testtest

6.5 creedmoor jams!

Captjk

Alpha
I have a SA M1A 6.5mm Creedmoor. I’ve tried several different brands of ammo and all of them jam within 5-10 rounds—regardless of the magazine. Match grade rounds tend to jam into battery without firing—firing pin only barely strikes the primer. The case always separates from the bullet when I try to eject the round. Both Hornady and Federal match jam in this manner. Sellier and Belloit also jam but not in the same way—it enters into the chamber at too much of an angle and the chamber catches the brass just past the neck and causes a missfeed.
Any suggestions on what the problem might be?
Thank you in advance.

I have a SA M1A Loaded in .308 that I have been working into precision shooting. I was originally interested in the 6.5mm for that purpose, but could not pass up the deal from my LGS and instructor. Both of us ex military he convinced me.
What you are describing is kind of conflicting. Barley striking primer, is it discharging? And case separating from bullet while ejecting? Make sure you do not have a squib fire before attempting to fire again! If not I would check with SA as to what this problem might be.
As for the brass. I have used Federal Gold Cup Match, and ejecting takes its toll. Not sure how many times I will be able to use same brass. I have since moved to LAPUA brass with a 167gr. Scenar BTHP.
One thing that came to mind reading your post was "Bullet Jump". You might want to check the distance your bullet sits in the chamber to the barrel. This distance can effect the performance of your bullet (especially if you are shooting precision).
Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply. I’ve shot for years and I’ve never had a problem like this. Of course this is the first M1A platform I’ve ever owned so at first I thought maybe it had something to do with my ammo choice, break-in, or maybe a bad mag. I’ll contact SA. Tired of having to clean out spilled powder in my rifle after manually ejecting stuck rounds.

Would be interested in what you learn from SA as I almost went with the new 6.5 option.
Reason I went with the platform was that I used an M-14 in the NAVY with iron sights and kind of missed it. Of course now using a scope I have noticed the PIA it can be for cleaning. But at least I don't have to carry it every day.

Also
I have a SA M1A Loaded in .308 that I have been working into precision shooting. I was originally interested in the 6.5mm for that purpose, but could not pass up the deal from my LGS and instructor. Both of us ex military he convinced me.
What you are describing is kind of conflicting. Barley striking primer, is it discharging? And case separating from bullet while ejecting? Make sure you do not have a squib fire before attempting to fire again! If not I would check with SA as to what this problem might be.
As for the brass. I have used Federal Gold Cup Match, and ejecting takes its toll. Not sure how many times I will be able to use same brass. I have since moved to LAPUA brass with a 167gr. Scenar BTHP.
One thing that came to mind reading your post was "Bullet Jump". You might want to check the distance your bullet sits in the chamber to the barrel. This distance can effect the performance of your bullet (especially if you are shooting precision).
Hope this helps.
Also thanks for the suggestions on the problem. The rounds were probably good but the firing pin appeared as if it wasn’t connecting with the primer very good maybe because the round was too far into chamber. This seemed evident by the bullet being jammed into the barrel just enough to cause it to stick and separate from the case when I forced the bolt open.

Would be interested in what you learn from SA as I almost went with the new 6.5 option.
Reason I went with the platform was that I used an M-14 in the NAVY with iron sights and kind of missed it. Of course now using a scope I have noticed the PIA it can be for cleaning. But at least I don't have to carry it every day.
Cleaning is a PIA and the rifle is especially heavy with scope.
For many years I wanted to get the Garand but hard to find ones that are in great condition without paying a hefty premium. When the 6.5 was reviewed in one of my gun mags, I broke down and bought it.
What years did you use it in the Navy?

1975 - 1980
I also own a scoped 1943 SA Garand which am pretty proud of. Used in a Def. Rifle Course and blew away a bunch of kids with AR's. 9 lb. rifle does get heavy at the end of the day. 200 rounds a day with E-clips makes for a tired thumb too.
Studying the 6.8 TVCM round currently. Thinking maybe an AR-10 platform

I have the M1A Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor. Thus far it has functioned flawlessly with Hornady Match 140 gr. Although I admit I have not been shooting it a lot with the ammo price gouging. I am not an expert on this gun by any means but I would first check for something that is retarding the bolt velocity as it comes forward.

What I have been reading recently indicates most problems with this rifle are related to ammo, lubrication, and gas system issues. I wonder if shooter interaction can also cause a shortstroke malfunction? Trying to learn more here. I am going to keep a log book on my rifle to track maintenance and function issues, it is a robust operating system but I expect it likes full power service loads best.

What I have been reading recently indicates most problems with this rifle are related to ammo, lubrication, and gas system issues. I wonder if shooter interaction can also cause a shortstroke malfunction? Trying to learn more here. I am going to keep a log book on my rifle to track maintenance and function issues, it is a robust operating system but I expect it likes full power service loads best.
"Service Loads"--aka 7.62x51--are actually not as powerful as commercial .308 load, which is why you shouldn't run .308 in a 7.62x51 rifle. However, the M1A is .308 rated.

Really not applicable here, though, as there is no "service" 6.5, and the rifle should have been set up correctly from the factory for commercial 6.5CM loads.

It almost sounds like there is a chamber issue...I'd send it back to Springfield.

I have a SA M1A 6.5mm Creedmoor. I’ve tried several different brands of ammo and all of them jam within 5-10 rounds—regardless of the magazine. Match grade rounds tend to jam into battery without firing—firing pin only barely strikes the primer. The case always separates from the bullet when I try to eject the round. Both Hornady and Federal match jam in this manner. Sellier and Belloit also jam but not in the same way—it enters into the chamber at too much of an angle and the chamber catches the brass just past the neck and causes a missfeed.
Any suggestions on what the problem might be?
Thank you in advance.
If the projectile is lodged in the throat/rifling and the case is pulled from it while manually trying to eject the unfired round, it sounds as though the chamber was cut to improper dimensions.
I would deem this firearm unsafe to use and that it should be returned to the factory with a complete description of symptoms and examples of the bullets removed under these circumstances.
If the bullet is indeed jammed into the riffling before firing, very high chamber pressures will be produced.
This platform was NOT designed to be operated in this fashion.
Look at it this way: When you get your M1 back, it should be one of the most highly tuned M1s in existence!

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions as to the cause of my M1A's issue. I'll contact SA and get the rifle sent back for repairs and top-notch tuning! This forum is outstanding!

When I get it back, I'll definately keep a log of issues and my load results.

1975 - 1980
I also own a scoped 1943 SA Garand which am pretty proud of. Used in a Def. Rifle Course and blew away a bunch of kids with AR's. 9 lb. rifle does get heavy at the end of the day. 200 rounds a day with E-clips makes for a tired thumb too.
Studying the 6.8 TVCM round currently. Thinking maybe an AR-10 platform
I'm not surprised. One day when kids are out of college, I'll look for a Garande to suit my hobby. As for the TVCM, I've only read a small bit about it. Sounds like a cool new round.

Back