• Modern

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Electric

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Classified

Professional
Founding Member
Saw this article and thought I would see who likes what.

Personally, I like to keep it vintage, manual transmission, with a diesel.

I am somewhat curious about electric but, unless it's a hybrid I dont think its worth it.

Vintage all day long. To many things to go wrong with these new electric engagements. With the old manual systems you lock in the hubs , select high or low range 4x4 and away you go.

Yeah , you had to get out of the truck to lock in the hubs but so what . If you were silly enough to head out into the mud or snow without having the hubs locked in well you get stuck.

While I agree, vintage takes the win in absolute styling, let's face it, modern wins. No choke, decent mileage, better brakes and steering. Doesn't sound like an oilcan going down the highway. Cruise control, air conditioning. Off-road capability, unlocking front sway bars, locking diffs, 8-10 speed transmissions to utilize the power band better while still being able to crawl in low low.
The downside is, when the EMP goes off, only cockroaches and straight 6s will still be working. Everything with a computer will be worthless.

Agreed
*Or should we limit it by the number of computers?
Mine (mid-90's) has only one simple one to run the ignition system, and it's EMP proof.

A neighbor has a new truck that has 15 seperate computers. Besides the cow **** he has to feed it, if that goes dry and/or one computer hiccups he's dead-in-the-water.

I'll go for a 90's Ford pickup no later than 1997.

While I agree, vintage takes the win in absolute styling, let's face it, modern wins. No choke, decent mileage, better brakes and steering. Doesn't sound like an oilcan going down the highway. Cruise control, air conditioning. Off-road capability, unlocking front sway bars, locking diffs, 8-10 speed transmissions to utilize the power band better while still being able to crawl in low low.
The downside is, when the EMP goes off, only cockroaches and straight 6s will still be working. Everything with a computer will be worthless.
You dont even need EMP, ever chased down an electrical issue? The mind numbing exercise of finding out why something is not functioning properly can have exponential monetary impact.

You dont even need EMP, ever chased down an electrical issue? The mind numbing exercise of finding out why something is not functioning properly can have exponential monetary impact.
+1

Even though my rig is old it took my mechanic & 5 months to track down a ERG issue and fixed it. My rig still ran but I could feel it was off a bit.

My mechanic said a similar issue would have made a modern rig un-drivable. Plus, he says new rigs are almost becoming unrepairable by normal shops/dealers due to their complexity.

Then there's the EV rigs which are very hazardous to work on, or extricate accident victims from.

I wish I had a time machine to go back to the mid-90's and buy a bunch of Ford pickups from back then.

I drive a 20-year-old 4X4 Ford Ranger. There's a knob on the dash there you turn to high or low. Don't know whether to count it as modern or vintage since it's 20 years old.
My Ranger is a 1999 model with the 4x4 off road pak. It had automatic hubs and has the knob on the dash. I installed lock in /lock out hubs after the automatic hubs caused me to come very close to being stuck . They quit working with no warning.

I don't mind the modern conveniences on the new trucks but I do wish the old 4x4 systems were still used.

My Ranger is a 1999 model with the 4x4 off road pak. It had automatic hubs and has the knob on the dash. I installed lock in /lock out hubs after the automatic hubs caused me to come very close to being stuck . They quit working with no warning.

I don't mind the modern conveniences on the new trucks but I do wish the old 4x4 systems were still used.
Mines a 96 STX. I ordered it with the offroad gear & some other options back when you could build a truck the way you want it. My autolocks still wotk fine.

Have only used 4X4 about 6 times in 25 years. Used 4X$ once when driving into & around the Twin Cities during the blizzard that crash the old stadium roof, once on dry land getting into a hunting area, and the rest as truely nasty winter conditions were occuring.

I know how to drive in snow, considering where I live. Have hard-core winter tires on all way around, extra weight in the back, a steady hand on the steering wheel & gas pedal, and patience.

I have a 4x4 Nissan now. Modern conveniences. Knobs for this n that. Hubs are always engaged. Never have to get out. But, like everyone has mentioned, one thing outta whack, half the dash lights up like Christmas

I'm in no hurry to go back to my 61 IH Scout. Vacuum windshield wipers, sliding (and very leaky) side windows, and mostly imaginary heat. Yes, the windshield folded down and the side windows came off, but...

For those worried about EMP, you really need a pre 1970 (VW pre 1968) in many vehicles, or you need to shield with lead foil a number of things.

My current preference is a Toyota 4 Runner. If EMP gets it, I'm headed to the mountains on horseback.

Back