testtest

5 Common Pistol Shooting

Biggest mistake is choosing anything but a Hi Point.
1714316597797.gif

Hi,

Because of my personal experience, I must disagree with this piece of advice...

-----Quote-----
If you are a Glock or SIG Sauer P226/229 shooter, there is a good chance your thumb rides on the slide lock. If you notice this issue, there is a possibility you will shoot the pistol dry and get a click because the slide didn’t lock to the rear. Shooters often make the wrong decision on how to fix this issue as it is happening. The proper procedure is not to reload the pistol; the proper procedure is to conduct a tap-then-rack (tap the bottom of the magazine to ensure that it’s seated, then rack the slide of the pistol). This will lock the slide to the rear, and now you can reload the pistol. As the pistol clicks, you don’t know if this indicates a malfunction or a dry pistol. The quickest and most fail-safe method is the tap-then-rack.
-----End quote-----

When I'm training hard, under stress, sometimes I forget and my thumb may indeed ride the slide lock (XD9). I usually remember to keep my thumb out of the way so the slide locks back when the gun is empty. If I pull the trigger and get a 'click' I'm going to perform an emergency reload right there because my internal counter tells me the gun is empty. I'm not going to waste any time trying to "fix" an empty gun. By the time I perform a 'tap-then-rack' only to verify my gun is empty it may be too late to get back in the fight. I see an immediate reload as leaving me with less downtime and a smaller window of vulnerability.

Am I picking nits? Otherwise the article does a good job and I enjoyed all the reminders. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Back