testtest

First 45 1911, I know its blasphemy on a SA site, but Rock Island Armory. Pick one and give it a whirl. Commander would probably be my pick as it's lighter to carry.

Stick with original design, no paper clip take down, original guide rod.

new here. considering a 1911 45acp trying to chose which one. advice is welcome.
i only have 13 as of today...

so i am not biased in brand, as i have many different brands.

go to the local gun store (seriously) look at all that they have to offer, ask to hold one, as basically they all feel the same.

DO NOT drop the slide on an empty chamber, and DO NOT drop the hammer, at least i don't.

i respect the gun dealers stock, and i'd want someone to RESPECT my guns.

pricing does not always dictate to me, what i want.

looks, (i like 2 tone models and stainless steel models) over basic blued.....

a good starting 1911 would be a lower priced one, like a Tisas, Dan Daley, maybe the new generation of Remington, maybe a Rock Island as well.

this way you get the feel of it when you shoot, the recoil, etc...then you can only graduate up from the lower priced ones...

Hard to beat a Springfield 1911. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. 1911s aren’t like plastic guns and require parts that fit together well to function correctly.
Watch some Larry Vickers YouTubes and see what he says about the 1911. He’s an expert on the subject and not just another internet commando…

I shot this last week. Now i want one. Aluminum frame makes it light but the recoil was very manageable. Sights were decent and trigger was crisp. Shoots point of aim. Seen them for $520-$600. Bring on the Turkish gun haters. Hahahaha…. But damn it shot real nice.

This Combat Commander is one of my favorites.
Colt Combat Commander.JPG

I’d go with a RIA as a first 1911.

This has everything you need to learn on; the upgraded sights & grips are worth it over the GI models. Usually see them in the $500 range around here.
This.

new here. considering a 1911 45acp trying to chose which one. advice is welcome.
Kimber Rapide Black Ice. You might as well go all in. It’s a Series 70 which might not mean anything right now, but it will.

Kimber Rapide Black Ice. You might as well go all in. It’s a Series 70 which might not mean anything right now, but it will.

But for a first time 1911 owner, the Swartz safety is not a good thing for them. Makes the gun a little more difficult to take down and reassemble especially if you don't watch and MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT touch the grip safety period during take down and reassembly.

Last edited:
I feel like budget would be important to know here. My recommendation might change if you were to say something like a 2k budget?

Also size do you want full size 5-inch or a commander model 4.25 inch? Since you mention EDC I would assume the commander or smaller but maybe not.

The kimber tle II is nice, my father has a 5 inch version runs like a top and my father-in-law has the ultra version and he has had 0 issues. Surprisingly since he is pretty hard on it and it’s his edc for 7 or so years now. The kimber pro tle ii would be the commander size. Those do have Swartz safety so don’t touch grip safety when field stripping lol. It’s a pita.

RAI has been mention and I agree but the sights some come with are not for me. I would recommend shooting one with them or at least handling one.

Springfield also makes great 1911 and I haven’t had any issues. Love my operator and RO compact. I would take a good look at the garrison or ronin model, again even the mil-spec would be good.

As others have noted, it would be helpful to know the OP's budget and intended use. I have several 1911s including a couple of Commanders in .38 Super. I like my Kimber LW .45 stainless 5 inch as it has been absolutely reliable with all ammunition from day one.

Back