testtest

1911 Range Officer Champion-HELP!

Phoenex

Alpha
This is the information I sent to Springfield Armory on their customer support page:

"I just purchased a new Range Officer Champion from a local gun shop in Charlotte, NC. When I load the magazine with defensive ammo (Hornady Critical Defense & Cor Bon) and release the slide the round becomes jammed. I re-lock the slide and remove the magazine to clear the jam. Prior to loading the defensive rounds I used 9mm snaps to familiarize myself with the weapon and they work fine. I also loaded a magazine of FMJ after experiencing the jam and they worked fine also with no jams. The defensive rounds are just slightly shorter than the practice rounds.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have searched the web for answers to no avail and now reaching out to the experts. Beautiful handgun with classic style but this has me puzzled.

Attachments

• 9SnAZIA-BodJRR3155j9AT_A7onKqjzW8YdSZ3Hc1tc7BzBS-JDHW1RclgBS0Ox41x1EGH90BR4c-4OaxdxvGp_uiOsk_n...jpg
    9SnAZIA-BodJRR3155j9AT_A7onKqjzW8YdSZ3Hc1tc7BzBS-JDHW1RclgBS0Ox41x1EGH90BR4c-4OaxdxvGp_uiOsk_n...jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 404
I only have the gun for 2 days -- Planning to visit the range this coming week
As @Annihilator said above—you need to break it down, clean it, lube it, and run at least a couple hundred rounds of FMJ through it first.

Also—the Hornady Critical Defense is, in my experience, one of the most problematic rounds when it comes to feed issues; the profile of the round, coupled with the rubber “brake pad” in the nose can make some of the most reliable pistols out there choke.

You may just have to accept that your pistol won’t feed them, and find something else.

And finally...manually feeding live rounds just to check function is not a good idea. First off, unless you’re letting the slide slam home (like you should), you’re setting yourself up for malfunction...and by doing that, you’re also chancing bullet setback after repeated chambering, as well as possibly deadening the primer.

In my experience, 9mm 1911’s have an issue with nose diving out of the magazine. I have a Springfield R.O. Elite Compact in 9mm. I have replaced all of my magazines with Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazines. They are more expensive but they really are better. They feed everything through my pistol including the Critical Defense rounds. If the cleaning and break in don’t fix the problem, some new magazines are what I’d try next.

As @Annihilator said above—you need to break it down, clean it, lube it, and run at least a couple hundred rounds of FMJ through it first.

Also—the Hornady Critical Defense is, in my experience, one of the most problematic rounds when it comes to feed issues; the profile of the round, coupled with the rubber “brake pad” in the nose can make some of the most reliable pistols out there choke.

You may just have to accept that your pistol won’t feed them, and find something else.

And finally...manually feeding live rounds just to check function is not a good idea. First off, unless you’re letting the slide slam home (like you should), you’re setting yourself up for malfunction...and by doing that, you’re also chancing bullet setback after repeated chambering, as well as possibly deadening the primer.
Thanks ---any suggestion on defensive rounds that work with that have a better profile? I didn't manually try to load a round --I used a magazine.

In my experience, 9mm 1911’s have an issue with nose diving out of the magazine. I have a Springfield R.O. Elite Compact in 9mm. I have replaced all of my magazines with Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazines. They are more expensive but they really are better. They feed everything through my pistol including the Critical Defense rounds. If the cleaning and break in don’t fix the problem, some new magazines are what I’d try next.
Thank you good info on the Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazines

Thanks ---any suggestion on defensive rounds that work with that have a better profile? I didn't manually try to load a round --I used a magazine.
Working the slide to feed the round is manually feeding...unless you are pulling the slide to the rear as hard as you can, and letting it fly forward, you’re really not simulating the firing/feeding process.

Rounds that work? Well, my 9mm RO Champion Compact LW did well with (if memory serves...): 115gr (HydraShok), 124gr (Gold Dot), 124+P and 147gr+P (both HST), and did best with 147gr Winchester Ranger-T (my carry load with it)...but that’s my pistol; I did upgrade to the Wilson ETM mags, as well.

I may have overlooked it but how are you sending the slide home? Slingshotting it home or letting the slide stop down? Like mentioned above run some FMJ through it. You could polish the feed ramp, feel for burrs, it’s been my experience that I’ve not encountered that but it does, on a rarity happen. Lots of great 9mm self defense loads out there, if you can find them.

Working the slide to feed the round is manually feeding...unless you are pulling the slide to the rear as hard as you can, and letting it fly forward, you’re really not simulating the firing/feeding process.

Rounds that work? Well, my 9mm RO Champion Compact LW did well with (if memory serves...): 115gr (HydraShok), 124gr (Gold Dot), 124+P and 147gr+P (both HST), and did best with 147gr Winchester Ranger-T (my carry load with it)...but that’s my pistol; I did upgrade to the Wilson ETM mags, as well.
Good info thank you

Good Morning, I must say I was quite impressed with the speed of Springfield Armory's response:
We would recommend that the shooter field strip, clean, and oil the pistol often during the breaking in period. Places to oil are the fronts of the frame rails and backs of the slide rails, then reassemble and rack the pistol 5-10 times. Then apply a dab of oil to the top of the barrel hood, then lock the slide open and apply a dab of oil about 1/2” back from the muzzle of the barrel, and rack the pistol a good 5-10 more times. This process will properly lubricate the pistol and should prevent any failures due to dryness.

Proper lubrication of the firearm, the instructions are as follows:

*** Make sure they read the manual and follow all safety rules before handling your firearm ***

1. Field strip pistol (according to manual) - only remove slide from frame
  2. Using any quality gun oil (no grease), 1 drop of oil on each side of the rear slide railways
  3. Reassembly slide to frame (according to manual)
  4. Manipulate slide back and forth 5 – 10 times
  5. 1 drop of oil on top of chamber area of the barrel (part of the barrel exposed in the ejection port area)
  6. Lock slide to the rear
  7. 1 drop of oil on the top of the muzzle of the barrel (1/4” from front top of muzzle)
  8. Manipulate slide back and forth 5-10 times
And finally If you have any issues with the firearm after following these recommendations

Respond to this email with the following information:

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing. I would be happy to set up a return authorization. I will need the following information to set up a return authorization for the firearm by email.

1. Full name
  2. Residence Mailing address
  3. Daytime phone #
  4. Email address
  5. Serial # from the firearm.

Thank you and have a great day!

Back