testtest

Will You Be Able to Shoot in Time to Stop an Attack?

After deciding the type of handgun and caliber one wants to carry on a regular basis, the issues discussed here the next big hurdles to clear. No matter what one carries, if he or she can't access a concealed weapon at the moment it is needed it's no better than a paper weight. Another varible I find is that if the attitudes of the general public tends to be anti-gun where one lives then one has to cover up more or risk enduring a soccer mom meltdown in the Kroger check out line.

Once the physical battle is on the issue becomes a fight to avoid being disarmed and potential further harms, “…things might be very different for a police officer who knows that he is responding to potential danger versus an armed citizen who finds himself caught up in the middle of something…”

These days, danger should be considered on every corner thanks to the current social justice climate of lenient courts. Lawlessness is everywhere.
How some are conditioned to live; Nobody passerby gets an even break. Everyone is a potential crime suspect.
Nice fear system they created, huh? But just don’t go profile, label or criticize someone fresh out on no cash bail because that’s just not nice-nice… to be without inclusion, acceptance and tolerance.
I digress.
The article is a nice compliment to the earlier post from @Mike H. “The Art of One-Handed Shooting”, also from @Talyn posting about “Is Retention Shooting A Good Idea”.

Winter coming and always found Carhartt coats (and others) having the dual up/down front zipper handy for quick access to pants pockets and also seating comfort while driving.

Another option I recall, haven’t seen one lately is a tactical-type jacket with side panel zippers (to accommodate OWB holsters), this might be on longer length coats rather than jackets.

Cold hands, no gloves. Also an inside pocket with a clever flap or opening would be nice to allow access while hand is still in pocket.

The one holster the author didn't mention was the pocket holster. I've tried all kinds of different holsters for my Glock 26 (my go to gun) and I keep coming back to my pocket holster that I have been using for several years. Ergonomically for me it is the best set up.

To me on this article, it all comes down to training with your gun, most under stress will likely freeze for a second or two, which could be disastrous, just my thoughts
Yep. Dry fire training at home with a timer will clearly reveal where we are on the response curve. I practice my draw several times a day, usually with a garment clear involved. But even using my Mantis X system, drawing from an OWB holster, and getting a trigger pull on target using a random timer window is not as easy as most would believe.

If the three keys to real estate are location, location, location, the three keys to being able to defend oneself well enough to survive an encounter are practice, practice, practice.

P.S. If at all possible, stay the heck out of sketchy areas. Even if one is armed, there is no need to tempt fate.

Once the physical battle is on the issue becomes a fight to avoid being disarmed and potential further harms, “…things might be very different for a police officer who knows that he is responding to potential danger versus an armed citizen who finds himself caught up in the middle of something…”

These days, danger should be considered on every corner thanks to the current social justice climate of lenient courts. Lawlessness is everywhere.
How some are conditioned to live; Nobody passerby gets an even break. Everyone is a potential crime suspect.
Nice fear system they created, huh? But just don’t go profile, label or criticize someone fresh out on no cash bail because that’s just not nice-nice… to be without inclusion, acceptance and tolerance.
I digress.
The article is a nice compliment to the earlier post from @Mike H. “The Art of One-Handed Shooting”, also from @Talyn posting about “Is Retention Shooting A Good Idea”.

Winter coming and always found Carhartt coats (and others) having the dual up/down front zipper handy for quick access to pants pockets and also seating comfort while driving.

Another option I recall, haven’t seen one lately is a tactical-type jacket with side panel zippers (to accommodate OWB holsters), this might be on longer length coats rather than jackets.

Cold hands, no gloves. Also an inside pocket with a clever flap or opening would be nice to allow access while hand is still in pocket.
This is why having some good hand to hand skills is also important. You might have to fight just to get to your gun. Or maybe the situation you are in hasn't risen to the level of using deadly force. If you're in that situation with no hand to hand training you could end up in a lot of trouble by using your firearm. If the only tool you have is a hammer then every problem is a nail.

Agree with almost everything here..except. As a civilian, there is no need to carry LTL on your person for any reason. Civ is not held to any same standard as LEO. As a DPS Officer, I would recommend carrying 2 spare mags and the handgun that you are most comfortable/trained with and forget the LTL.

I checked the authors history of blog posts and there are a lot of good topics there. His name sounded familiar so I looked him up. Low and behold, he is the same one that made my old snubby video from Panteao.

