testtest

Book Review: Seeklander’s Defensive Rifle Training

I can't speak highly enough about this book. I own a copy and agree with the writer's take on it — its packed with amazing info. I had several of my friends recommend this book to me and I'm really happy I picked it up. If you want to maximize your skill with your rifle/carbine, this is a great source.

The drill that the reviewer showed in the video looks simple and complicated at the same time. I've never run one like that, but I bet it's hard to do when your concentrating on moving, aiming and shooting. I wonder how many different drills are covered in the book, and what their range of difficulty is?

Thanks for the review, Travis! @Mil-Spec the book has more than just drills, actually a multi-phase training program that can be followed step by step. Each drill has a dry-fire version and a live-fire version. They get progressively harder as the program goes on.
Awesome. I'm definitely going to grab a copy for myself. Mr. Seeklander, good to see you on the forum here!

So, here's a question.......

I'm super-impressed - and both a little starstruck 😍and slap-happy🤪 - to see so many of the heavyweights of our world here on the TAL Forums. Seeklander, Leatham, Cerino, etc......

@Mike H. and other Forum Admin:

What's the likelihood that y'all can spin up some kind of special training clasess for registered Forum members? :)

I'm not asking for anything for free or the like - I'd be more than happy to pay their going rates. It's just something that'll be nice to build camaraderie within the Forum ranks, to be able to put faces to our keyboard personae, shoot and laugh with each other, while learning from some of the top names - if not legends - in the industry.

Last edited:
So, here's a question.......

I'm super-impressed - and both a little starstruck 😍and slap-happy🤪 - to see so many of the heavyweights of our world here on the TAL Forums. Seeklander, Leatham, Cerino, etc......

@Mike H. and other Forum Admin:

What's the likelihood that y'all can spin up some kind of special training clasess for registered Forum members? :)

I'm not asking for anything for free or the like - I'd be more than happy to pay their going rates. It's just something that'll be nice to build camaraderie within the Forum ranks, to be able to put faces to our keyboard personae, shoot and laugh with each other, while learning from some of the top names - if not legends - in the industry.
I could not agree more about some of the people we are seeing in the forum (@Rob Leatham, @John Strayer, @mikeseeklander, etc.). I am really happy to have them and their expertise on display here. As far as classes go, we'll add it to our "future ideas" list we have. We're still in the early days on this project, so there's a lot of room for growth — so keep the ideas coming!

Our IPSC club follow the Seeklander Defensive Pistol Books/drills in our weekly practice shoots.

Plus, we had the pleasure of Mike being in our area last summer and helping us through drills at those shoots.

I own several of Mike Seeklander's books, including this one...which is excellent...get it. And as a member of his teaching platform, American Warrior Society, he makes available to me a wealth of knowledge on mindset, firearms, combatives, edged weapon, medical and legal information.

I've been learning from Mike since the mid 2000s. I find him to be not only highly skilled but he also has a rare ability to articulate his knowledge and experience in such ways that he is accessible to both neophyte as well as advanced students. Further, he never comes across as grandiose, testosterone-poisoned or inflexible to adapting his methods as he discovers, or encounters, better information as training evolves.

Last edited:
Our IPSC club follow the Seeklander Defensive Pistol Books/drills in our weekly practice shoots.

Plus, we had the pleasure of Mike being in our area last summer and helping us through drills at those shoots.
Thanks for posting! Make sure you check out the original program Your Competition Handgun Training Program if you hae not. The Defensive book is great too, but they are both slightly different drills.

The drill that the reviewer showed in the video looks simple and complicated at the same time. I've never run one like that, but I bet it's hard to do when your concentrating on moving, aiming and shooting. I wonder how many different drills are covered in the book, and what their range of difficulty is?

The book is full of useful and well thought about information. On the drills side it has something for everyone at any skill level. It goes from simple to downright difficult.

Back