IMG_1452.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2323.jpeg
    IMG_2323.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0367.jpeg
    IMG_0367.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 41
Years ago I bought a SG 191-22. I have always liked 1911s but couldn't afford a "real one." I hada Ruger SR22 that I sold to aguy who really liked it so I used that for the GSG. I absolutely love it. It can be finnicky on ammo, but it's just a range toy. Absolutely so much fun to shoot, and incredibly accurate. I use it in local practical pistol matches.

I turned 45 during the plandemic, when we were getting all the Covid $. I wanted a 45 for my birthday, and if I was getting a 45, it had to be a 1911. The Ronin had just recently came out, and that's what I really wanted. But I couldn't find one anywhere. I eventually found the Kimber Custom 2 Tow Tone LW, which is basically exactly the same, so I got that. Then I got a dog a few months later and named him Ronin.

I love my Kimber. I initially bought it as a range toy and sort of heirloom to hand down to the kids someday as I love the look, and it's the most expensive gun I own. But because it just shoots so darn well I find myself carrying more that I planed. It's actually my go to for church carry. I have discovered that as nice as it looks, the wood grips aren't' very grippy and with no checkering on the backstrap, it is a little jumpy in the hands, so I have begun the process of customizing it some. I have swapper out to Magpul grips and looking at grip tape for the front strap. I am trying to find a balance of maintaining the original looks while make it more better. I am actually looking to find a way where I can do a silver/stainless arched mainspring housing but a black magwell.
Here' how it looks now. If anyone has suggestions on how I can make the mainsprignhousing/magwell combo work, please let me know

Check out EGW if you want a checkered mainspring housing and mag well combo.

I do not know if they have one that fits the Kimber so I would definitely check with them first, but they have a few options like this one:

My Colt GCT came with the one in the link above and it's awesome.

Check out EGW if you want a checkered mainspring housing and mag well combo.

I do not know if they have one that fits the Kimber so I would definitely check with them first, but they have a few options like this one:

My Colt GCT came with the one in the link above and it's awesome.
Thanks. I'll check that out

Thanks. I'll check that out
don't forget, unless you already know this, or someone mentioned it earlier...you might also have to switch out the grips..

at least, i was certain i read that, as it gives a "cleaner look"

for instance, if yours looks like this now..

notice the MSH pin, it is clearly visible at the lower left corner

1694778521294.png

now notice the MSH and magwell set up...

1694778746222.png

Thank yo
don't forget, unless you already know this, or someone mentioned it earlier...you might also have to switch out the grips..

at least, i was certain i read that, as it gives a "cleaner look"

for instance, if yours looks like this now..

notice the MSH pin, it is clearly visible at the lower left corner

View attachment 43671

now notice the MSH and magwell set up...

View attachment 43672

Thank you, I wasn't ware of that

The 1911 is my favorite semi-auto pistol. It fits me perfectly and points naturally for me. Most of mine are in .45acp as its a proven performer. I do have a few in the other correct caliber, .38 Super. 😁
I do own one 9mm 1911. I wish I'd never bought the thing. Frankly, I regard a 9mm 1911 as blasphemy. It just ain't right. :mad:
For a SA 9mm, I much prefer JMB's other masterpiece. The Hi-Power. ;)

Here's some of mine. This is an old picture. I've added more since this was taken. 😁
1911's are a great pistol no doubt. Just be sure you get a good quality one. My current 1911 .45acp is a Rock Island made in March 2004. Looked great on GunBroker so I went with it. The frame and slide are decent quality "I Guess" but the parts were a different story. Possibly the poorest quality MIM ever made to be put in a 1911. Looks like the parts were melted together, I mean poor quality. I decided to replace everything with all barstock so seriously think twice before getting the early Rock Island 1911's or any for that matter. I would have never got it if I knew what I was buying. Now it shoots pretty good without any jams providing you have good magazines. I'm assuming the newer model Rock Island quality is better, hopefully for your sake.

1911's are a great pistol no doubt. Just be sure you get a good quality one. My current 1911 .45acp is a Rock Island made in March 2004. Looked great on GunBroker so I went with it. The frame and slide are decent quality "I Guess" but the parts were a different story. Possibly the poorest quality MIM ever made to be put in a 1911. Looks like the parts were melted together, I mean poor quality. I decided to replace everything with all barstock so seriously think twice before getting the early Rock Island 1911's or any for that matter. I would have never got it if I knew what I was buying. Now it shoots pretty good without any jams providing you have good magazines. I'm assuming the newer model Rock Island quality is better, hopefully for your sake.
i have had 2 Rock Island Armory 1911's, and i can say that they were of a very good build quality....(i bought those in or about 2021/2022).

i also currently own 1 RIA 1911 style .22 magnum, and that is also of very good build quality.

every company goes thru "growing pains" either from a change in ownership, or management, or machinery.

i'd recommend a Rock Island Armory firearm, for either the 1st time buyer, or someone who wants to learn smithing, where fitting parts may be neccessary.

Back