4f197e58-9e4f-44ac-9806-52026f75e75e_600x833.jpg

As far as being ready?

I should train more, but not much time. And it is $$! I carry 2 Hellcats, no extra mags. One in the pocket of my vest. The other one is in a belly band. As things go to hell, I will replace the belly band Hellcat with a Glock 19 with mini extended G17 mag along with a Streamlight laser / light.

Also carry med large pepper, tact light at night and folder.

I've been working on getting back into running in a very small way. I'm old, health is poor. So not trying to be a marathon runner. Just trying to improve short sprints to get away from danger.

...and gave up on revolvers after 2020. Terrible choice in today's new world order. This is not the old days when 1 burglar came through the window. I still kept a dozen revolvers for insurance if dems outlaw semi-auto...which most definitely is on their hit list. If that day ever comes, guess I will be packing a couple of revolvers along with a bag of them in the car.

Iver%20Johnson%20Revolver%20Ad%201900%20D.D.Teoli%20Jr.%20A.C..jpg

Last edited:
I live in a warm weather climate which is very beneficial. In the last few months I have started using Black Arch Holsters (complained non stop about first one but times changed with wear) IWB for my Hellcat Pro, Hellcat and Shield Plus. I wear nice T shirts tucked with an open cover shirt. Carry all guns in the same place and wear this combo to the range which is repetitive practice. When I have to put on warmer clothes it will typically be a quarter zip pullover with open cover garment. I will admit to not being as effective.

Training, access to your weapon and situational awareness all play pivotal roles in surviving a possible attack.
Where I live and the amount of time I spend outside I don’t wear many heavy coats where a small revolver in a coat pocket would be my best choice and since I’ve done very little training in that regard my comfort level is also very low.
I prefer and am very comfortable with a holstered gun on my hip.

The following article on red dots is pertinent to this article. This aritcle discusses concealment, and I must point out that the red dots complicate the situation. As one person uses a pocket carry, that becomes even more restrictive when employing a red dot. CC is a royal pain in warm weather. Everyone is going around in short sleeves or the like, and you show up in a windbreaker. Carrying appendix is the last method I would employ, unless one was standing 98% of the time. Pocket carry (if your Roscoe is small enough) or strong side still seems the most adaptable for most. I find leaving the gun in the console while I do Costco or the like is the most method I use in hot weather. When it turns cold, I use a shoulder holster with a full size gun, and it allows me to carry a lot of reload with its two extra magazines...especially when it is my Browning HP.

As for accessing said blaster, I approach having a gun with me as something to resort to in a situation that develops due to trouble involving something akin to a psycho in a mall or the like. I don't frequent areas depicted at the start of this article. The closest I come to getting jumped by some skell is in a parking lot, so I stay away from Walmart when it gets dark. Yep, times have changed, and my approach to the changing times is to change with them as best I can. As for home defense, I will go for my Benelli M4 or the old Remington Model 11 I installed a six hot mag tube, 18.5" barrel and "ghost" sights. One will stay in the safe, and the other is going on a quick access cabinet in my closet.

None of my criticisms or solutions are acceptable to all, but they work for me.

I saw this video on the news today. All sorts of things wrong. Another source showed a time stamp of 3:50 a.m. - is it really a good idea to be hanging out with a girl on the sidewalk in NYC in the middle of the night? The sad thing is, the victim had potential opportunities to exit stage left and didn't take advantage of any of them. And once he ran into the bench and went down, the killer was on him like a rabid dog.

Hindsight is 20/20, but turn around and go the other way; cross the street; get away! The attacker has already shown violent tendencies. If you aren't prepared to defend yourself violently, you owe it to yourself and the young lady with you to flee.

I'm a retired LEO with 32 years of service. I've posted this on forums before. In the upper half of this country we wear jackets or coats at least half the year. It's nice to carry something like a Glock 19 or your choice of a high-capacity semi-automatic pistols. The problem is getting to it in time, having to move or lift a jacket or sweatshirt or both out of the way first. My solution, (if it's legal in your jurisdiction), is to carry semi-auto in or on my belt plus a small, light-weight, snub-nose revolver in my coat pocket. Five rounds of "get off me", followed by getting out of Dodge, taking cover, and getting the big gun out.

PS

If you want to snag your pistol drawing in an emergency try adding a red dot on top.

Back