testtest

.380 vs 9mm: Reasons to Consider the Smaller Nine

My LCP vs Shield. (.380 vs 9mm) the LCP is noticeably more snappy due to its smaller size and lighter weight compared to the shield whereas I can get more purchase which in turn is a better grip and control on the 9mm. I like the .380 as a backup or for when I am not in a position to carry anything larger.

I like both and carry one or the other daily. My M&P Bodyguard .380 was problematic at first as I have large hands and I could not get a full grip on the pistol. A friend introduced me to the Desantis Pocket Shot holster which allows me to get a full grip on the firearm, either combat or offhand, and it's now easy to shoot. You don't remove the firearm from the holster as it is fully functional in the holster which resembles a wallet or cellphone case in your pocket. Check their website to see if it's made for your .380.

All this talk got me to break out my .380 today. Got some quality range time. Great caliber to shoot.
D72D66D2-556A-418F-87A0-9F5746087106.jpeg

I carry an LCP II as a backup, and by itself when I am in a situation where my wardrobe requires pocket carry. I have never really considered carrying a larger .380 simply because most of the larger offerings have very limited ammo capacity. With the exception of the doublestack Bersa Thunder, all of the other mid-sized .380's seem to only carry 7+1 or 8+1 in guns that are larger than a Hellcat or a Sig 365. I might reconsider if we started seeing doublestack subcompact .380's hit the market. Until then I'm perfectly happy carrying a 9 mm as my primary EDC.

The 365 and hellcat are too snappy for me. I dont like their recoil. A .380 on the other hand in more manageable for me. I’d rather have my .380 with better control shot to shot.
I actually carry both of those exact 9's, I switch off based off of my outfit of the day as they both have different holsters and sit differently for me. Love them, but I am curious for those that have them what 380's do they carry and prefer over them. What 380 do you carry/prefer?

I actually carry both of those exact 9's, I switch off based off of my outfit of the day as they both have different holsters and sit differently for me. Love them, but I am curious for those that have them what 380's do they carry and prefer over them. What 380 do you carry/prefer?
I run a .380 browning 1911. I have many carry 9mm handguns from many brands, as well as .45 carry’s. Cannot stand a subcompact 9mm from any maker. Small, snappy and pain in the ass like a small dog. Just me. Give me a larger 9mm or other caliber and make it work. Follow up shots on subcompacts suck with light weight and recoil. I’ll stay with a .380 and good dynamics for follow up over a snappy 9mm subcompact every day.

Do subcompacts work: yes
...but so did so many other guns, and they are gone like the dodo bird.
I have yet to see a rapid fire mag dump group from a subcompact from a quality shooter that didnt look like Ray Charles on the range and didnt hit crap

Last edited:
Back