testtest

1911s – 45 ACP vs 9mm vs 10mm — Which is Best?

BET7

Ronin
Founding Member
I have several 1911s chambered in 45 and 10mm. I don't own any in 9mm (at least not yet ;)). I'm staying out of the argument on which is best, but I sure do like the 10mm round regardless of the firearm.

Best is relative.

Everything I've seen is that the 9mm is very comfortable to shoot in a 1911 plus you typically get 2 more rds capacity than the 45.

IMO, the 10mm would have a greater recoil (more of a snap) than a 45 or 9mm, (and maybe another rd capacity over the 45???) with the good old 45 having the typical 45 recoil.

My .02

Last edited:
I have several 1911s chambered in 45 and 10mm. I don't own any in 9mm (at least not yet ;)). I'm staying out of the argument on which is best, but I sure do like the 10mm round regardless of the firearm.

Good story, I am also, staying out which caliber is better, I have had them all in those calibers with no issues, that‘s all I’m saying.....🙃

💩💩💩💩 coup that is........🤣🤣🤣🤣
Oh no you didnt ....

1599503102695.gif

I don't have as much time in this game as a lot of the more seasoned members of this forum, but as I continue on my voyage of discovery I am quickly realizing what I like and don't like - and I really like a 9mm 1911. I have a .45 Ronin and a 9MM RO Target, among others, and I have put way more rounds through the Range Officer than the Ronin. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the recoil of the .45, which I think is because I learned to shoot using 9mm. I suspect that if I had been shooting .45 from the start I may feel differently. I wouldn't dream of trying to convince the die hard .45 1911 folks to switch, but I would definitely encourage them to try a 9mm 1911 if they get a chance, they might be pleasantly surprised.

Having most of the pistol weight in the slide like in Glock 20/26s & the SA XDM really helps tame the 10mm recoil.

In the 1911 they have to spring it up more due to the lighter slide.

My .02

I've got experience with 9mm and 45 acp 1911's, but have never fired a 10 mm. I never really considered the 10mm in the past, but now its one of the few calibers that I can readily find online and at the LGS. I tend to agree with Papa in that if I choose to invest in my first 10mm handgun, it would more likely be an XDM than a 1911. I'm not proud of it, but ads for the 10mm Hi-Point Carbine keep finding their way into my inbox and I've even been considering picking up one of those. This ammo shortage needs to end before I find myself building a really obscure arsenal of 25 acp, 32 acp, 10mm, and 7.62 x 25 Tokarev firearms.

Own all three versions, plus .22TCM...and I had one in .40 (Para P16).

Honestly? That .40 was the sweet spot...and I got stupid and sold it when offered well over what I paid for it.

I’m not a huge fan of 10mm in the 1911; if you start realizing the cartridge’s potential, it becomes unpleasant quickly. My first year Delta doesn’t get shot anymore...

But, truly, .45 is the round for the 1911.

Back