testtest

1st LE Trade/Surplus Purchase

wmg1299

Professional
I've wanted a Sig Sauer P226 for some time, but the current prices of $999-$1299 kept me from buying one. I saw that one of the online dealers I trust was selling a batch of LE Trade-In .40 S&W P226 pistols for $458 ($508 after taxes, shipping, and transfer). I've never purchased a Trade-In/Surplus LE firearm. I might have considered an LE Trade-In Glock, but I qualify for the Blue Label program which makes almost all new Glocks cheaper than the retail price for used models. The option to buy a P226 for approximately half the price of a new one was enough for me to take a chance, even if it wasn't in my first choice of caliber.

I have enough LEO experience to know that most police handguns are frequently carried, but rarely fired. The mid-size department (approx. 400 officers) that employed me took firearm training very seriously, and built an incredibly nice training facility. While our officers had to qualify twice per year at 85% or above, the state only required officers to qualify once a year at 70%. Almost all of our officers were extremely proficient with all of their issued firearms, but we often allowed smaller departments to use our facility for their qualifications. I saw many officers, who may have been competent professionals, but who possessed only basic firearm skills at best.

A field-strip and cleaning of my new-to-me P226 revealed that this particular pistol was most likely only fired during annual qualifications. There is some wear on the grips, but the barrel and internals are in excellent shape. I won't know for certain until after a range session this weekend, but I am very pleased so far.

Sig Sauer P226 .40 S&W.jpg

I am a SIG armorer and have detail disassembled and serviced a number of these pistols. They are built like a tank. I only suggest you replace the recoil spring-factory recommends it be replaced at 5000 rounds. Yours probably has not been fired that much but good to start with a fresh spring.

Good pick up! Now just get a 357sig barrel and the party will start! 40 is just fine, but I do enjoy shooting the 226 in 357sig. I might get a 40 barrel for it?
You've piqued my interest. I have absolutely zero experience with the .357 Sig round. I'd always heard that it was an easy conversion with the Glocks, but I didn't pay too much attention at the time. Would I need to use .357 Sig magazines, or will .357 Sig rounds load and chamber using .40 S&W magazines?

Back