testtest

Shooting the Mighty M60

In my experiences with "light" machine guns many, many years ago in a place far away, I often wondered why the military didn't look at the .22WRM as a cartridge as the basis for a platform. Seemed to make sense given (at least in jungle conditions) that most rounds mostly cause fear rather than injury and that injury is often preferable to causing death as it ties up more resources even during an encounter be it fire fight or battle.

Given the much smaller and much lighter cartridge, the cyclic rate could have been much higher as well. Given the spray and pray attitude in that galaxy far away, a squad automatic weapon like that could have solved many problems. 💀

In my experiences with "light" machine guns many, many years ago in a place far away, I often wondered why the military didn't look at the .22WRM as a cartridge as the basis for a platform. Seemed to make sense given (at least in jungle conditions) that most rounds mostly cause fear rather than injury and that injury is often preferable to causing death as it ties up more resources even during an encounter be it fire fight or battle.

Given the much smaller and much lighter cartridge, the cyclic rate could have been much higher as well. Given the spray and pray attitude in that galaxy far away, a squad automatic weapon like that could have solved many problems.

I could see some issues with a weapon set up for 22WMR in a “light” machine gun configuration. I see your point on the weight and that makes sense but that would also be an issue. The weight is also a good thing, when traveling throwing it on the ground and having it in a sandbox. I see issues with that round compared to the M249 SAW 5.56x45 or the M240 in 7.62x51 and even the M60, in the article, your talking rimfire vs centerfire and getting shots downrange with energy while your at a distance. Something a .22WMR won’t do, in comparison.

Given the much smaller and much lighter cartridge, the cyclic rate could have been much higher as well. Given the spray and pray attitude in that galaxy far away, a squad automatic weapon like that could have solved many problems. 💀
Good luck getting ammo when you run out. Hey, throw me some extra nondescript ammo you have laying around while you blaze away with the 5.56 and .308 at the Vietcong

Ugh, 22 pounds is not light enough when you're in "full battle rattle" carrying an additional 200 rounds slung over your shoulders. It is fun to shoot though from bipod or Rambo style.
Funny, I never had a problem carrying a 60 with 300 rounds -- but then again I wasn't foolish enough to carry my ammo over by shoulders in a Pancho Villa impersonation. When I carried the gun it was serious business, so I had a single 300 round belt connected to the gun. But I was an 11E so I didn't get four extra guys to help me with my 60 like those 11B's did.:)

They did -- they call it the M249 SAW

Funny, I never had a problem carrying a 60 with 300 rounds -- but then again I wasn't foolish enough to carry my ammo over by shoulders in a Pancho Villa impersonation. When I carried the gun it was serious business, so I had a single 300 round belt connected to the gun. But I was an 11E so I didn't get four extra guys to help me with my 60 like those 11B's did.:)
Oh, I forgot to mention the 60-pound pack on my back, but thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
They did -- they call it the M249 SAW

The only version of that I have ever encountered was chambered in 5.56 rather than .22WRM and much heavier than I envisioned. The only drawback I considered is that, at most, it was a 150 yard weapon, but in many jungle circumstances that would have been enough. While I haven't been there, I don't imagine it would have a lot of use in the Middle East situations today.

For one thing, we don’t call people names in this forum.

My apologies.

I should have asked what totally incompetent [person] "loaded" the M60 we see starting at 1:10 in the video, and what equally incompetent [person] let the repeated views of that nonsense appear in the video.

The only version of that I have ever encountered was chambered in 5.56 rather than .22WRM and much heavier than I envisioned. The only drawback I considered is that, at most, it was a 150 yard weapon, but in many jungle circumstances that would have been enough. While I haven't been there, I don't imagine it would have a lot of use in the Middle East situations today.

Different caliber, same concept. A "machine gun" with light little bullets to encourage wasting ammo on Spray & Pray.

Sorry, I rarely saw infantry with packs. We only worked alongside infantry from 1st ID, 25th ID, and 1st CD.
No worries. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Infantryman and don't claim to be. The experience I quoted was from military school, and reinforced my decision to join the Field Artillery. The most impressive Infantryman I've seen are the ROK Soldiers from South Korea. The mortarmen carried their mortar tubes, baseplates, and rounds strapped to their packs along with other basic items like rifles, machine guns, and basic issue of small arms ammo.

Last edited:
No question. The M249 is much more accurate than 99% of the gunners using it.

That could be said for more than just the M249. The 1911 the M9 or any sniper rifle “system” no matter the Sniper behind them. I’ve been beside some of the best Scout Snipers, in my opinion, but in that comment the gun will always be more accurate.

Back