testtest

22 LR GOAT

I've always considered the 10/22 as a good starting point. Spend just as much as you paid for the rifle on aftermarket parts and accessories, then you end up with a nice rifle. ;)

That one comes with all the bells and whistles, but it costs as much as customizing a standard model. :rolleyes:

10/22 is a good .22, no doubt.

But, for the money there…you can do better.
Yah. Not only CAN, but actually HAVE.

At $640, that's more than I have in my CZ452 American and BOTH my 10/22s put together. Yah, that was a few years ago, but I could still do better for that money today.

I've been thinking about buying 10/22 lately, just for some fun and a reliable shooter. My LGS has already given me a price of either and a few others, they are in stock and available from his suppliers so it's just a matter of making up my mind. The wife likes the Go Camo as do I but I also like the idea of the takedowns.

If not a takedown I was thinking about the Go Camo stock.
Go Camo.jpg

If I go with a takedown model I was thinking the Sports South model with the Magpul OD stock.
Sports South.jpg

I don't really care for the looks of the anniversary model. Nor would my LGS charge me $640 for it.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about buying 10/22 lately, just for some fun and a reliable shooter. My LGS has already given me a price of either and a few others, they are in stock and available from his suppliers so it's just a matter of making up my mind. The wife likes the Go Camo as do I but I also like the idea of the takedowns.

If not a takedown I was thinking about the Go Camo stock.
View attachment 50271
If I go with a takedown model I was thinking the Sports South model with the Magpul OD stock.
View attachment 50272
I don't really care for the looks of the anniversary model. Nor would my LGS charge me $640 for it.
You can't go wrong with the 10/22 takedown with the Magpul backpacker stock. I have one and it's my most shot .22lr rifle. They come with 4 mags with one in the magwell and 3 stored in the butt stock.

Screenshot_20220220-212246_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220220-212315_Photos.jpg

You can't go wrong with the 10/22 takedown with the Magpul backpacker stock. I have one and it's my most shot .22lr rifle. They come with 4 mags with one in the magwell and 3 stored in the butt stock.

View attachment 50274View attachment 50275
I can pick up that stainless barrel with gray Magpul stock and all the extra googies, used, sitting on the rack at my LGS now for $440. But still opting for one of the new models above.

I'm pretty sure I paid around $450.00 for mine brand new in 2020.
Nice price. Things have definitely gone up since 2020. The MSRP for that rifle new is now $669.

Not sure what the MSRP is on the Sports South takedown (Ruger doesn't list distributor model MSRPs) but I can probably get it for $530.

The non-takedown Go Camo model MSRP is $439, I can get for $342.

Nice price. Things have definitely gone up since 2020. The MSRP for that rifle new is now $669.

Not sure what the MSRP is on the Sports South takedown (Ruger doesn't list distributor model MSRPs) but I can probably get it for $530.

The non-takedown Go Camo model MSRP is $439, I can get for $342.
The 10/22 backpacker has been a good pick-up for me because of how compact it is for transport when I go to to the range light I just stuff it in a backpack with a pistol or two.

22lr GOATs

SIngle-shot

Anschutz Match 54 Series

Sporter Bolt

Winchester 52
CZ 452

Semi-auto

Ruger 10/22 and its higher end variations
Marlin model 60

Pump action

Remington Model 572 Fieldmaster
Winchester 62 (also the Henry copy)
Rossi Gallery

My .02
I’d add the Remington Nylon 66/67 into that list.

Incredibly light, incredibly handy, incredibly reliable (if you don’t mess with them).

Pretty competent list ... especially the Mod 52, the 60, and the mod 39A. All the rest are excellent performers, but so was my little Thompson Carbine conversion break action. It was a natural tack driver, regardless of who was holding it. And some of those named are so damned ugly, I wouldn't be able to shoot them well anyway ... afraid somebody would see me with them !!! ;):)

I recently got hold of an old (probably 30's-40's) Mossberg bolt action. I've not run it completely down yet, but so far it's a winner on the targets. It must have been one of their early entrees into the competition world of rimfire because it has a really interesting finger grip pattern built into the pistol grip of the stock, and a peep sight at the rear. And one of, if not the absolute smoothest bolt actions I've ever had the pleasure of feeling. I'll know a little more about it soon. jj

If it's the GOAT, why does it need a bunch of aftermarket replacement parts?

I never understood the mad love for the 10/22. I like them OK, but never felt they were superior at anything. As already posted, I like the Browning takedown auto, the Winchester 52, the CZ 452/455/457, and others more.

I absolutely fell in love with the single-shot, Savage Mark I GY that I bought many years ago to teach my kids how to shoot. What a fun rifle, AND a tack driver. They grew out of it, and I sold it. Several years later I found the full-size, Mark I G, and picked one up just because. (It was actually stolen once, and was returned to me months later when someone tried to pawn it!) Still very much a tack driver, and even owning a 10/22, and a Marlin 60 it is my GOAT 22!

(Plus, it shoot Shorts, Longs, and Long Rifle!)

Last edited:
Back