testtest

1911 DS Prodigy for Home Defense

Honestly, this is a pretty sophomoric article. It’s written like it’s intended audience is people who don’t own a gun and have never given a thought to home defense. Late’s face it, it’s rare that a newbie is going to drop $1500 on their first gun, let alone a lot of seasoned gun owners. And if they do, are they really going to buy a double stack 1911.

Anyway, my takeaway from the article was the talk of a hair trigger. Their’s was 4.7 lbs stock. Mine, stock with 3000 rounds through it hovers just under 3 lbs. And I know a few others on this forum have triggers in the same neighborhood.

I had a bad experience with a 1911 Clone in the early 80s, and I'll confess that it colored my view of the platform all these years.
That Gun, was the original Jam-O-Matic. I was lucky if it would feed two in a row, No matter what ammo I tried. After a year, I couldn't sell it fast enough.
I've the itch to try another, but being retired on a limited budget, even a gun like the Prodigy would require saving for quite a time period to purchase one. So I suspect that itch will go unscratched. Add in the last thing I need is another 9mm. LOL, another 9 would land me in marriage counseling. She just doesn't buy the "I bought it for you to keep you safe" line anymore.

I had a bad experience with a 1911 Clone in the early 80s, and I'll confess that it colored my view of the platform all these years.
That Gun, was the original Jam-O-Matic. I was lucky if it would feed two in a row, No matter what ammo I tried. After a year, I couldn't sell it fast enough.
I've the itch to try another, but being retired on a limited budget, even a gun like the Prodigy would require saving for quite a time period to purchase one. So I suspect that itch will go unscratched. Add in the last thing I need is another 9mm. LOL, another 9 would land me in marriage counseling. She just doesn't buy the "I bought it for you to keep you safe" line anymore.
1911s are .45 ACP. Not sure what they call those 9MMs but they should call it something else.

1911s are notoriously fickle until you show them some love or step up to the custom shop stuff. I have no high end 1911s and all mine run great. Most have had some feed ramp polishing and some springs swapped. Honestly magazines are usually the culprit. So buy good ones.

In 79 80 time frame I purchased a colt commander around 400$ that gun would not run for crap. Then i got a glock 17 in i believe 85 or 86, and never looked back I stayed away from that platform until probably 2000. Then got a springfield operator and it was a very good pistol and ran like the wind. I always thought to myself 400 to 500 $ for a gun that needs 400 to 600 $ worth of work to run right. Never made sense to me.

1911s are .45 ACP. Not sure what they call those 9MMs but they should call it something else.

1911s are notoriously fickle until you show them some love or step up to the custom shop stuff. I have no high end 1911s and all mine run great. Most have had some feed ramp polishing and some springs swapped. Honestly magazines are usually the culprit. So buy good ones.
I tried a couple of different magazines. Back then, there wasn't near the selection like there is today.
I'd have to go digging in some records stored to even be accurate as to who made the gun. It was either a Star or Llama, but it's been too long to recall for sure. It was a good $200 or $300 less than a Colt. A number of years later, I bought a S&W 4506, and I kick myself for ever selling that gun. Though it was heavy, the weight tamed the perceived recoil a lot.
There's a handful of guns I regret letting go of, and more than a few I don't regret.

It’s all karma bro. Good things happen to good people. 😎😇

The only problem I’ve ever had with 1911s is not being able to afford all the ones I want.

Mine had feeding issues but the biggest problem was the safety wouldn't disengage on the weak hand (left)

It’s all karma bro. Good things happen to good people. 😎😇

The only problem I’ve ever had with 1911s is not being able to afford all the ones I want.
Well you got into the game very recently. The stuff available today is likely a little tighter than the stuff most of us grew up with.

I tried a couple of different magazines. Back then, there wasn't near the selection like there is today.
I'd have to go digging in some records stored to even be accurate as to who made the gun. It was either a Star or Llama, but it's been too long to recall for sure. It was a good $200 or $300 less than a Colt. A number of years later, I bought a S&W 4506, and I kick myself for ever selling that gun. Though it was heavy, the weight tamed the perceived recoil a lot.
There's a handful of guns I regret letting go of, and more than a few I don't regret.
I still have a Llama Max 2 13 rd. doublestack. Runs great with the OEM mags. Not so with the aftermarket stuff.

Back