testtest

1st fired (new) S&B and then 1st time reloaded

yes, thanks

the issue i was having with the 45 ACP, was that the tiniest crimp, the cartridge would not chamber, nor plunk in the gauge.

so i slowly adjusted the crimp, till the round just plunked

i never heard of your way...a long time reloader here, told me to test your crimping. try pulling the bullet, and if it takes at least 4 to 5 blows of the puller tool, it's a good crimp....any less, not good, any more really not good....

if i recall, i got mine at about 4 to 5 strikes of the puller tool.
I always made a dummy round to set the OAL and to adjust my taper crimp, this way all I had to do was to put the dummy round in and set the bullet seater with which ever bullet style I was reloading, and had the basic length set, just had to find tune the OAL if needed. I learned that trick from my benchrest friend who reloaded from days far back, he reloaded for over 50 years when we met, sadly he passed away few years back, bullet puller method works good also.

I always made a dummy round to set the OAL and to adjust my taper crimp, this way all I had to do was to put the dummy round in and set the bullet seater with which ever bullet style I was reloading, and had the basic length set, just had to find tune the OAL if needed. I learned that trick from my benchrest friend who reloaded from days far back, he reloaded for over 50 years when we met, sadly he passed away few years back, bullet puller method works good also.
yes, i too make up several dummy rounds to adjust the decapping, powder charge, seating and crimping..

then when it all comes to spec, i make maybe 10, check each and every one for all the above.

then i'll produce a box or 50.

start the checks again for the next 50 rounds.

in between that first box, and that next box of 50, i pull out a case to weigh the powder, put it back into production.

The "4 or 5 times" with a kinetic hammer seems excessive for a 9 or 45acp? Then again it depends on how hard and how far you're swinging the hammer? Bottleneck cases................well I've had factory (non-military) rounds that took way more than that to dislodge. More crimp is the "cheap man's" way of saving powder, because it builds more pressure.

@Old_Me are you using/making lead bullets? I haven't shot any wad-cutters so, I know nothing about loading those.

when i change brand of bullets i will also build up a few or more with no primer to get bullet seat depth and crimps right
this way i can poke a rod in to the primer seat and gently push bullet out and use it in a live load

i also have STANDARDS i made up to use as gauges for the different bullets i use. i use them as reference

only problem i have run into was lead bullets i got once in 230 grain rn. not coated or anything
they were not my favorite and i never ordered any more.
now its all jacketed or nothing

The "4 or 5 times" with a kinetic hammer seems excessive for a 9 or 45acp? Then again it depends on how hard and how far you're swinging the hammer? Bottleneck cases................well I've had factory (non-military) rounds that took way more than that to dislodge. More crimp is the "cheap man's" way of saving powder, because it builds more pressure.

@Old_Me are you using/making lead bullets? I haven't shot any wad-cutters so, I know nothing about loading those.
i am using store bought lead bullets for the 45 ACP.

i recently made up a box of copper plated 9mm (Berry's) , that barely needed a crimp in fact, compared to the lead 9's.

i am using store bought lead bullets for the 45 ACP.

i recently made up a box of copper plated 9mm (Berry's) , that barely needed a crimp in fact, compared to the lead 9's.
i am and have been using berrys bullets for over 10 years.. cant say enough about great quality and service
they have a great 45 target round that is 185 grn RNHB that saves on costs but still gives you excellent range work rounds
you can get great performance from it, and its the same OAL as the 230 grain bullet,

i did the lead cast bullets that one time and the juice was not worth the squeeze imo. performance, cleaning, building up rounds etc. small price difference seemed to cost me more in time after the fact.

i am waiting in 1k 9mm to arrive now as we speak, they had a great sale

dillion was promoting a bullet vendor in last catalogue, but their range of bullet weights etc was limited imo
when compared to berrys

i am and have been using berrys bullets for over 10 years.. cant say enough about great quality and service
they have a great 45 target round that is 185 grn RNHB that saves on costs but still gives you excellent range work rounds
you can get great performance from it, and its the same OAL as the 230 grain bullet,

i did the lead cast bullets that one time and the juice was not worth the squeeze imo. performance, cleaning, building up rounds etc. small price difference seemed to cost me more in time after the fact.

i am waiting in 1k 9mm to arrive now as we speak, they had a great sale

dillion was promoting a bullet vendor in last catalogue, but their range of bullet weights etc was limited imo
when compared to berrys
yeah, i have like 2,000 lead 230 gr, RN, i have to dump, before i start building up stock in something else. (makes it easier to justify to the Mrs my credit card bill)

when i had first posted this thread, i mentioned that i still have 1850 made up ammo...that's the second make up..i already had 2,000 in stock..as i got low on stock, i simply reloaded back to the 2,000 stock count, and rotated previous loads to the front, new to the back. i think i ran down to 1,000 rounds, before i started reloading again. i keep a log book/inventory, on what i have, what i take, what i reload..

