testtest

.45 Colt load with Titegroup

youngolddude

Professional
I discovered a while back that my Pedersoli lightning rifle preferred a longer OAL. You wouldn't think a few thousandths wouldn't make a difference, but they did. I ran out of my Winchester Superlite powder and started using Titegroup. I had a quantity of 185 gr. bullets (poly and moly coated) and adjusted to 1.605 with 5 gr. of Titegroup. All fed slicker than snot and were mostly slam fired. Hoo-hoo!
The prior match was frustrating as I didn't check which bullets I took and had to double clutch each round. A few had to be encouraged with a finger. Not good when you're on the clock. I have about 500 rounds loaded to the crimp groove and will need to shoot them in my '92 carbine or revolvers.
My next load to figure out will be 12 ga. using Hodgdon Perfect Pattern powder as the last of my Clays is in the powder dispenser.
Cheers.

i have yet to reload my prepped 45 Colt LC or .38 special...(with Tite Group)

thus far, only 9mm, and 45 ACP.

i like it, and most likely will stay with it

I've been loading for the old warhorse .45 Colt for many years. As posted above I started out with Unique. We all know especially with the older Unique anything below max was going to leave a lot of residual unburned flakes behind. Similar but a bit cleaner results with Universal. Because of its higher load density I've tried to like TrailBoss. I'm able to get the lower velocity I want and still have enough of those large diskettes to see. I just hate the atrocious odor.

Loading for Colt and Colt clones, I'm always on the lookout for higher load density, low pressure, efficient burning powders that keep me in the 700 to 800 fps range. I've used Accurate #5 and Winchester W572 with decent results. I want to try some W244, just haven't seen any on the local shelves yet.

It's difficult to satisfy my desired specifications for cavernous original black powder cartridges. I want my cake and eat it too.

I've loaded for high pressure Ruger applications, and those were easy. Fill the case with H110/W296, seat the bullet and hold on!

I only use TrailBoss for 45LC in my SAA's and 1873. The Lightning is known for trainwrecks
Never wanted to use Trailboss and am now using Titegroup. Now that my Lightning AOL has been determined, it's worked perfectly in my last two matches. I had 2 sub-20 stages yesterday and I can't run a lick anymore. I also went back to my 1887 shotgun. That is the gun that can have magnificent trainwrecks. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Never wanted to use Trailboss and am now using Titegroup. Now that my Lightning AOL has been determined, it's worked perfectly in my last two matches. I had 2 sub-20 stages yesterday and I can't run a lick anymore. I also went back to my 1887 shotgun. That is the gun that can have magnificent trainwrecks. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:
Lightning AOL ..........???

It was a senior moment. For some reason, I seem to have them more often. Read the above as OAL, specifically 1.605 as for my specific Lightning. How embarrassing. :oops: Hey, at least I don't sniff hair like another old fart I know.

Back