Best caliber 1911

• 9mm

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • .45acp

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • 10mm

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Supposedly this was related to the Colt light weight commanders in the early days from what I remember, also, if I remember right, several manufacturers had issues of hollow points digging into the feed ramp on frame, then one manufacturer came up with the fully supported feed ramp on the barrel. I could be wrong, been awhile since I heard anything on this topic.

Ruger put a steel feed ramp insert in their aluminum SRs

In my 45s I basically moved to a XD Service, Tactical and XDs, vs 1911s.

But occasionally I dig out a Charles Daley 1911 I built up for general use at the IPSC club.
Interesting post. My first 1911 was a Charles Daly 45 officer model, 6 round magazines. I’ve probably run 3000 rounds through it, every conceivable factory 230gr RN. Took a lot of crap in the early years for buying it...but it shoots better now than when new (break in period was long). It is all steel and quite heavy, but it feels better and I shoot it better than the full size government model I carried on topside watches in the Navy.
Bought a new Kimber Master Carry Pro after years of drooling. It cost 4 times what the CD did. It doesn’t shoot 4 times better...but it does LOOK 4 maybe 8 times better.
Now I’m waiting on delivery of my new Springfield EMP 40, my first non-45 1911. It’s also all steel construction, nice looking, and less than 1/2 the price of the Kimber. Won’t know what I think until I shoot it. I don’t have any 40 S&W factory ammo so I’ll have to pick some up. I prefer to run 150-200 factory rounds through a new gun before I switch to my own loads.

I was always a striker fired guy and currently owning three XDM Mod2’s I find these guns extremely easy to shoot. I just purchased my 1st Springfield 1911 RO and I was VERY surprised to find that all steel gun to have great balance and very comfortable to shoot. I can’t wait to get the holster rig I’m having made for it to start working it into my EDC rotation.

Back