testtest

Paper Targets Can Kill You

Hi,

This article reminds me that it's been a couple of years since I've trained outdoors with a 3D target. It's good to train with a more realistic, lifelike perspective periodically. At my indoor range I could practice with something like this...

I guess this cardboard 3D silhouette is a little more realistic. But they ain't cheap. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I dunno. I’d think in an actual as a civilian you’d be ahead NOT advancing toward an armed opponent, but retreated behind cover and establishing a defensive position. By doing so you are showing that you are trying to de escalate the situation. By advancing you could be perceived an escalating. Just my 2 cents..
If you have to go to guns, the situation is likely beyond your ability to de-escalate.

And you assume there IS cover within a reasonable distance.

Advancing makes sense in certain defensive scenarios. It’s a tool in the toolbox, and it’s best to learn to use it before you need it.

So can how you train, i.e. the way you qualify, as opposed to how you carry.
Case in point, an NYPD plain clothes officer was killed in a bank robbery because he couldn't break leather. Here's the kicker, in training he left his weapon unsecured in its holster to get a faster draw, on duty he secured his weapon in the holster. There's clear security camera footage of him fighting his holster, a battle he LOST, which cost him his life.
Type of target makes NO difference, type of training does, as does mindset.
To wax philosophical look at the way we Marines have been trained for more than a century, long before reactive targets, and all the rest of the current popular training standards, it boiled down to mindset.
That and a being able to flip the "mean" switch, I know from experience.
Paper targets don't kill, $#!++y training does.

Good article emphasizing more than standing static in front of a piece of paper but....

Why not shoot something like USPSA or IDPA for better training? You can shoot a lit of matches for the cost of a single dummy.
Time
Not everyone has time or ability to shoot matches.
Or maybe dont want to.
I love to train, and do a lot, but have zero desire to go be part of any matches

Time
Not everyone has time or ability to shoot matches.
Or maybe dont want to.
I love to train, and do a lot, but have zero desire to go be part of any matches
I shot some IDPA and another style (might’ve been USPSA, maybe IPSC, don’t recall).

I really didn’t think it was good training, at all. Scenarios were not realistic, stupid rules like forced “tactical” reloads…not reality based, at all; the participants, though, claimed it was “as close to the real thing as you can get”…

They didn’t have an answer when I asked if it was real, why don’t the targets shoot back…

The 3-d targets, though, are a good idea. Life is not going to be a perfectly squared silhouette.

I’ll tell a little story long ago about learning paper targets vs real life.

I was hog hunting in a tall box blind overlooking a creek where hogs would come a lot to an open wheat field to dig and root around for food. Had a .270 for hogs and my Sig228 on my side.
No hogs appeared and it was getting dark. Kept hearing this digging and scratching around my stand. Look down to see a skunk scurrying around digging and doing his thing under my ladder. Time goes on and he doesn’t leave and it’s getting where I need to get down. I start throwing water bottles and stuff from my stand at it to get it to move on. No luck. It scurries around about 10 yards and keeps coming back 😩😩😡😡😡

Throw one more item. It runs 10 yard and comes back.🤬🤬🤬. I got to go. It’s getting dark, and I don’t want to walk into him in the dark going back to my truck.

Out comes my P228. Skunk is 10 yards out. Boom! Miss just short of head. Skunk jumps. Crap. Forgot I was elevated looking down. Adjust. Skunk is running circles but still 10 yards out. Boom! Miss. Just short of body. Blows dirt into skunk. Skunk jumps and is going bat poop crazy. Same circles. WTF! Boom! Miss again. 1” off 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Think! Moving target .. lead and adjust!! That’s it. Like bird hunting!! Boom. Dead. Paced off 22 steps from ladder.

Shot bulls eyes for years, but never other than static paper. Real life was a moving target. Muscle memory wasn’t there for a moving target. Muscle memory was there for a shotgun on a fast bird, but not a pistol.
Started training real soon on the moving targets, then me on the move, then both on the move.
Haven’t done it in awhile, and I’m rusty.
That will be in the training rotation soon.

