testtest

5 BEST TIPS FOR COLD WEATHER SHOOTING

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
If you carry a firearm for self-defense, you need to train in the elements. Outdoor training is highly beneficial, but you need to be prepared.

1706929810300.png

Couple years ago I ran across a cold-weather shooting tip that was SO good, it fell into the "Why didn't I think of that?" category.

Here it is: Buy whatever gloves you want to keep your hands warm. Now take a razor blade or Xacto knife and cut a slit in the trigger finger a little longer than your distal joint--however long you need to easily slip the "shooting portion" of your trigger finger out. Wear and use the gloves as normal. When it comes time to shoot, just slip your trigger finger through the slit and shoot. Finger goes back in the warm glove as soon as the shooting is over. What could be simpler? ;)

Couple years ago I ran across a cold-weather shooting tip that was SO good, it fell into the "Why didn't I think of that?" category.

Here it is: Buy whatever gloves you want to keep your hands warm. Now take a razor blade or Xacto knife and cut a slit in the trigger finger a little longer than your distal joint--however long you need to easily slip the "shooting portion" of your trigger finger out. Wear and use the gloves as normal. When it comes time to shoot, just slip your trigger finger through the slit and shoot. Finger goes back in the warm glove as soon as the shooting is over. What could be simpler? ;)
When i wear gloves, whuch is rare, For gloves every day wear I wear thin deerskin in mild Temps, cold Temps is deerskin lined with thin cashmere wool.

For cold weather outdoor activities such as hunting or working outdoors I wear fingerless wool gloves with a wool over mitten. The mittens are attached to a lanyard which I run through my sleeves. When I need my fingers I can bite the mitten pull and drop it. The lanyard retains it for easy use after.

I have yet to find a glove which keeps the fingers warm like a mitten.

Last edited:
I wear gloves while working or shooting. That's it. Out and about on my own time during winter I simply put my hands in my coat pockets to keep them warm.
I seldom wear gloves out and about but they are in my pockets, most oftrn wear them for driving. I have found that as I get older my hands feel drier and slick, gloves give better traction on the wheel. Second reason is damage, too much damage over the years has made them more cold sensitive and the wheel feel like ice. The finger I cut in October stings like the Dickens right now even in mild cold.

We’re at a constant 30 to 40 degrees with fog, no snow. Not really complaining though because I don’t miss driving to work in blizzards, but this has to be the weirdest winter ever here.

FB_IMG_1702712061945.jpg

I called it the winter that never ended. I think 2019 to 2021 We got our first measurable snowfall in mid September and the last measurable snowfall at the end of June. It didn't snow in July and then it started snowing again in August.

I bought several pairs of the Army ECWCS level 1 & 2 long johns.

I paid $15 for the entire 4 piece set at a surplus store. I almost never wore the bottoms.

So that winter I decided that I was going to see how cold it got before I actually had to put on a coat.

I wore the level ones and the level twos under my uniform which was a polyester shirt and cotton BDU bottoms and the Army class B sweater. And a thinsulate lined beanie.

I probably couldn't have been out all night dressed like that all night but I was able to do my rounds. The night I finally gave up and put on my fleas I checked the temperature and it was 12° below zero.

This is the fleece but mine was black.

Screenshot_20220108-185517_Gmail.jpg

Even when I'm out here that's how I dress except for not with that stupid polyester shirt or the sweater. I'm warm enough and my gun is not buried under a bunch of bulky layers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220108-185517_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220108-185517_Gmail.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
We got our January warm up at the tail end with freezing fog and temp into the low 40's the last day & into the first couple of Feb. Rain Friday & yesterday into the night, but the snow level has come down almost to the valley floor this morning.

More snow & temps in the 15-mid-30's the rest of this week.

That's quite the walk to the mailbox. :unsure:
I took this the first time I made it to the top.

I thought I took the other picture but there's a thing on it that says it's a screenshot.
20210607_133050.jpg

This is a little factoid picture for the Manitou incline. The numbers are right but the pictures wrong because the incline does not go all the way up to the summit of the mountain.

View attachment 51901

I called it the winter that never ended. I think 2019 to 2021 We got our first measurable snowfall in mid September and the last measurable snowfall at the end of June. It didn't snow in July and then it started snowing again in August.

I bought several pairs of the Army ECWCS level 1 & 2 long johns.

I paid $15 for the entire 4 piece set at a surplus store. I almost never wore the bottoms.

So that winter I decided that I was going to see how cold it got before I actually had to put on a coat.

I wore the level ones and the level twos under my uniform which was a polyester shirt and cotton BDU bottoms and the Army class B sweater. And a thinsulate lined beanie.

I probably couldn't have been out all night dressed like that all night but I was able to do my rounds. The night I finally gave up and put on my fleas I checked the temperature and it was 12° below zero.

This is the fleece but mine was black.

View attachment 51903

Even when I'm out here that's how I dress except for not with that stupid polyester shirt or the sweater. I'm warm enough and my gun is not buried under a bunch of bulky layers
I guess I could venture outside in July if it wasn't too cold. :oops:

Back