so, if only 2 cases have cracked, since i started back in October of '22, maybe it was only 2 bad cases, maybe floor sweepings, maybe my new S&B ammo......but i will "go with" my new, 1st fired S&B ammo that was just maybe a bad run on the factory assembly line.

i have lights on both my presses, and i do check each round, as all i do is 1 round at a time......my Lee being a turret press, believe me, thats too much to watch...i like SLOW.........

i appreciate all the input/advice, i take all that i can either from here, another website, and the old (er) guy at the mom/pop store.

I do not do dummy rounds, but have each caliber/gun toolhead setup with dies in place. I do need to adjust or not if switching bullet types and perhaps brands. I'm ordering coated lead bullets now when I order, but do have a crapload of lead that I bought at a heavy discount. I have a large quantity of FMJ and JHP that may require minor tweaking. I wouldn't have dummy rounds for each of those anyway.
Each has their preferred bullets and preferences, so load what you like and shoot the crap out of them.

I do not do dummy rounds, but have each caliber/gun toolhead setup with dies in place. I do need to adjust or not if switching bullet types and perhaps brands. I'm ordering coated lead bullets now when I order, but do have a crapload of lead that I bought at a heavy discount. I have a large quantity of FMJ and JHP that may require minor tweaking. I wouldn't have dummy rounds for each of those anyway.
Each has their preferred bullets and preferences, so load what you like and shoot the crap out of them.
thats how mine is setup i have 3 tool heads, one for each caliber so change out is easy
but i do test each stage after one has been removed and set back on. as a sanity confirmation

makes its easy to change up calibers and be productive

as far as stocking up on bullets
berrys runs great sales about 4 times a year and i stock up then. 2k bullets waiting to be built is low margin in my bench
if i die and my wifes sees the backstock....well i will be dead arleady :ROFLMAO:

thats how mine is setup i have 3 tool heads, one for each caliber so change out is easy
but i do test each stage after one has been removed and set back on. as a sanity confirmation

makes its easy to change up calibers and be productive

as far as stocking up on bullets
berrys runs great sales about 4 times a year and i stock up then. 2k bullets waiting to be built is low margin in my bench
if i die and my wifes sees the backstock....well i will be dead arleady :ROFLMAO:
yeah me too...i only load, 9mm, 38 special, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt LC....

one tool head for each

yeah, wives and dead husbands....go hand in hand, don't they..????

UPDATE:

ok, so i did what i said i'd do, and that was to "recheck & readjust" the crimping die on the DIllon.

i backed off the criming die, then went thru the process all over again, this time, when i try to pull the bullet, it takes 1 to 2 smacks, and the bullets fall out.....

they also "plunk" test quite well....and that's using the Lyman test gauge, and my S&W MP 45 barrel

i still have like 1850 rounds already made up, previous ones before those, shot well....

so, hopefully no more cracked casings, from what i do believe was from my reloaded, first fired S&B ammo.

UPDATE:

ok, went to the range this morning, took 3 boxes of my reloads..!!

yay, more than 1 box this time...:LOL:

anyway, all brass was NEW Starline brass, first time reloaded.

specs were 4.0 gr, Bullseye, 230 gr, LRN

each shot great out of my Kimber Custom II.

i did however lose maybe 4/5 shell casings as they flew down range......:mad:

and that's even trying to reach them with the long reach mop they have there.

now frankly, it was "the luck of ammo rotation" when i pulled those 3 boxes yesterday.

what i need to point out too, is that the crimping was the same as all the previous reloads.

the last 150 rounds i just recently made, last week in fact, i readjusted the crimping die, and i do believe i posted that as well.

so, those 2 S&B first fired cracked brass..??

just a bad run of brass from S&B..???

i dunno

i will post at least 1 pic of todays target on my "target thread", later today/tonight....

