testtest

20 Slang Terms From World War I

BobM

Hellcat
An interesting off beat article that has a few terms from and pertaining to WW I warfare that may be surprising?

Have heard of a few of the terms before and was surprised they came from that era, of what the terms actually meant sometimes or where they actually originated from. Other terms have heard variations of and some of the terms have never heard or read about before. Some may be kind of humorous? - Had a few chuckles in there. The article may also help decipher some stories from that era too?

Blighty? Crump-hole? I have not heard of several of these before but a back story is always good.

On Blighty? Have heard the word many times. Thought it was a derivative of the word blight as in an epidemic or sickness with a British twist before. Like "Bonnet" for hood or "Boot" for trunk can be twisted around from here to there in British / USA terms or words? - Maybe bonnets are only on British female vehicles though, have to check? :) - The articles definitions sure can change around someone's perspectives?

Me either cico, is partially what made it interesting on this end. That, and how some of them changed over the years?
Well I think about that often, how words and meanings have changed.

Firehose​

Then: “a large-diameter hose used in extinguishing fires.”
Now: “a very large stream of data.”

Footprint​

Then: “a track or mark left by a foot or shoe.”
Now: “a unique set of characteristics, actions, etc., that leave a trace and serve as a means of identification.” (source)

Friend​

Then: “one attached to another by affection or esteem.”
Now: “to add a person to one’s list of contacts on a social-networking website.”

Follow​

Then: “to go or come after or behind someone or something; to pursue in an effort to overtake.”
Now: to subscribe to someone’s updates on social media.

Just to steal a few....

Thank for Humor Bob.

Basket case triggered my sick humor really well.

I'm guessing #7, crump, came from the sound (downrange) of artillery as it was fired.

My Ex was a dingbat!
Anytime CS, triggered some of thoughts here as well. Is funny how some like basket case and dingbat have stuck around for so long and some others have simply vanished? On the Ex, can relate.

Well I think about that often, how words and meanings have changed.

Firehose​

Then: “a large-diameter hose used in extinguishing fires.”
Now: “a very large stream of data.”

Footprint​

Then: “a track or mark left by a foot or shoe.”
Now: “a unique set of characteristics, actions, etc., that leave a trace and serve as a means of identification.” (source)

Friend​

Then: “one attached to another by affection or esteem.”
Now: “to add a person to one’s list of contacts on a social-networking website.”

Follow​

Then: “to go or come after or behind someone or something; to pursue in an effort to overtake.”
Now: to subscribe to someone’s updates on social media.

Just to steal a few....

Hah, yah cico! Have thought about that from time to time too.
Many meanings have changed, some slightly and some completely twisted around? - There's many more changes in definitions like we both know, but shouldn't say or be posted here? :) Can be a weird world to be in sometimes?

Back