testtest

8 defensive guns that will serve as hunting guns

Not a bad article. I love my lever-actions, but I don't think that they need to be tactical "X" versions to fill a self-defense role. My .357 Henry Big Boy is the classic brass version that would look awesome mounted above a fireplace, but it will make just as big a hole and fire just as fast as a blacked-out version with a rail. Same goes for my .44 mag Marlin 1894. I have no problem with shooters picking tactical leverguns with lights and optics if that's their style, but I'm the type of traditionalist who can't even bring himself to mount a scope on one.

Not a bad article. I love my lever-actions, but I don't think that they need to be tactical "X" versions to fill a self-defense role. My .357 Henry Big Boy is the classic brass version that would look awesome mounted above a fireplace, but it will make just as big a hole and fire just as fast as a blacked-out version with a rail. Same goes for my .44 mag Marlin 1894. I have no problem with shooters picking tactical leverguns with lights and optics if that's their style, but I'm the type of traditionalist who can't even bring himself to mount a scope on one.

I have a scope on one of mine. My Marlin 30-30 Carbine. Only because I inherited this gun from my father in law when he passed. I have 3 Winchester '94s, including an NRA Centennial model that a previous owner had mounted a side mount scope on ( What a dumbass) so it has a couple pins in the side where the scope mounts used to be. My first rifle wasn't a .22 it was one of these '94s. I was 11 years old and I hunted and killed a lot of deer with that rifle. It was my only deer gun until I was about 21 and bought my Taurus model .44 magnum with 8 3/8" barrel ( never put a scope on it either). When I started going to Colorado and Wyoming to hunt elk and mule deer I bought a BAR in 30-06, then when my father in law passed I inherited his Remington 7400 in 30-06. Both of which are scoped for obvious reasons. I watched my old man shoot a muley on the next ridge over ( Estimated about 500 yards) with his BAR. It was an awesome shot. Pain in the ass retrieving the animal, but still...

About 25 years or so ago I quit hunting in Colorado because the out of state licenses got so expensive and the laws regarding elevation, or more specifically the fact that you can't take anything with a wheel, including a drag cart, up above a certain elevation which just happens to be where all the deer are. The last time we went there were 5 of us, we spent a total of over 6k and no one ever even saw an animal. F Colorado. So that left me with Missouri ridge runners, for which the 30-30 is an excellent choice, so out came the lever guns again. Then about 15 years or so ago I quit rifle hunting altogether and hunted exclusively with my Taurus .44 Mag.

All that to say that if I need to stop a threat anywhere inside 150 yards an unscoped lever action 30-30 will do just fine. And that is a fact.

Back