I’ve been reloading 45ACP since early 70’s…yes, I’m an old timer. That 4.0 bullseye charge is excellent, I’ve had great success with. I can not recall having a split case in a 45ACP in all these years. However, I occasionally find range brass with a split or wrinkle (case ejection issue probably). I’ve been fortunate that I was able to hoard military brass from the 70s, a couple of 1000 or so, that I’ve been using all these years. I have yet to use some of my military brass since the 45ACP military brass just doesn't seem to wear out. It’s a low pressure round and holds up well to repeated reloadings. My old series 70 Colts did not require taper crimping and only recently after acquiring a Kimber Custom 2 have I needed taper crimp a 45ACP. In the past I always used cast bullets ( Lee 200gr SWC). Now due to indoor ranges I’ve been shooting mostly Xtreme Copper plated bullets with absolutely no issues, but I do lightly taper crimp now. I do agree that too much ”flairing“ may lead to splits with current commercial brass. Long story to get to my point that commercial brass may not be as “robust“. I do use Starline brass with other calibers and find it to excellent.

I’ve been reloading 45ACP since early 70’s…yes, I’m an old timer. That 4.0 bullseye charge is excellent, I’ve had great success with. I can not recall having a split case in a 45ACP in all these years. However, I occasionally find range brass with a split or wrinkle (case ejection issue probably). I’ve been fortunate that I was able to hoard military brass from the 70s, a couple of 1000 or so, that I’ve been using all these years. I have yet to use some of my military brass since the 45ACP military brass just doesn't seem to wear out. It’s a low pressure round and holds up well to repeated reloadings. My old series 70 Colts did not require taper crimping and only recently after acquiring a Kimber Custom 2 have I needed taper crimp a 45ACP. In the past I always used cast bullets ( Lee 200gr SWC). Now due to indoor ranges I’ve been shooting mostly Xtreme Copper plated bullets with absolutely no issues, but I do lightly taper crimp now. I do agree that too much ”flairing“ may lead to splits with current commercial brass. Long story to get to my point that commercial brass may not be as “robust“. I do use Starline brass with other calibers and find it to excellent.
well for the overall cost of new Starline brass, i may in time invest in the calibers i shoot, and order up like maybe 1,000 to 2,000 of each. and i'm only talking 45 ACP, 9mm, and maybe 8 specials, but the 8's i'd order up in lesser quantities as i don't shoot those as much. 45 Colt LC, even lesser.

that can be a reason why mine split, being thinner.

i have already taken the habit now of marking the base with marker pen, to let me know, my brass from range sweepings.

Getting back to the brass. I've personally found over the years not all brass is the same quality. Years ago I had bought a ton of Norinco, (if you remember that) even though they did say it was reloadable IME it was not. 97% of it would push back and bulge just in front of the web. Sure you could "reload" it, chances were great that it would not pass the chamber gauges. IF big if IF it did most of those would split after the second firing. It split in the middle of the case like it had been loaded major hot, which they were not even close.

Over the years I've found other "budget" ammo brass could also be very finicky and not hold up to reloading a 3rd or 4th time.

On another note,
Years ago I got super spoiled from buying once fired brass from Midway USA. I had bought 3000 rds of once fired 9mm brass. I'm not sure where it came from, 99% of it was Remington+P+ brass. It not only weighed more than standard 9mm brass but I load it hot as the sun for my 9mm HK USP. Responsibly I would not let others fire it through their 9mm firearms.
I got 8-10 reloads at that hot loading before it started showing signs of distress, in which I'd retire it.

this i found to be true of other brands, like Aguila.....i try to sort that out, and dump it into my salvage yard bucket

what does IME mean..??

reloadable IME..????

I also sort, group, reload, shoot each caliber by head-stamp. Helps to see what brass holds up better. You mentioned Case bludging, that may be particular to certain firearm‘s chambers having less support in that area. I‘ve seen other posts regarding poor support in the chamber area With particular firearms I’m not sure I would blame the brass for that. It’ll just be something to watch for and inspect brass. I’ve been using some 38spl military brass I found in my 45ACP military brass bin. It also seems to last a long time. I’ve not been a 38 shooter much until recently (38s in 357 pistols mainly) so it’s hard for me to judge 38 brass. Almost all my Military brass has a Winchester head stamp with a ‘71 date with a few 60s dates. My son-in-law recently aquired some 45ACP brass in an “estate” sale, we cleaned and sorted the brass. I cautioned him to carefully sort the cases and check for SPP 45acp cases, and yes we found some. Just something else to watch out for. I recently purchased 44spl and 380ACP, 357 brass from Starline and so far so good. My wife will go through 200rds of 380 each range outing. The 380 being a tapered case may wear faster each time you expand the case. Those I’ve found to split more often. Okay, just a lot random musings. Sorry…”Old guy syndrome” LOL!

When I stated case bulge, I neglected to state that the Norinco especially happened during the resizing, decapping during reloading on my Dillon RL550b press.
It was not from firing the round.
The brass was weak enough that even though I used Dillons carbide dies the brass would push back at the base.

Back