testtest

1911 Garrison shooting low and left

I think there's something wrong with my new garrison. I keep shooting low and to the left. I replaced the grips with thicker ones but that didn't work. I shoot fine with my Kimber and Ruger 1911 so I'm wondering if I'm either shooting wrong or there is something wrong with it. I went right up to the target a foot away and it was still low and left.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

99.5 times out of a hundred if you are shooting low and left it is you - regardless of how well you shoot anything else. I promise you it’s not the gun. I went the other way, I bought a Kimber Pro Carry II and I could not get it on target and I consider myself a pretty decent shot. I even changed the sights, but when I just worked on my grip, my stance and my trigger pull the gun magically got better and shot as I expected. If you’re down and left you need to work on your technique.

Eliminate the gun as the culprit, buy/borrow some shooting bags/rests/vice, and prove the gun shoots normal. Besides, without shooting from a rested position, you might never know if it's you or the gun anyway. Pretty hard to zero a pistol shooting freehand, unless you are Ken Hackathorne...

I think there's something wrong with my new garrison. I keep shooting low and to the left. I replaced the grips with thicker ones but that didn't work. I shoot fine with my Kimber and Ruger 1911 so I'm wondering if I'm either shooting wrong or there is something wrong with it. I went right up to the target a foot away and it was still low and left.
Assuming you're right handed....

1652413620469.png

Every new gun I’ve purchased and shot for the first time my groups have been low left until I get used to how the gun shoots, some of the guns it took a couple hundred rounds in the case of my newly purchased 1911 Emissary 45 it took about 15 rounds until I was on bullseye.
I feel some guns give great feedback to the shooter and some the shooter needs to try different hand positions and trigger discipline.
Not saying something could be off with the gun but look at what your doing first.

99.5 times out of a hundred if you are shooting low and left it is you - regardless of how well you shoot anything else. I promise you it’s not the gun. I went the other way, I bought a Kimber Pro Carry II and I could not get it on target and I consider myself a pretty decent shot. I even changed the sights, but when I just worked on my grip, my stance and my trigger pull the gun magically got better and shot as I expected. If you’re down and left you need to work on your technique.
Hmmm… sounds like you know someone else with this problem.. 😉😏

Hi!

Congrats on your new Garrison! 😁

 Perfect practice makes perfect. I'm sure you'll get it worked out.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

The barrel must be bent. Send it to me and I will scrap it for you!

Seriously, shoot the gun from a rest to eliminate the gun being the problem. Trigger management is the most troublesome fundamental of pistol shooting, followed by grip. I see this occur with right hand shooters in every class even with experienced shooters. Especially with Glocks for some reason.

If you extend your arm straight out and make a fist, you will notice a slight movement of your wrist to the left. It is body mechanics. Add to that your trigger finger putting left torque on the trigger, which pushes the muzzle a little to the left. Also, if you have too much trigger finger in the trigger guard where the fat part of your trigger finger is rubbing on the frame of the gun, you are pushing the gun to the left. That is why we teach students to use the center of the first pad of the trigger finger pad on the trigger. Shots go low because of shot anticipation. If you know exactly when the gun will fire you are going to react in anticipation of the shot.

These dynamics occur naturally when working the trigger of a handgun. It varies in degree due to differences in hand structure and differing ergonomics between guns. You can minimize and counteract the tendency by using a thumb forward grip with your support hand. Practice your grip and trigger management to develop neural memory to get a straight back trigger pull.
😉😉
But then again, it could be a bent barrel...

That's for all the replies. I had the feeling it was just me. I forgot to mention the bullets I'm using are reloads. I shoot Wild Bunch so I make the rounds with light powder. My son-in-law said there's probably not enough powder to push a heavy bullet, 230 weight. I'll go to the range again and use factory ammo and see how I do and I'll post the results.

The barrel must be bent. Send it to me and I will scrap it for you!

Seriously, shoot the gun from a rest to eliminate the gun being the problem. Trigger management is the most troublesome fundamental of pistol shooting, followed by grip. I see this occur with right hand shooters in every class even with experienced shooters. Especially with Glocks for some reason.

If you extend your arm straight out and make a fist, you will notice a slight movement of your wrist to the left. It is body mechanics. Add to that your trigger finger putting left torque on the trigger, which pushes the muzzle a little to the left. Also, if you have too much trigger finger in the trigger guard where the fat part of your trigger finger is rubbing on the frame of the gun, you are pushing the gun to the left. That is why we teach students to use the center of the first pad of the trigger finger pad on the trigger. Shots go low because of shot anticipation. If you know exactly when the gun will fire you are going to react in anticipation of the shot.

These dynamics occur naturally when working the trigger of a handgun. It varies in degree due to differences in hand structure and differing ergonomics between guns. You can minimize and counteract the tendency by using a thumb forward grip with your support hand. Practice your grip and trigger management to develop neural memory to get a straight back trigger pull.
😉😉
But then again, it could be a bent barrel...
Great advice. I'm going to print this.

I had the same issue with my shield plus...low & left, low & left it became very frustrating after 300 rounds. An RSO suggested that I change my total grip. I played with different purchases finally arriving at a unorthodox grip (for me). It was a game changer.

Does it shoot low and left when you fire it with your support hand?

Back