testtest

Top 5 Pistol Shooting Stances

So I read the descriptions of those stances and I have to say I guess I’m a mix, I found this and posted it once.
8E8BE953-0488-45AA-8B18-BB35FA8D17D2.jpeg

This is my comfort zone.
93C7209C-F246-4177-8BEF-CF763147C455.jpeg

Me shooting inTexas

So I read the descriptions of those stances and I have to say I guess I’m a mix, I found this and posted it once. View attachment 8950
This is my comfort zone.
View attachment 8951
Me shooting inTexas

I used to shoot like that, and by used to I’m talking years ago. I now shoot legs parallel in line with my shoulders. I have a very slight bend in my knees. I do keep my arms extended, as this “absorbs” the recoil.

So I’ve been a Photographer for decades like 4 plus and I guess this depends on if your range shooting or in self defense mode. You guys can enlighten me but it’s always been if you pull your arms out in front of you than your less stable and hard to control being steady regardless gun or camera. I’ve always tucked my elbows in for stability. In other words I dont fully extend my arms. I’m steady as a rock from all that. I’m good on the range too . Now is it better or worse when we get to self defense. I would think that a bad guy could have a much easier time knocking your firearm out of your control than it being tucked closer to you where your in a stronger position.

im not trained with firearms like the instructors here and advanced shooters. Just wondering what is right or wrong.

So I’ve been a Photographer for decades like 4 plus and I guess this depends on if your range shooting or in self defense mode. You guys can enlighten me but it’s always been if you pull your arms out in front of you than your less stable and hard to control being steady regardless gun or camera. I’ve always tucked my elbows in for stability. In other words I dont fully extend my arms. I’m steady as a rock from all that. I’m good on the range too . Now is it better or worse when we get to self defense. I would think that a bad guy could have a much easier time knocking your firearm out of your control than it being tucked closer to you where your in a stronger position.

im not trained with firearms like the instructors here and advanced shooters. Just wondering what is right or wrong.

The way I was trained, and I know everyone was trained different and I don’t know anything about taking pictures but with a pistol hold your pistol straight out and roll your elbows in(ward) and they will lock up and absorb the recoil. Your pistol will “flip” but the recoil will go back into your shoulders and not your elbows. As in cameras where there is no “recoil” you could try this and see how it does for stability.

Many might not agree because it doesn’t conform to the modern, popular norm but I’ve been shooting for well over a half century and trained myself to use a one handed sideways target-type stance: 1) Narrow profile is a smaller target for an adversary. 2) I won’t get hit in both hands at once – still have my free hand available to pick up the gun and shoot and 3) I’m not exposing all my most vital organs at once. I carry a very controllable 9mm and can draw and get off all shots in the black at 21 feet in a matter of seconds. Works for me – jus’ sayin.

Many might not agree because it doesn’t conform to the modern, popular norm but I’ve been shooting for well over a half century and trained myself to use a one handed sideways target-type stance: 1) Narrow profile is a smaller target for an adversary. 2) I won’t get hit in both hands at once – still have my free hand available to pick up the gun and shoot and 3) I’m not exposing all my most vital organs at once. I carry a very controllable 9mm and can draw and get off all shots in the black at 21 feet in a matter of seconds. Works for me – jus’ sayin.

I’m pretty sure you use these sights as well...
1bafb790f038e3e547ed2ba026cabd8d.jpg

Great article! I tend toward the Chapman because I find that the alignment of my right eye (dominant), straight right arm, and sight picture helps me be most accurate (as accurate as I can be lol).

My stance target shooting has changed a bit since I discovered I am cross eye dominant and is similar to this. I spend less time target shooting than I do running drills and ridiculous scenarios where I'm just as likely to be standing on my head though. :oops::giggle:

Back