testtest

Vortex Defender-CCW Torture Test: How Tough Is This Red Dot?

I put one on my Ruger Max 9 that co-witnesses. I opted for a 6 MOA dot due to my aging eyes. I like the top mounted battery and direct mounting on the slide cut. In doing research, I discounted models that used mounting plates among others. Multiple screws (4 per size) were included, along with rubber cover and battery/screw tool (broke loosening plate screw). Backyard renovation has kept me from the range and I can't wait to burn through some rounds.

Attachments

• red dot.jpeg
    red dot.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
I put one on my Ruger Max 9 that co-witnesses. I opted for a 6 MOA dot due to my aging eyes. I like the top mounted battery and direct mounting on the slide cut. In doing research, I discounted models that used mounting plates among others. Multiple screws (4 per size) were included, along with rubber cover and battery/screw tool (broke loosening plate screw). Backyard renovation has kept me from the range and I can't wait to burn through some rounds.
Man, I am so sick of back yard renovation. I have about 40' of privacy fence yet to get to, at least 3 trees that need to come down and I need to get my deck built this year. Not to mention constant regular yard maintenance. I have been off work since Thursday and don't go back until a week from tomorrow and was hoping to get some things done. I have however been sidetracked by my aging pickup truck. 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD. It's up on stands in the garage while I replace upper and lower control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, calipers, wheel bearing/hub assemblies on both sides. Yesterday I cracked the spindle ( steering knuckle) tightening the upper ball joint down. Back in the old days these things were steel. Now they're cast aluminum. Guess I'll need to break out the torque wrenches after all. Then my brake line on the driver side broke. After the front end gets all put back together I still have to replace the cat converter, some brake lines in the back, the rear pinion seal, the oil sending unit sensor and all the 02 sensors. Then get it aligned and inspected.

My mechanic quoted me $2400 to do all that and my wife decided I could save a lot of that money by spending my entire week of vacation under the truck, breaking :poop: and cussing.

I don't do vehicle mechanics anymore, my back can't take it. The wife and I put in 5,000 lbs. of pavers to extend our patio. Then spread 8 ton of gravel. Each of those took a week to recover. Another 6 ton of gravel was to come yesterday and they called a few minutes after delivery time to say they couldn't do it. Blah, blah, blah. I had a friend there to help. Not sure when they'll get around to it, but it's getting hot around here. I couldn't afford to have a landscape company do it, soooooooo, I'll be glad when we finish. To think I used to be a fitter and welder working long days and weeks. Ah, to be 50 again. Sorry to complain, it sucks getting old.

I don't do vehicle mechanics anymore, my back can't take it. The wife and I put in 5,000 lbs. of pavers to extend our patio. Then spread 8 ton of gravel. Each of those took a week to recover. Another 6 ton of gravel was to come yesterday and they called a few minutes after delivery time to say they couldn't do it. Blah, blah, blah. I had a friend there to help. Not sure when they'll get around to it, but it's getting hot around here. I couldn't afford to have a landscape company do it, soooooooo, I'll be glad when we finish. To think I used to be a fitter and welder working long days and weeks. Ah, to be 50 again. Sorry to complain, it sucks getting old.
I hear ya. I'm 54 and my job keeps me pretty active for an old dude. I do a lot of fitting. These days I do a lot of welding too, but just for my own stuff and for the range at the gun club I belong to.

I crushed discs in my lower back when I was 22 or 23. I remember exactly what I was doing too. And it was stupid. I go to a chiropractor every so often. My back is humming pretty good right now actually. I also have a bad knee.

Believe me, I didn't want to do this stuff to my truck either. I would have been happier letting the mechanic do it and paying the $2600 off on the credit card. But at least this way I went ahead and did all the suspension and steering parts on both sides of the truck. That stuff I just did would have cost me $1200 just for the left side to have him do it. I got about $600 in parts to do both sides. Well I think. Not sure now that I had to buy a spindle. The good thing is I have a big garage and every kind of automotive tool you can imagine ( except a ball joint press, which I had to borrow). My wife's dad was a diesel/dump truck mechanic ( among other things) and left her ( and by proxy, me) a full compliment of Snap on and Mac tools.

Back