testtest

Discussion: Winter Emergency Car Kit - Are You Ready?

Screenshot_20260927_100403_Samsung Browser.jpg

IDK there's just something in that picture that looks out of place for this article but I just can't figure out what.

On a serious note we keep all of that stuff in our car but reading this article made me remember to bring in the battery pack and charge it up today.

I talked about this before but the majority of my adult life I have been considered Mission Essential Personnel.

I'm sure most if not all of you are aware that that means that I didn't get snow days at work.

Next month I will have been retired for 5 years and I still get excited when they announce on TV that Fort Carson is closed to all non-mission essential personnel.

Last thing, to get to the road that leads to where we live you have to drive on Colorado 24.

Every year Colorado 24 gets closed for inclement weather at least two or three times a year all the way from Colorado Springs to Limon.

So we make it a rule that if it even looks like it's going to be bad enough to close 24 we cancel whatever we might have in town for the day and we stay home.
 
Last edited:
Pipe, tobacco, lighter, always in the truck. Come winter, dress like its winter. (That means no shorts, sweatshirt and crocks you idget. You know who you are!) Come winter I'll throw a tow strap, jumper cables and a real snow shovel, not one of those folding, plastic, things not much bigger than a TBS, in the truck. JMHO, better than carrying all that crap, be prepared to stay home and...stay home, until better weather. Then I'm retired so that's easier for me than a working man. 70 miles one way to work for 25 years, and I made it home every night. Couple of time it took 4-5 hours instead of the normal hour and a half. Only missed getting to work once. Took over an hour to go the first 14 miles. Did a quick calculation in my head and decided I would get to work just in time to turn around and come home. So turned around in a field (I know it was a field and not the road because the ride got smoother ;)) and home I went.
 
Last edited:
Winters here do get cold. But ice and snow are kinda hit and miss. We generally get some every year, but it doesn't last that long. If it does come, we just stay home. I do keep the house stocked up pretty well. So I can just hunker down and ride it out. ;)
 
View attachment 119419
IDK there's just something in that picture that looks out of place for this article but I just can't figure out what.

On a serious note we keep all of that stuff in our car but reading this article made me remember to bring in the battery pack and charge it up today.

I talked about this before but the majority of my adult life I have been considered Mission Essential Personnel.

I'm sure most if not all of you are aware that that means that I didn't get snow days at work.

Next month I will have been retired for 5 years and I still get excited when they announce on TV that Fort Carson is closed to all non-mission essential personnel.

Last thing, to get to the road that leads to where we live you have to drive on Colorado 24.

Every year Colorado 24 gets closed for inclement weather at least two or three times a year all the way from Colorado Springs to Limon.

So we make it a rule that if it even looks like it's going to be bad enough to close 24 we cancel whatever we might have in town for the day and we stay home.
Florida winter?
 
We have lived in the frozen north, the Deep South and now in the middle. For decades we have carried a basic survival kit in all our vehicles-ALL the time. Our kits are all the same, 2 space blankets, 100 hour candle 2 metal cups, one small pot with lid, waterproof matches, water purification straw, 2 bottles of water and long shelf life high energy food bars, and a folding blade knife. It all fits in a plastic .50 cal ammo can so no reason NOT to carry. Rotate the bottled water every 6 months or so. A few years ago, deep in DIXIE I was on the interstate. A major, multiple fatality accident occurred, completely shutting down traffic in one direction. I was in the fast lane in a 4x4 Ford. Said to self “ if I drive across the grass median I get go the other way back to an exit and take secondary roads, Median is overgrown. Being a wise old man I thought “maybe I’d better walk it first”. Good thing, as there was a deep, wide concrete culver in the bottom, hidden by the grass. I was stuck😏. Sat there for 4 Hours☹️. That bottled water was warm, BUT it was wet and on a hot day that was a Big help. Moral of story- be an old fashioned Boy Scout, and Be Prepared!
 
Last edited:
Well, I have enough food for a week to ten days, a single man tent, an incidentals bag with hygiene items and some other things, a medical bag with everything from butterfly sutures to dental floss. Also a few GI wool blankets, an axe, a couple hatchets, fire starting gear, an oak 65 inch tall walking stick that's more than just a walking stick.
And various and sundry other things.
I could use a few other little things, but as with all things related to this discussion, it's all a work in progress.
 
Living in Southern Arizona, and now disabled, I don't travel off the pavement nor distance. I used to carry tools, off-road jacks, manual winches, and ten gallons of water, plus space blankets, dry clothes and dryer lint for starting fires. Blades of nearly every size for various reasons and reloads for the 3 or more firearms.

The single most important item was water.
 
40 mile trip to work here in MN. The weather has been known to get lousy. I’ve been prepared for 25 years now. Never needed to deploy any supplies for my own use, which kinda breeds some complacency on my part.

However helping out a few people over the years is a good reminder. Rescued a young man who was clearly hypothermic, I was pretty sure he was very high. 30 minutes of blasting heat and he was making perfect sense.
 
View attachment 119419
IDK there's just something in that picture that looks out of place for this article but I just can't figure out what.

On a serious note we keep all of that stuff in our car but reading this article made me remember to bring in the battery pack and charge it up today.

I talked about this before but the majority of my adult life I have been considered Mission Essential Personnel.

I'm sure most if not all of you are aware that that means that I didn't get snow days at work.

Next month I will have been retired for 5 years and I still get excited when they announce on TV that Fort Carson is closed to all non-mission essential personnel.

Last thing, to get to the road that leads to where we live you have to drive on Colorado 24.

Every year Colorado 24 gets closed for inclement weather at least two or three times a year all the way from Colorado Springs to Limon.

So we make it a rule that if it even looks like it's going to be bad enough to close 24 we cancel whatever we might have in town for the day and we stay home.

5 years…wow, I am impressed.seeing as I retired in 1994. Snow is great for my dogs, not so much for my joints!
 
Back
Top