testtest

What’s a “Cheap” 1911?

Nothing “cheap” about it but I will say I’m not a fan of the word (cheap) I prefer inexpensive, I love black guns but if I was in the market for another handgun it would be the Ronin in 45ACP 5inch barrel. Beautiful gun.
I’m watching Springfield Armory for them to come out with a Ronin in 10mm
I hope the don’t because if they do I want one. 😂😂😂😂😂
Great article Mike.

I bought a Springfield Armory GI .45 in OD Green years ago at a great price, and it could have been called cheap. It was manufactured somewhere in south america. The paint job was poor quality, especially at the front of the slide near the muzzle. The paint had chips that were painted over, which created an uneven surface.

I loved the pistol, because it was my first 1911. It shot well, but I got rid of it after it hammer bit me. The dealer immediately noted the place of manufacture during trade-in.

https://images.app.goo.gl/a8GFb6jMbwVx5vzAA

Nothing “cheap” about it but I will say I’m not a fan of the word (cheap) I prefer inexpensive, I love black guns but if I was in the market for another handgun it would be the Ronin in 45ACP 5inch barrel. Beautiful gun.
I’m watching Springfield Armory for them to come out with a Ronin in 10mm
I hope the don’t because if they do I want one. 😂😂😂😂😂
Great article Mike.
It's out my friend!

Nothing “cheap” about it but I will say I’m not a fan of the word (cheap) I prefer inexpensive,

I agree with Keystone on these points.

IMO the article seemed to disparage "cast"-framed 1911's, when Ruger and other manufacturers have a long history of making quality firearms using cast receivers and other components, as well as quality 1911s like Rock Island.

IMO, the title of this article mis-uses the word cheap. If it's going to say..."What's a cheap 1911", it should make some points to what qualifies as cheap, and provide examples of what other brands of the 1911 qualify as "cheap". The article doesn't do that.

But it's an article promoting a SA product, which looks like a nice pistol.

My .02

Last edited:
I agree with Keystone on these points.

IMO the article seemed to disparage "cast"-framed 1911's, when Ruger and other manufacturers have a long history of making quality firearms using cast receivers and other components, as well as quality 1911s like Rock Island.

IMO, the title of this article mis-uses the word cheap. If it's going to say..."What's a cheap 1911", it should make some points to what qualifies as cheap, and provide examples of what other brands of the 1911 qualify as "cheap". The article doesn't do that.

But it's an article promoting a SA product, which looks like a nice pistol.

My .02
Additionally...it’s a bit ironic that they disparage cast framed 1911’s as mentioned...

And then use MIM fire control and other small parts on all but their top-tier (Professional) models.

Still—I do think the Ronins look nice; I particularly appreciate that they use a true Commander-length barrel, and can be set up with a GI style recoil spring & plug. I suspect I’ll get the 4.25” 9mm when prices finally come down in a year or two.

Just for full disclosure, I have 3 SA 1911's, 2 of which are discontinued models, in .45 acp and 9mm (converted now to 9x23 Win,). Also, have a Colt limited edition after having 2 Gold Cups in the past which were disappointing then I awitched to SA after checking out one, an older Charles Daley which is also a solid 45, and recently picked up a Rock Island in 9mm.

My best SA is the "prettiest" and I don't shoot it much.

The Rock Island is surprisingly nice, (one step up from their basic model) but won't win a beauty contest. But it's solid (inspite of its "cast" frame) with basically all of the desireable upgrades from the basic. And I'm fitting a .38 Super barrel to it for extra versatility.

I wouldn't call it "cheap" by any means although it was $200 "cheaper" than the SA Ronin street price mentioned in the article.

IMO, I like my SAs, Charles Daley and Rock Island since they meet my needs.

Last edited:
Just for full disclosure, I have 3 SA 1911's, 2 of which are discontinued models, in .45 acp and 9mm (converted now to 9x23 Win,). Also, have a Colt limited edition after having 2 Gold Cups in the past which were disappointing then I awitched to SA after checking out one, an older Charles Daley which is also a solid 45, and recently picked up a Rock Island in 9mm.

The Rock Island is surprisingly nice, (one step up from their basic model) but won't win a beauty contest. But it's solid (inspite of its "cast" frame) with basically all of the desireable upgrades from the basic. And I'm fitting a .38 Super barrel to it for extra versatility.

I wouldn't call it "cheap" by any means although it was $200 "cheaper" than the SA Ronin street price mentioned in the article.

Is your Daly one of the original, Armscor-built pistols?

I have a Daly 1911. Not sure who owned it back then but it was made in The Philippines. It’s always been solid.

Just dug it out.

It says Charles Daly on the left-side of the slide and CAL .45 ACP on the right below the ejection port.

It is a Phillipines gun with that and KBI - HBG, PA on the underside of the dust cover.

Serial # is below 2000.

The two words I gathered from the article were “quality” and “affordability”. I don’t like to use cheap as some can only get what they can get. If one can afford a quality 1911 that has GI sights, a cast frame over forged doesn’t have a NM barrel and is parkerized over Armory Kote (for example) has MIM parts instead of tooled parts but still shoots “minute of man” then, O.K.

There is a lot lesser out there than the described 1911 above, as we know the SA Professional being one, WC, Ed Brown, Nighthawk and even DW being some of the top tier 1911’s out there amongst others. I personally have owned a SA Milspec that I really liked. My father in law had a SA GI model that shot really well. The Range Officer came out and it, to me was a better pistol than the Milspec.

The Ronin, as described in the article has several things going for it. It appears to be a good pistol and I hope to get one soon.

Sadly, for too many Americans, an inexpensive handgun is all their budgets will allow.

My advice has always been and remains: if a handgun is intended to save your life, buy the best quality you can afford.

When I take my kids fishing in mean critter country, I'll take my Springfield Armory TRP .45 ACP.

I'm certain that the Ronin is Springfield Armory excellent quality.

I want to own a Springfield 1911 one day, but for now the prices are not within my budget. The only traditional 1911's I own are a Remington R1 and an R1 Enhanced Commander. I'm definitely not a Remington handgun fanboy, though I do like the 870 shotguns. I'd been curious about 1911's for awhile, and Remington ran a huge rebate on the R1's in 2019. I paid under $400 for the R1, and just over $400 for the R1 Enhanced. Both guns have run flawlessly, and I wouldn't consider either of them to be "cheap". One day I'll make the jump to an SA 1911, but it may be awhile before I have the expendable cash. Eventually I hope to develop the ability to pass on a great deal in order to save up for a higher-end gun.

I picked up a new Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Mil Spec. 5" have not shot it yet but it fills nice in the hand's, a little heaver then my Colt Defender, or any XDM'S I have, was told it is a good gun.? any comments

That SA Mil Spec is a good gun. It will serve you well. I had one for awhile and was well pleased. It was reliable and accurate. As usual, give it a good cleaning before you take it out.

I want to own a Springfield 1911 one day, but for now the prices are not within my budget. The only traditional 1911's I own are a Remington R1 and an R1 Enhanced Commander. I'm definitely not a Remington handgun fanboy, though I do like the 870 shotguns. I'd been curious about 1911's for awhile, and Remington ran a huge rebate on the R1's in 2019. I paid under $400 for the R1, and just over $400 for the R1 Enhanced. Both guns have run flawlessly, and I wouldn't consider either of them to be "cheap". One day I'll make the jump to an SA 1911, but it may be awhile before I have the expendable cash. Eventually I hope to develop the ability to pass on a great deal in order to save up for a higher-end gun.
I bought my Baer by dumping 5 Glocks...

Quality, not quantity, sometimes.

Back