testtest

1911 Milspec Drop In Parts

I picked up a 1911 Milspec (PB9151LCA) a couple months ago and would like to add some additional features to it. Mainly the beavertail grip safety. The problem I am having is the Wilson Combat drop in parts that I have do not fit the Milspec frame. Drops into my RIA GI no problem though. Is there a different manufacturer that has true drop in parts available? Does Springfield Armory sell drop in parts?

The standard for parts is the original military-pattern 1911 pistol. Parts between the 1911, 1911A1, and commercial Colt's Government Model were pretty much all interchangeable. Once pistols came out that had evolved from the original design (Series 80, Delta Elite, etc.) parts interchangeability was no longer assured. I'm sure that is pretty much the same for clones unless they are sold as accepting standard GI parts.

The standard for parts is the original military-pattern 1911 pistol. Parts between the 1911, 1911A1, and commercial Colt's Government Model were pretty much all interchangeable. Once pistols came out that had evolved from the original design (Series 80, Delta Elite, etc.) parts interchangeability was no longer assured. I'm sure that is pretty much the same for clones unless they are sold as accepting standard GI parts.

You could likely take any parts from the wartime 1911’s and drop them in to a modern 1911–as long as it was a 5”, used a barrel bushing, an internal extractor, etc. The wartime 1911’s had, for the most part, generous tolerances so that parts could interchange…something modern 1911’s tend not to have.

It comes down to…if you’re gonna swap parts on your 1911, you’re gonna be doing some fitting, if those parts are recent manufacture.

I will recommend looking at Ed Brown’s “Drop In” offerings, though. I’ve found that they usually require very little fitting, most of the time.

You could likely take any parts from the wartime 1911’s and drop them in to a modern 1911–as long as it was a 5”, used a barrel bushing, an internal extractor, etc. The wartime 1911’s had, for the most part, generous tolerances so that parts could interchange…something modern 1911’s tend not to have.

It comes down to…if you’re gonna swap parts on your 1911, you’re gonna be doing some fitting, if those parts are recent manufacture.

I will recommend looking at Ed Brown’s “Drop In” offerings, though. I’ve found that they usually require very little fitting, most of the time.
HansGruber is 100% correct! GI parts were required to interchange. If you plan to collect wartime 1911s then invest in books on the subject first. On the auction sites there are lots "mint" 1911's that have other manufacturers parts on them. In the last 75 years many wartime 1911s have been updated at some point with postwar made parts which may look okay, but there are minor differences from the original maker's parts. The current CMP 1911s are a prime example.

I picked up a 1911 Milspec (PB9151LCA) a couple months ago and would like to add some additional features to it. Mainly the beavertail grip safety. The problem I am having is the Wilson Combat drop in parts that I have do not fit the Milspec frame. Drops into my RIA GI no problem though. Is there a different manufacturer that has true drop in parts available? Does Springfield Armory sell drop in parts?
www.nighthawkcustom.com

Does anyone make a "beavertail" grip safety--drop in or not--for the GI spur-type hammer found on the Mil-Spec? I can't recall ever seeing one. Most if not all of the beavertails are made for the Commander-type hammers, I believe.

Does anyone make a "beavertail" grip safety--drop in or not--for the GI spur-type hammer found on the Mil-Spec? I can't recall ever seeing one. Most if not all of the beavertails are made for the Commander-type hammers, I believe.
Yea, never saw one either

You could look up an enhanced G.I grip safety but this guy put a Fusion grip safety on his pistol.
59d979c7b14f67aa0d4de1d91106b3a3.jpg

Back