testtest

.458 SOCOM, thoughts?

USMC6094

Custom
I happened into an upper with issues, see wrong upper receiver used for the build (5.56 as opposed to the proper. 458 upper), which caused function issues.

This evening I dug it out and got to tinkering, and I might give this forlorn upper a proper resurrection to make a thumper out of it.

Any thoughts or ideas from the group are welcome, as this is a back burner project.......

Thanks in advance.......

I briefly had a .450 Bushmaster.

While it was kinda neat, I found the utility kinda lacking. If I need more honk in an AR platform, I’d rather just step up to an AR10…

That being said, I’ve never really played with the build specs; I actually had no idea .458 needed a special upper…interested in hearing your progress.

I have no preference between the socom, baowulf or bushmaster. If ammo was cheap and in abundance I think they all 3 are fairly equal. Now from a reloader's perspective! 45cal is the way to go because if easier to obtain bullets (most are cheaper). Call me when there's a 44bushmaster and @HansGruber when there's a 41bushmaster ;) . Get something WITHOUT a rebated rim. To many issues in AR's with those type cases, but some (collected from other sources) have had decent luck on function. 2nd issue that's a PITA is the bottleneck on the 458, just like the 357sig when reloading? If, you're starting out by yourself on these cartridges get knowledgeable help or you WILL be crushing the necks seating bullets until you figure it out? If you're looking for short range thumpers all 3 will do the trick! .458 projectiles are NOT cheap compared to the 45 and 50cals.

What's special about the upper is the enlarged ejection port for larger cases (458socom, 50bao and 45bm) are (iirc) based off a 308win case (not 100% correct) is reason for "special" upper. Uppers are not very much in cost as there "special" AR10 upper for short mags aren't that much either. Most use the same ejection port cover, only enlarge the height not the length (from bottom down) (same on AR10 for magnum cases). This way the cover will lock closed as not changing the height.

Bolt faces per cartridge
450bm .473" (same as 308win)
50bw .447" (same as 7.62x39)
458socom .473" (same as 308win)

The 50bw can be used in many other cartridges that WILL use standard 5.56nato ejection port (6arc, 224valk and other offspring) although the bolt face IS .005-.006" smaller on the 6arc and similar cartridges.

As was mentioned, the ejection port on a dedicated .458 SOCOM upper needs to be enlarged for proper ejection.

Another thing to look at is ammo selection. You will find that not all .458 SOCOM ammo is created equally, and the OAL, bullet seating depth and bullet profile can be an issue. I always buy a very small amount of a given ammo brand to make sure that it feeds properly before I buy numbers of boxes.

458 Thumper2.jpg

Back