If you don’t practice reloads, failures, drills, moving, etc, there will be no training to fall back on when something goes wrong. Every pilot trains for big problems with their aircraft to fail. So WHEN it does, the mindset is there to fall back on training. A gun will fail. You may trip and dump the mag or countless other issues.( seen it happen in a training to someone)

I find shooting a moving target is the hardest. I’ve learned to do it. Takes time. It is necessary to do as a shooter.

Besides, hogs don’t stand still. They run 30mph and cartwheel massively with a headshot😜😁

Before y’all get mad at a dead skunk, a fellow camp bud was sprayed walking back to their vehicle the previous season .

Reminds me of a skunk story that happened years ago, my son and me were deer hunting and had to walk a 300 yard path to get where we hunted, well coming back out a skunk was in the middle of the path. i said eh he will get accross and we can go. i no more said that and here he come at us running. well both of us took off like scalded dogs. lol

We eased back up to the trial again and there sat that sucker again just waiting. here he comes and there we go. this happened three time and on the fourth time it was getting too dark to see to run again and i said heck with it. i double tapped two 308 rounds under him from a H&K 91 and sent him flying. we went home. we figured it was rabid or had babies.

I’ll tell a little story long ago about learning paper targets vs real life.

I was hog hunting in a tall box blind overlooking a creek where hogs would come a lot to an open wheat field to dig and root around for food. Had a .270 for hogs and my Sig228 on my side.
No hogs appeared and it was getting dark. Kept hearing this digging and scratching around my stand. Look down to see a skunk scurrying around digging and doing his thing under my ladder. Time goes on and he doesn’t leave and it’s getting where I need to get down. I start throwing water bottles and stuff from my stand at it to get it to move on. No luck. It scurries around about 10 yards and keeps coming back 😩😩😡😡😡

Throw one more item. It runs 10 yard and comes back.🤬🤬🤬. I got to go. It’s getting dark, and I don’t want to walk into him in the dark going back to my truck.

Out comes my P228. Skunk is 10 yards out. Boom! Miss just short of head. Skunk jumps. Crap. Forgot I was elevated looking down. Adjust. Skunk is running circles but still 10 yards out. Boom! Miss. Just short of body. Blows dirt into skunk. Skunk jumps and is going bat poop crazy. Same circles. WTF! Boom! Miss again. 1” off 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Think! Moving target .. lead and adjust!! That’s it. Like bird hunting!! Boom. Dead. Paced off 22 steps from ladder.

Shot bulls eyes for years, but never other than static paper. Real life was a moving target. Muscle memory wasn’t there for a moving target. Muscle memory was there for a shotgun on a fast bird, but not a pistol.
Started training real soon on the moving targets, then me on the move, then both on the move.
Haven’t done it in awhile, and I’m rusty.
That will be in the training rotation soon.

If you don’t practice reloads, failures, drills, moving, etc, there will be no training to fall back on when something goes wrong. Every pilot trains for big problems with their aircraft to fail. So WHEN it does, the mindset is there to fall back on training. A gun will fail. You may trip and dump the mag or countless other issues.( seen it happen in a training to someone)

I find shooting a moving target is the hardest. I’ve learned to do it. Takes time. It is necessary to do as a shooter.

Besides, hogs don’t stand still. They run 30mph and cartwheel massively with a headshot😜😁

Before y’all get mad at a dead skunk, a fellow camp bud was sprayed walking back to their vehicle the previous season .
Poor skunk. 😞

I got a family of them out back. They’re cute AF.

Poor skunk. 😞

I got a family of them out back. They’re cute AF.
Ur right they are super cute cuz my vet had a scent gland removed car struck skunk she ‘fixed’ up that she let visitors pet & touch that was gated next to the waiting room office girls desks. They still were strong smelling, not bad, just musky I guess.
Do your cats go out ? If so, don’t you worry they’ll have a ‘close encounter’ ?
Plus, being a common rabies carrier is a risk to ur pets too, right?

Back