testtest

6.5prc coming soon?

I've going back and forth on what AR to build next? I've thought about other short mags in 270 and 300, but the cases are .075" longer and would require lighter bullets than I want per caliber. KAK has the bcg and upper along with a very heavy rifle buffer for magnums. If I decide on a carbine length, I have multiple weight and length buffers and springs for the job. The bcg is heavier than a 308 is by 2-4ozs. Complete build (without optic) is in the 1,800 range with quality components. I have a modified case and have been working on cartridge lengths up to 2.830" and no more than 135gr bullets (except lapua 144gr fmj). Having the extra parts will keep the initial cost down in the 1,200 range.

I would go with a minimum mid-length but really an intermediate or rifle-length gas system for those higher intensity cartridges. Much smoother/easier operation than a short carbine gas system.

Settle with an appropriate gas-system before fiddling with the springs & buffer to tune it.

My .02

I would go with a minimum mid-length but really an intermediate or rifle-length gas system for those higher intensity cartridges. Much smoother/easier operation than a short carbine gas system.

Settle with an appropriate gas-system before fiddling with the springs & buffer to tune it.

My .02
At what barrel length with those gas systems are you recommending/suggesting?

Gas port size is more important than location is what I've come across with when chambering 6.5creed, 260rem and 243win. When done correctly there's no need for an adjustable gas block or a heavy buffer.

At what barrel length with those gas systems are you recommending/suggesting?
Note the gas-system lengths below, but the barrel length is up to you but....

...Since Knight & Noveske intermediate variations are brand/product specific then you'll have more options with a standard mid-length, but with those cartridges I'd go with a rifle length gas-system since you'll likely want a longer barrel >20".

I've been researching everything I possibly can and most short mag chambers use a +2 gas when using 22" barrel or longer. Some as much as 3". That's a lot more gas volume going down the tube with sustained pressure. I'm doing a minimum of 24" and might go 26". If I can gain velocity by length, then I won't need as much pressure/volume. I still have several people to contact before deciding on the build.

I've been researching everything I possibly can and most short mag chambers use a +2 gas when using 22" barrel or longer. Some as much as 3". That's a lot more gas volume going down the tube with sustained pressure. I'm doing a minimum of 24" and might go 26". If I can gain velocity by length, then I won't need as much pressure/volume. I still have several people to contact before deciding on the build.
I'd also use an adjustable gas block to fine tune it.

SLR & Odin makes some nice ones.

6-8 weeks on the barrel and that's the longest wait for a part. The rest of it is faster and all hopefully in stock when I order in the next 2-3 weeks. The custom throating might add wait time? I've talked to some knowledgeable people that's been in the ar business and gunsmithing for a long time on suggestions from gas length, port size, buffer weight and other needed info. Hoping all goes well, but it should.

The process is started. I made sure I would be able to get brass, dies, bcg, upper (modified for magnum cartridges) and soon a barrel will get ordered. I'm down to 3 barrel manufacturer choices. All have about the same wait time (6-10 weeks). The parts from KAK is on the way. I'll need to send the bolt to whichever company is making the barrel as to headspace it accordingly. Trying to get it throated where I want it to be (or just short of as I have a uni-throater to do any changes if needed). I'll have to wait until the brass comes in and make some dummy rounds and send them with the bolt for chambering and headspring. End of May to middle of June I should have everything completed and hopefully have rounds down range.

The process is started. I made sure I would be able to get brass, dies, bcg, upper (modified for magnum cartridges) and soon a barrel will get ordered. I'm down to 3 barrel manufacturer choices. All have about the same wait time (6-10 weeks). The parts from KAK is on the way. I'll need to send the bolt to whichever company is making the barrel as to headspace it accordingly. Trying to get it throated where I want it to be (or just short of as I have a uni-throater to do any changes if needed). I'll have to wait until the brass comes in and make some dummy rounds and send them with the bolt for chambering and headspring. End of May to middle of June I should have everything completed and hopefully have rounds down range.
They make AR10’s in 65 Creedmoor I’m not sure why they would not make a 65 PRC in the same. It’s a great freaking round. Good luck with his build.

They make AR10’s in 65 Creedmoor I’m not sure why they would not make a 65 PRC in the same. It’s a great freaking round. Good luck with his build.
In an AR 10 you're limited to 2.830" which is .125" shorter than usual loads with heavier bullets. This is why I'm limiting bullets up to 135gr. Mostly be shooting 120-123gr. Possibly some short 144gr?

I have more of what I've bought 2 days ago coming and will make 840 rounds so far. These 12 boxes were from Academy that averaged $2/per. Not to bad for store bought? The 600 coming either tomorrow or by Monday were $1.12/ per delivered. Dies, headspace gauges and other 6.5prc related tools on the way also. KAK products will be here Friday (today).

Attachments

• 20230303_002824.jpg
    20230303_002824.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
Barrel ordered today.......22" hbar, .875" gas journal, +2 gas system, 8 twist and muzzle threaded. If all goes well with this build, then I'll either do another 6.5prc or some other short mag. I would really like a 338wsm (probably have to neck up from 300 or 325,, 325 would be more ideal) and use up to 250gr. Getting 4,000+ on muzzle energy would be 1 heck of a killer on hogs or engine blocks if needed! I was told 12 weeks to finish........I can live with that. BCG came in not long ago and will send bolt and dummy rounds off for chambering and headspacing. I lack 1 box of ammo to complete my 1k of minimum start rounds. Might get and extra 100 for good measure or wait and see if the brass is any good. I've use Norma before without any issues in a few cartridges, so hopefully I'll have none with these.

How is this coming along? The more I think about this, the more I want one.
2 weeks + 2 days since ordering the barrel that'll take (according to them) 12 weeks. I already had (prior to ordering any 6.5prc parts) a chargehandle, trigger, all lower small parts, safety, buffer tube, buttstock, buffer and buffer spring. What I lacked were a bcg (for magnums), upper receiver with ejection port large enough for magnums, +2" gas tube rifle length, barrel, gas block, handguard and a lower receiver (actually have 2 ar10 lowers before ordering) from that company (just wanted both receivers to be the same brand).

parts list of brands so far

Odin 02 lite handguard and .875 adjustable gas block
Elfman trigger
KAK receivers, gas tube (+2" rifle length) and magnum bcg
McGowen 22" 8 twist +2 gas length hbar barrel
Athlon BTR gen2 1-10x28
Burris quick detachable 34mm cantilever base
Radian chargehandle
undecided on buttstocks (rifle, carbine and/or brand, but do have several on hand)

2 weeks ago I sent off the bolt and 3 dummy rounds for headspacing and chambering for end of completion. If all goes well the barrel should be finished and/or at my door by 7/5/23.

Back