testtest

1911 a1 sights

phil

Alpha
Need to change my sights on my 1911 a1. Old eyes. Has target sites on it but rear notch to large and front just not right all black. Thinking of a smaller site with whitney dots. Any suggestione would be' great. Thanks

SA or Colt? Staked sight or dovetail cut? Trijicon HD night sights are my solution for old eyes and I have them on all my Sigs. Contact Trijicon to see if they can fit your slide cut. Also Dawson Precision. I put their fiber optic front sight on my Commander to replace a lost staked sight and am pretty happy with it. Either way you probably need a gunsmith to install. The age and make of your gun is important as the dovetail cuts vary.

And here’s a personal preference:

I HATE Straight-8 sight profile; give me 3-dot, or a black rear/bright front any day over S8.
Hans, is there anything particular about S8 that doesn’t work for you?
Reason i ask is that I’ve considered them, given my crazy aged eyes…but I’m afraid it might introduce something so different I can’t adapt ( after a lifetime of 3-dot, generally).

In my view the dots are useless unless they are tritium and it is dark. I do not want to see the dots in daylight. Proper sight alignment is centering the front post in the notch and level across the top. "Equal light, equal height". Luminescent front beads or dots can help picking up the front sight but you still have to get a proper sight picture and sight alignment.

Hans, is there anything particular about S8 that doesn’t work for you?
Reason i ask is that I’ve considered them, given my crazy aged eyes…but I’m afraid it might introduce something so different I can’t adapt ( after a lifetime of 3-dot, generally).

I find they are a lot harder to align for precise shots…and even flash sight pictures aren’t as accurate, for me.

And yes, it coukd be from being used to 3-dots.

I’d recommend trying muted rear dots with a very bright front (Trijicon HD, for example)…or an electronic dot.

Back