchen house drawer.
Small, compact, affordable and surprising rugged.
Goes out every hog hunt.
If I’m not in NVG’s, this light is in hand. Not a big weapon light fan. Have them, but rarely use them.

Not realistic to point a weapon mounted around scanning for items when you have 5-10 other folks standing with you

Same. I have them on a couple of guns, but barring a home invasion, zombie apocalypse or training class they will never be used. Streamlight Pro Tac rail mount with pressure pads. Both fairly recent purchases. Really even in a home invasion they probably won't be used. I have low level lighting and even with no lights on I can navigate my house easily and see one of the cats if I come across them. It's pretty much a sure bet that my night eyes will outperform anyone who was to kick my door in. Unless they have a flashlight, in which case they'll never even see or hear me coming.

The first WML I bought years ago for a shotgun is a $40 Feyachi. The janky mount broke and it now does duty as a regular old flashlight. It is bright as the sun and came with 2 rechargeable batteries and the charger.

If an intruder entered my “dark space” I have the advantage of knowing the layout of of that space……(if)
I was out and about at night
“highly unlikely” I believe it comes down to situational awareness.
There will always be a “bump” in the night it’s how you plan and train for it is the reality of your success on surviving.

Good article. From my experience with Detroit PD back when we still used 2 and 3 D cell MAG LIGHTS (as much a weapon as a light) away from the body seemed more comforting- incoming is directed at the light three feet from your body while you still had the option for non- lethal force by whacking them with the MAG.

Good article. From my experience with Detroit PD back when we still used 2 and 3 D cell MAG LIGHTS (as much a weapon as a light) away from the body seemed more comforting- incoming is directed at the light three feet from your body while you still had the option for non- lethal force by whacking them with the MAG.
Still own one, since they are not LED’s not the brightest light on the market and very heavy but agree great weapon when needed.
C75EC186-95FF-448E-9C83-EB55A166D9C9.jpeg

If I use a light in a night situation, I’m not holding the light outstretched away from the body.
Almost everyone I see at the range cannot hit center target. If they aim for the light to shoot me and I’m 2’ to the left of that light, the chances of me getting shot are extremely high. If i have the light in my hand and they aim at the light, they’re going to shoot right past my arms.
Ya’ll laugh. Then look at the targets, the wall or the ceiling at your local range.( dirt , berms, or trees outdoors) and see all the bullet strikes.
Most folks cannot hit squat aiming for center. My chances are pretty good I wont take a center mass shot.

Still own one, since they are not LED’s not the brightest light on the market and very heavy but agree great weapon when needed.View attachment 38871
I prefer the now defunct 5 C cell version. Slightly thinner giving my hand a better grip and it's a bit longer.

For every day carry and home use.

Lights need to be simple on/off or momentary on/off. Forget the strobe nonsense, it is a gimmick that will cause trouble. Your light also needs to have flat sides on the head so it won't roll around on the floor if you set it down or drop it. With a brief flash of light on and off your brain will register your opponent's position and remember that in the dark for several seconds. I have not seen a handleld light that exceeds the capabilities of Surefire tactical lights

Back