testtest

Gunfight in the Dark: Would You Survive?

That'll keep the boogerman at bay!
20230421_131155.jpg

I have more faith in this

Excellent article. Can someone give a recommendation on a good, small flashlight? I am unfamiliar with this topic. Most sales literature tout the superiority of their product. I don’t wish to spend money on something I’ll later discover is junk.

I’d be happy with something that reliably works, doesn’t need expensive “123” batteries, and, switches “on” to a bright light with one click only (not forced to click through multiple options).
I have had this flashlight for a few months. It uses either AA or CR123A batteries. I ordered a 6 pack of Duracell CR123A batteries from Amazon. I prefer the light with the CR123As but it's nice to be able to use AA batteries.

I also like how you can clip this light to a hat and that it's not too big or too small.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Gunfight in the Dark: Would You Survive?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/low-light-close-range-realistic-tactics-for-the-armed-citizen/.

Good article.
I worked security and bouncer work at night for many years.

I've had weapons pulled on me in a parking lot. I've dealt with a group of drunk people not wanting to leave, etc, etc.

I have done a lot of martial arts training with and against weapons. Escrima/Arnis specializes in training with knives and Bolos or Machetes. I know how dangerous a person with a knife or bat can be. Training with knives/machetes/bolos makes your reflexes faster than just training with empty hands. The striking ranges change dramatically with edged weapons. It's pretty scary.

When dealing with a bad guy with an Axe or knife, the biggest thing I teach my martial arts students is to create as much distance as possible without falling to the ground as you're retreating, because that sometimes happens when you're trying to move away from a threat. You sometimes stumble over your own feet when terrain changes from asphalt to grass, etc. We do scenario training and stumbling happens sometimes, so we also train how to get back on your feet efficiently and safely.

We train to take short steps forward or back, called "drag step" or "step drag" footwork. This footwork is very useful in low light conditions. You have to put in a lot of reps before you can do it without much thought. I still practice drag-steps in my house and in the back yard where no one can see me..:)

When dealing against a baseball or knife you either want to be far enough away to draw your weapon (knife, bat, firearm) or close enough to jam their weapon. Jamming the weapon is a very dangerous move but if it's a choice between being at medium striking range and taking the blunt of the weapon or stepping and jamming the weapon, jamming the weapon in my opinion and experience, is a better choice. Sometimes when you jam the weapon you knock the attacker off balance. I've had that happen when I was attacked with a non-firearm.

When I lived in rural Arkansas I sometimes had people drive on my property at night. I usually had a flashlight in one hand and a revolver or 1911(that I could manipulate with one hand). I always had my weapon behind my back or down at my side, never pointing up or toward the trespasser.

I still do this when I hear a noise in the night or my dog starts growling. I live in a small Texas town and there's a lot more light around here than when I lived out in the country in rural Arkansas.

I specifically trained shooting one handed sometimes so that I didn't always have to use 2 hands to fire my handgun. And still do one handed shooting practice. I won't own a firearm I can't safely handle with one hand. I recently acquired a Glock 19 Gen 5 and it's super easy for me to handle and shoot one handed. The Glock also has night sites. I also have a S&W 638 Bodyguard with Hogue grips that's handy for night duty.

A good flashlight that can easily be handled with one hand was what I preferred and still prefer. The flashlights they make now are much better than the ones I used when I worked security. Streamlight brand flashlights are expensive, but in my view, worth the extra money. I prefer battery powered flashlights but I think rechargeable lights have come a long way.

In my truck I have a magnetic LED light that has 2 lights and can be attached to anything metal. I got it at an auto parts store. It uses 2 AA batteries and still works great after having it for a couple of years. It's easy to use one handed. (I have a drawer of spare AA, AAA batteries for my flashlights. Next to my drawer of spare Karambit and other knives..:)).

I've learned from experience and martial arts training that under stress the holes in your tactics and training come out. When you're able to survive a violent situation without getting hurt or hurting an innocent person, you should go back and try to work on what you did wrong and improve what you did right.

One of the first things I try to do under stress is get my mind right and for me that starts with taking a deep breath and not over-stressing and dealing with one thing at a time, not try to overthink the situation. Having good gear and simple tactics you can do under stress is helpful.

Jamming a gun assumes they have a semi-auto. Who knows. If you have a dog, use it. One, a dog will alert you to trouble before you know about it and I a not reluctant to let a dog investigate while I prepare and move out.
Bats aren't as tricky as edged weapons considering that you can identify either before the engagement.

Back