testtest

.45 ACP Ammo Question - FMJ vs JHP

FMJ .45 acp has killed people for the last 109 years, through both World Wars, and every conflict since it's still be used by SOCOM units.

This is the very reason I will always own a .45 ACP handgun in one form or another. I figure if stuff goes wrong and I should run out of .45 JHP I can use FMJ with little worry. I also always have a fair amount on hand. ( at least 200 rounds ) :unsure: ;) :rolleyes:

I wouldn't use 9MM FMJ unless there simply was no other choice.

If you can only get FMJs I'd go for that, and then practice with it.

Hold on to whatever JHP you have since some ammo is in short-supply.

But you may want to run a mag full throw your pistol yo see how it shoots.
So listening back to the video in question, turns out the fella explained near the end the rounded-nose JHP works very well in the 1911s he's shot, not the JHP that just slants up to a sharper edge. Sorry I missed that first time around. He stated that he's shot a ton of Federal HST, HST Plus and Winchester 230 JHP with no issues. THEN he reveals it's a Rock Island Armory 1911, not an SA. Missing the details seems to be a hobby of mine.

I just need to shoot the thing and see what happens.

So listening back to the video in question, turns out the fella explained near the end the rounded-nose JHP works very well in the 1911s he's shot, not the JHP that just slants up to a sharper edge. Sorry I missed that first time around. He stated that he's shot a ton of Federal HST, HST Plus and Winchester 230 JHP with no issues. THEN he reveals it's a Rock Island Armory 1911, not an SA. Missing the details seems to be a hobby of mine.

I just need to shoot the thing and see what happens.

All handguns are individuals. One may prefer one type of ammo eventhough they are identical models.

I have 4 different 1911 brands and always try to find out what works in all to standardize on ammo types.

Another great piece of advice I got was to lube, then rack the slide 2-3 hundred times before I even fired the first round. My range officer has been flawless so far.
Ha, I've been moving that slide and hammer and levers several times a day for weeks, just to get used to handling it. Next is field-strip and reassembly several times, then a good first-time cleaning (I know, hasn't been shot) to get my workflow down. A little lube and maybe 100 more times racking the slide and I'll be there. The whole thing is smoother in my hands now so it's starting to wear-in if that's the term. Could also be me just handling the gun a bit better. First day I babied it; then I realized it needs to be handled like a German Shepherd, not a Chihuahua if that makes sense. This is a soldier's piece, not a toy.

...They also advised officers who had any issues running JHP ammo to upgrade their magazines to Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, or Ed Brown mags. I'm getting older, so there's a good chance that I received this advice a decade ago. I'm not sure if it still holds true today, but it was popular advice at one time. It wouldn't hurt to verify it with current shooters.
Speaking of, I'm all over this! Ed Brown Magazine Exchange

Back