testtest

21 Right (& Wrong) Gun Terms

Hi Mike,

Excellent refresher and intro for new firearms enthusiasts.

I loved the definition of assault weapon. It was a direct bull's eye. The noun clause of assault weapon as become as banal as all SJW attacks upon valid adjectives and nouns.

Great list for newbies, and a good review for the more seasoned gun owner too.
Personally, "Silencer" is a word I'd like to see dropped from the Lexicon of Gun Related Terms. Using "silencer" as a term does more harm than good in the public's perception, as it conjures up the mistaken belief/impression that a gun's report is silent rather than suppressed. The word Silent, by definition, means not making/producing or accompanied by any sound. IMO, this is one reason why, the removal of Suppresors as an NFA item meets such fierce resistance politically and publicly. Perhaps if we changed track, dropped using the word "silencer" and educated the public to the real role of suppression as hearing protection, rather than cheesy and inaccurate spy films, we'd find better support.
LOL, just my little soapbox of words and ideas commonly used in the gun community that may harm us more than help us. Semi-Auto's another one, not because it's inaccurate, but because the public sees "auto" and not "semi," thanks to our often obfuscating media. Self Loading is a more accurate description of the action that's taking place, but either term is accepted. When some "journalist" makes the "Fully Semi Automatic" claim, it illustrates how Semi Auto influences public opinion in a negative way.
:Assault Style Weapon" has caused untold negative influence/perception in the public's eye, and I believe we'll be fighting that incorrect definition/description for many years to come. Whomever the evil genius was that first coined that wholly inaccurate lie, deserves hanging, drawing and Quartering.
For myself, I enjoy reading and learning more about firearms, even though I've been at it a long time (over 50 years), so I believe articles like this one are essential no matter how long I've been at it.
Thank you and keep up the good work Armory Life.

Good stuff, and I’ll add:

Grain(s) (Gr)—a measurement of weight used for both powder and bullet components of a cartridge. The higher the number, the heavier the bullet or powder charge; therefore a 147gr 9mm bullet is heavier than a 115gr bullet. Additionally, using the phrase “grain weight” is like saying “pound weight” when referring to what one weighs...

Thanks for good article Mike. It may help teach overall patience and understanding a bit more? (Also helps improves aim? :) Unfortunately, most terminology gets twisted. Abbreviations can confuse issues even further instead of helping? Mags for magazines? Look at simple toilet terminology? Crapper, stool, head, water closet, W.C. toidy among countless other names for same exact thing like poopstool? On the other hand, with patience, can remember seeing poster of a vulture normally used to eating left overs saying "Patience my butt, I'm going to kill something."

Definitely agree and understand on the assault weapon and semi auto or fully auto miscommunication. Some, likely a majority, am thinking fault, if any actually dealt, go to poor understanding by media in their efforts to gain reader attention. What's next? "Assault Armoires" instead of simple gun safes? Helpful hint? Rule number one. If selling anything, know your product, goal and opponent as best can.

Am surprised HP for hollow point ammunition wasn't included in article since FMJ ammo was. Hint, HP does not always mean Horse Power? Yikes! Another term was surprised not included is "Tactical Weapon." Ranks right up there with assault weapon for many people. Terms seem to be used almost interchangeably? Am surprised not seeing any Tactical 2X4's at nearby home improvement center by now? The article could easily go much further into detail, but is very good at getting conversation going in right direction. Am sure your article's very appreciated by many of us gun enthusiast readers including me. Made me think.. That's a biggie! Sense of humor can help too?

Grain(s) (Gr)—a measurement of weight used for both powder and bullet components of a cartridge. The higher the number, the heavier the bullet or powder charge; therefore a 147gr 9mm bullet is heavier than a 115gr bullet. Additionally, using the phrase “grain weight” is like saying “pound weight” when referring to what one weighs...
Yes, very good point. Both weights should be on supply container.

Good one.... astute as always !

Thanks for good article Mike. It may help teach overall patience and understanding a bit more? (Also helps improves aim? :) Unfortunately, most terminology gets twisted. Abbreviations can confuse issues even further instead of helping? Mags for magazines? Look at simple toilet terminology? Crapper, stool, head, water closet, W.C. toidy among countless other names for same exact thing like poopstool? On the other hand, with patience, can remember seeing poster of a vulture normally used to eating left overs saying "Patience my butt, I'm going to kill something."

Definitely agree and understand on the assault weapon and semi auto or fully auto miscommunication. Some, likely a majority, am thinking fault, if any actually dealt, go to poor understanding by media in their efforts to gain reader attention. What's next? "Assault Armoires" instead of simple gun safes? Helpful hint? Rule number one. If selling anything, know your product, goal and opponent as best can.

Am surprised HP for hollow point ammunition wasn't included in article since FMJ ammo was. Hint, HP does not always mean Horse Power? Yikes! Another term was surprised not included is "Tactical Weapon." Ranks right up there with assault weapon for many people. Terms seem to be used almost interchangeably? Am surprised not seeing any Tactical 2X4's at nearby home improvement center by now? The article could easily go much further into detail, but is very good at getting conversation going in right direction. Am sure your article's very appreciated by many of us gun enthusiast readers including me. Made me think.. That's a biggie! Sense of humor can help too?
Spot on and made me laugh. I witnessed the abbreviation issue personally. After 30 years in Health Care I quit and began another career dealing with Industrial gases. Once, a customer was asking about a purity report they received that the THC was so many parts per billion in the analysis. He asked me what THC was. Coming from a Medical background, THC is the abbreviation for Tetrahydrocannabinol, but in the Specialty Gas industry it stands for Total Hydro Carbons. Two completely different definitions for the same abbreviation

Nice to see these terms in plain English such that a non-firearms enthusiast can comprehend them.

That definition for a Barrel Hood was a new one for me. I've always heard that component referred to as the chamber, as in "lock up between the slide and chamber" or "the caliber is imprinted on the chamber's external wall". Previously I had only hear the term used to describe muzzle covers.

You learn something new every day.

Back