testtest

40S&W Published Only, Please

Here's a 40S&W that I shoot quite a bit.... the powder burns pretty clean IMHO.
155gr RMR RNFP, 7.5gr VV 3N37, CCI LP, 1170FPS, COAL 1.134"
Data from VihtaVuori https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/?cartridge=44
Have fired a ton of these. Have a couple thousand ready to go also.
You may notice that I'm 0.1 below minimum. Was a little fudge factor from the Lyman 50th Edition
that has a bit lower starting load.

Here's a 40S&W that I shoot quite a bit.... the powder burns pretty clean IMHO.
155gr RMR RNFP, 7.5gr VV 3N37, CCI LP, 1170FPS, COAL 1.134"
Data from VihtaVuori https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/?cartridge=44
Have fired a ton of these. Have a couple thousand ready to go also.
You may notice that I'm 0.1 below minimum. Was a little fudge factor from the Lyman 50th Edition
that has a bit lower starting load.
I see that's st load pg424.

Just stumbled across this thread. I loaded 20 rounds of .40S&W yesterday using a load I found on Sierra Loading app.

R-P case, CCI 500 primer, Everglades Ammo 165gr JHP, a new bullet for me
7.0 gr VV 3N37, C.O.L. 1.125”
Intended for my Springfield EMP 40 3” and my Beretta PX4 Storm

I selected this load specifically due to the single star next to the load, and the 1080 FPS velocity.

One day I’ll get to tell you how it worked.

I hand weighed each charge which ran from 6.98gr to 7.02gr. It’s so nice to have a scale that delivers 2 decimals on grain scale.

Attachments

• 198F4D7B-06D2-4312-990F-F06166DA7C71.png
    198F4D7B-06D2-4312-990F-F06166DA7C71.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
Just stumbled across this thread. I loaded 20 rounds of .40S&W yesterday using a load I found on Sierra Loading app.

R-P case, CCI 500 primer, Everglades Ammo 165gr JHP, a new bullet for me
7.0 gr VV 3N37, C.O.L. 1.125”
Intended for my Springfield EMP 40 3” and my Beretta PX4 Storm

I selected this load specifically due to the single star next to the load, and the 1080 FPS velocity.

One day I’ll get to tell you how it worked.

I hand weighed each charge which ran from 6.98gr to 7.02gr. It’s so nice to have a scale that delivers 2 decimals on grain scale.
Is the storm a carbine length? What is your load purpose for the velocity?

Is the storm a carbine length? What is your load purpose for the velocity?
The PX4 is a 40 S&W handgun, so no, pistol length.
My load purpose is subsonic self-defense. If this works well it’ll be my carry ammo in my EMP 40. I use the PX4 for general plinking, and I got the EMP for carry. Still breaking it in...getting used to it.

The PX4 is a 40 S&W handgun, so no, pistol length.
My load purpose is subsonic self-defense. If this works well it’ll be my carry ammo in my EMP 40. I use the PX4 for general plinking, and I got the EMP for carry. Still breaking it in...getting used to it.
Not familiar with Berettas, so that's why I was inquisitive about the velocity? Asked and answered! Another question? Why not heavier bullets for sub loads? Just a preference on the 165s?

Majority of my loads have been 155gr, this is my first trial of a new (to me) bullet. I’ve been quite impressed with the Everglades Ammo 9mm 115gr and 124gr JHP RN bullets. I like how they load, and also how they shoot. I have a bit over a month with this new Springfield EMP 40, and honestly, I don’t shoot a lot of 40 S&W anyway. This is me, trying to get something I can carry and still afford to shoot.

I try to load everything subsonic, certainly, I go for lowered recoil. All of my shooting (90%) is at an indoor range. The noise level can be intense, and everyone in my family has small hands and weak wrists. The longest distance we can shoot is maybe 25 yards...range is not marked past 20yds, though the target trolley runs past that mark. We shoot very little factory ammo...usually enough to run out a gun to ensure proper functioning prior to using my loads...and I generally reload everything we shoot. I don’t have a chrony, nor the ability to run one, although I’m trying to change that. Even then, if I can get 40 yards at my possible outdoor site I’ll be surprised. And, our state operated long range has been closed for a “6 month upgrade” for 2 years, with no set timeframe (and no sense of urgency) to reopen. And at the moment, my indoor range is closed to enforce “social distancing”.
That said, I’ve been at this for 25 months, and I have to admit I’m getting better, and smarter. Zero squibs, no blown primers, incidences of high primers is down significantly.

With 2 40 cals(1 10mm and 1 40s&w) I usually have 135-155gr for the smith and 155-165gr for the 10mm. I don't like the heavy bullets. Me like um fast for distance out too 100 yards.

I'm open to anything at this point. I've loaded the 20 rounds with 165gr JHP, and it was very smooth process. I wanted to keep on loading the remaining 80 primed cases. But, I have never loaded and shot this round before, so I need to confirm functionality in my Springfield. The PX4 seems to eat anything, so I'm not as worried. I'm hoping that the latest guidelines, that ranges and gun stores are essential businesses, that we get some opening of my indoor range.

I'm open to anything at this point. I've loaded the 20 rounds with 165gr JHP, and it was very smooth process. I wanted to keep on loading the remaining 80 primed cases. But, I have never loaded and shot this round before, so I need to confirm functionality in my Springfield. The PX4 seems to eat anything, so I'm not as worried. I'm hoping that the latest guidelines, that ranges and gun stores are essential businesses, that we get some opening of my indoor range.
Trying too make all guns equal is hard to do? Wanting too be able on using the same ammo in a firearm of a different manufacturer.

I’m not the slightest bit interested in firearms equality. If that was the case we’d only have Glocks. I have a Beretta 92FS, a Bersa Thunder 9, a Kimber Micro 9 CC. I shoot my son’s 4 different 9s. In fact, the PX4 was originally his...I bought it to fund his Kahr and Ruger purchases. My point, everyone of these guns are different...yeah, all 9s, but they have very different chamber contours. They shoot different, they recoiled different, and so on. I made up some light loads that my Kimber Micro 9 loved, but turned his Glock and his Kahr into single shot, stovepiping nuisances. Did I mention my Micro 9 loved the load?

My Springfield EMP 40 is a typical, compact style 1911. My Beretta PX4 Storm is a Short recoil, locked-breech, rotating barrel lock polymer frame pistol that isn‘t even the same species. I don’t want them to shoot the same, and I surely wouldn’t settle for the loads I’d optimize for my EMP 40 as I’d never consider carrying my PX4.

As the French like to say....Vive la différance!

Back