testtest

1st Acquisition of 2024 - P229 Legion SAO

dadoser

Elite
(This happened much faster than I thought it would - sold a P320 Scorpion and a TX 22 to fund it.)

First rounds/Impression.

Sig Sauer P229 Legion SAO.

I've always been partial to Compact sized (Glock 19 ish) handguns. Only over the last 14 months have I delved into full-sized handguns as well as hammer fired SAO - Walther PDP (striker fired); Staccato P; and P 226 Legion.

This P229 just hit the sweet spot for me. Size is great. It just feels right in my hands. Trigger is great - reach is also great for me as well.
I put 11 magazines through it last night - including the rounds to zero the dot. If this thing could talk, it would scream "go fast"..........instead it just telepathically communicated that to me the entire session. It was difficult to shoot slow.

While I did not bring anything else to shoot for comparison, I'm sure I would have shot this better than any of my striker fired and probably the same as my full sized P226 or Staccato P.

Compared to what I have shot and owned - if I could only have 1 hammer fired handgun (DA/SA or SAO) - this one would be the keeper - all things considered - size, fit, and cost.

On a personal note - This was my 1st range trip of the month and was much needed. I have some constant (abnormal??) stressors I deal with in my life. On top of that, since mid November we are in the middle of a major home remodel in 1/3 of the house - no kitchen, project supervisor left (Now I may understand why), dates pushed back, no or miscommunication, etc. The actual work - framers, demo, HVAC, electricians, plumbers, drywallers - has been solid. Could also have been a mitigating factor in why I was running this thing fast.

1706295497144.png

1 mag = 21 ft. 1 mag= 30 ft. Rapid fire -
1706295607462.png

Last target of the session - 21 ft rapid fire - moving thru the target(s) - 1 center mass followed by 1 to the head.
(came across these targets on amazon - something different/fun.)

1706295918782.png

Curious, why did you decide to give up your P320 Scorpion?

Really - just too many guns. I'll sell something off if I don't shoot it to upgrade the overall collection.

I did really like the P320 Scorpion - but I wasn't shooting it.
I have a P320 Xcarry Spectre, PDP FS (brass backstrap), and a recently purchased midsized FN 509 Tactical (And a Glock 19 that I don't shoot - but is my last Glock - so I won't sell it).

The metal framed striker-fired handgun was kind of the oddball in the collection.

In the last year I've gravitated toward metal framed hammer fired handguns........
so it made sense in my mind to sell the P320 Scorpion and add the P229 Legion SAO.

Nothing at all wrong with the Scorpion - but was good letting it go to add something I'd shoot more.

At this point, I should probably look at liquidating another striker fired handgun........but I'll think about that for awhile.

Thanks for the question - typing that answer out further affirmed my decision to sell it.

Right now, my favorite shooting pistol in my collection is the Walther PDP Pro. Though on Monday I will take out the sample P226 Legion and P229 at my local gunstore/shooting range and decide if I need to add to my collection.
I have heard the trigger on the PDP is even better than the one on the PPQ/Q5.

I have heard the trigger on the PDP is even better than the one on the PPQ/Q5.
I assume you’re talking about the Q5 Match, not the SF. From what I’ve read the Walther Dynamic Performance trigger is in line with the trigger in the Q5 SF.

(This happened much faster than I thought it would - sold a P320 Scorpion and a TX 22 to fund it.)

First rounds/Impression.

Sig Sauer P229 Legion SAO.

I've always been partial to Compact sized (Glock 19 ish) handguns. Only over the last 14 months have I delved into full-sized handguns as well as hammer fired SAO - Walther PDP (striker fired); Staccato P; and P 226 Legion.

This P229 just hit the sweet spot for me. Size is great. It just feels right in my hands. Trigger is great - reach is also great for me as well.
I put 11 magazines through it last night - including the rounds to zero the dot. If this thing could talk, it would scream "go fast"..........instead it just telepathically communicated that to me the entire session. It was difficult to shoot slow.

While I did not bring anything else to shoot for comparison, I'm sure I would have shot this better than any of my striker fired and probably the same as my full sized P226 or Staccato P.

Compared to what I have shot and owned - if I could only have 1 hammer fired handgun (DA/SA or SAO) - this one would be the keeper - all things considered - size, fit, and cost.

On a personal note - This was my 1st range trip of the month and was much needed. I have some constant (abnormal??) stressors I deal with in my life. On top of that, since mid November we are in the middle of a major home remodel in 1/3 of the house - no kitchen, project supervisor left (Now I may understand why), dates pushed back, no or miscommunication, etc. The actual work - framers, demo, HVAC, electricians, plumbers, drywallers - has been solid. Could also have been a mitigating factor in why I was running this thing fast.

View attachment 51375

1 mag = 21 ft. 1 mag= 30 ft. Rapid fire -
View attachment 51376

Last target of the session - 21 ft rapid fire - moving thru the target(s) - 1 center mass followed by 1 to the head.
(came across these targets on amazon - something different/fun.)

View attachment 51378
I love my SAO 229 Legion RXP and agree with just about everything you said about it. Funny enough I had my SAO 226 Legion at the range with me today and I was telling @KillerFord1977 that as much as I love the 229 the 226 is my Hold My Beer gun. The 229 fits a bit better and conceals a bit better, but the 226 just has something, something and if someone says You can’t do X with a 9mm handgun I immediately grab the 226 and say Hold My Beer. It always seems when you mention the 229 someone wants to talk about the 225, 228 or M11 A1. When you mention the 226 Legion people just nod. Anyway, just my observations, enjoy your 229.

PS - You’ll regret getting rid of the 226!

I love my SAO 229 Legion RXP and agree with just about everything you said about it. Funny enough I had my SAO 226 Legion at the range with me today and I was telling @KillerFord1977 that as much as I love the 229 the 226 is my Hold My Beer gun. The 229 fits a bit better and conceals a bit better, but the 226 just has something, something and if someone says You can’t do X with a 9mm handgun I immediately grab the 226 and say Hold My Beer. It always seems when you mention the 229 someone wants to talk about the 225, 228 or M11 A1. When you mention the 226 Legion people just nod. Anyway, just my observations, enjoy your 229.

PS - You’ll regret getting rid of the 226!
Not even thinking about getting rid of the P226.
(the one I'd consider selling is the P229 Pro DA/SA - but I'm not close to there yet.)

Back