testtest

5.56 and 223 rem Edge Pistol help

hello all,

With ammo being hard find in some areas , well most areas , I have started to see some 223 rem available and purchased 100 rds . So my springfield edge pistol is 5.56 nato with a 10.3 inch barrel. Will it be safe for me to shoot this in my edge pistol and will it cycle correctly in. 10.3 inch barrel?

Thanks

hello all,

With ammo being hard find in some areas , well most areas , I have started to see some 223 rem available and purchased 100 rds . So my springfield edge pistol is 5.56 nato with a 10.3 inch barrel. Will it be safe for me to shoot this in my edge pistol and will it cycle correctly in. 10.3 inch barrel?

Thanks
It will shoot no problem. I was just at the range yesterday with my Saint Edge Pistol. I put 100 rounds of .223 Through it and 20 rounds of 5.56 and it ran flawlessly.

The 5.56 nato is the military version, its a higher pressure round then the .223 and more velocity, the .223 is the commercial load, less pressure and a about 100fps slower then the nato round, FYI, you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 gun, but YOU CAN’T SHOOT 5.56 IN A .223 gun.

hello all,

Thanks
Hi Hairyfeet77. Yes as Keystone indicates, it won't be an issue. On AR's the barrel is stamped with the caliber appropriate to be fired with it. In the case of an AR15 (rifle or pistol) with a barrel stamped as 5.56 Nato, it can fire either 5.56 nato or .223 Remington.
If the barrel was marked as .223, then it should only be fired using .223 ammunition and not 5.56 Nato due to 5.56 potential being loaded to higher pressures. Excerpt with reason from article found on internet below:

"Making an apples to apples comparison of the authorized pressure of the two rounds is difficult because the .223 Remington cartridge is standardized by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) while the 5.56x45mm cartridge is not. However, 5.56x45mm ammunition is still recognized as being loaded to a higher pressure than the 55,000psi maximum average pressure standardized by SAAMI for the .223 Remington."

Now to potential confuse you more, if the AR's barrel was marked as .223 Wylde, this barrel can also fire either .223 Rem, or 5.56 Nato, since the barrel can withstand the higher pressures associated with the 5.56 Nato cartridge. So it's wise to always check the Barrel and manual, to see the correct ammunition to fire from a particular firearm.

The 5.56 nato is the military version, its a higher pressure round then the .223 and more velocity, the .223 is the commercial load, less pressure and a about 100fps slower then the nato round, FYI, you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 gun, but YOU CAN’T SHOOT 5.56 IN A .223 gun.
Well, I'm always late to the party :ROFLMAO:. I didn't see your replay Anni, while I was writing my reply and then posting. :cry::LOL:

Back