testtest

Will You Let Your Gun Get Taken from You?

Leaving anything in the open in a car be it firearms, radar detectors, or even loose change is inviting trouble. I don't live in a bad area, but cars in the neighborhood have been broken into because someone left a wallet on the seat, dollar bills by the shifter, etc.

Just to add something to think about.
In the village I used to live in a neighbor left his truck outside and unlocked through the night.
A thief stole his garage door opener and when the family left for work the thief backed a van in the garage and has his way in the house cleaning out the contents and no one noticed.
Food for thought.

Just to add something to think about.
In the village I used to live in a neighbor left his truck outside and unlocked through the night.
A thief stole his garage door opener and when the family left for work the thief backed a van in the garage and has his way in the house cleaning out the contents and no one noticed.
Food for thought.
I urge my family to park inside their garages, or take the remote inside with them when they arrive.

I urge my family to park inside their garages, or take the remote inside with them when they arrive.
Remotes are a thing of the past most if not all companies offer Apps that can be used to run anything including garage doors.
I don’t believe anyone leaves their phone in their car at anytime.

Remotes are a thing of the past most if not all companies offer Apps that can be used to run anything including garage doors.
I don’t believe anyone leaves their phone in their car at anytime.
You're right, Keystone. I also forgot to mention that most newer automobiles have technology packages that include built in remotes as well.

My Son has a device connected to his garage door opener that alerts him if opened unexpectedly.

Last edited:
When I had new garage doors installed about 3 yrs ago, I noticed that there were no manual handles with key operated locks on the new doors. You know the kind in the middle of the door that you could turn to open or lock the door with. I asked the guy installing the doors if they put the handles in separately, and he said they don't have that as a normal/standard feature anymore. Stated that was "old school" stuff.

With all that said, if my garage interior were 3" deeper, or my truck (4-door F150) was 3" shorter, I could park it in the garage. 🤔

Last edited:
(Exceeded the 30 minute "edit" time limit, so making a "new" post more or less)

The button for open/close that I have (kept the original one and motor) when doors were replaced), had a lock/unlock lever. Throw that to Lock and the remote nor the wall-mounted button will not allow the door to open.
20210627_092535.jpg

(Exceeded the 30 minute "edit" time limit, so making a "new" post more or less)

The button for open/close that I have (kept the original one and motor) when doors were replaced), had a lock/unlock lever. Throw that to Lock and the remote nor the wall-mounted button will not allow the door to open.
View attachment 18649
Some LiftMaster models have a lock button that blocks remote access.

You're right, Keystone. I also forgot to mention that most newer automobiles have technology packages that include built in remotes as well.

My Son has a device connected to his garage door opener that alerts him if opened unexpectedly.
My garage opener is connected via WiFi. I get alerts when it has opened. I can Open/close from an app. I don’t like to use the app when I get home because it is noticeably slower than using a remote.

My garage opener is connected via WiFi. I get alerts when it has opened. I can Open/close from an app. I don’t like to use the app when I get home because it is noticeably slower than using a remote.

My wife allows zero apps or anything connected outside of our network when it comes to the house. No wifi thermostat, or turning lights on and off from work and no way something that can allow access to the house. My wife is a CPA and a Mac programmer, if she can hack your wifi so can thieves and hackers. And trust me, she can hack your wifi. You need to have an actual security expert go over your stuff with you brother. Or get it off the internet.

My wife allows zero apps or anything connected outside of our network when it comes to the house. No wifi thermostat, or turning lights on and off from work and no way something that can allow access to the house. My wife is a CPA and a Mac programmer, if she can hack your wifi so can thieves and hackers. And trust me, she can hack your wifi. You need to have an actual security expert go over your stuff with you brother. Or get it off the internet.
True. Our efforts only "keep an honest person honest." A determined criminal will not be deterred.

My wife allows zero apps or anything connected outside of our network when it comes to the house. No wifi thermostat, or turning lights on and off from work and no way something that can allow access to the house. My wife is a CPA and a Mac programmer, if she can hack your wifi so can thieves and hackers. And trust me, she can hack your wifi. You need to have an actual security expert go over your stuff with you brother.
Nice sentiment, but hacking my garage is the least of my worries, believe me.

1 or 2 clamp lock pliers on each garage door track is a great addition to electronic security. I never leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle. If I'm going somewhere (post office, school, govt. facility, etc.) where carry is prohibited, the firearm stays home in the safe even though my car alarm sends an immediate alert to my phone when activated. Usually, I'll visit the prohibited facility first, then return home to strap up. For jury duty or renewal of my carry permit, I was pleased to learn that our county courthouse has an attended firearm checking vault with a 2 key lock system like a bank safety deposit box, one for me and another for the attending officer.

When I had new garage doors installed about 3 yrs ago, I noticed that there were no manual handles with key operated locks on the new doors. You know the kind in the middle of the door that you could turn to open or lock the door with. I asked the guy installing the doors if they put the handles in separately, and he said they don't have that as a normal/standard feature anymore. Stated that was "old school" stuff.

With all that said, if my garage interior were 3" deeper, or my truck (4-door F150) was 3" shorter, I could park it in the garage. 🤔
Yah, pretty much on newer doors. Guess sign of the times? Manual lock, if any is on inside rail to overhead door.
One trick to slow down thefts while on vacation, when overhead door's not used much or normally park outside of garage like many people do with bigger trucks is to use Vise grips / locking pliers on rails near where wheels are is to clamp door in place from inside. Have seen where some people also use screw drivers to keep door from being opened from outside. Padlocks can work on rail too if get right sized ones. Only need to use in one place or on one side. Guess could do both rails? But, stopping one side seems to work well to keep door from opening.

1 or 2 clamp lock pliers on each garage door track is a great addition to electronic security. I never leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle. If I'm going somewhere (post office, school, govt. facility, etc.) where carry is prohibited, the firearm stays home in the safe even though my car alarm sends an immediate alert to my phone when activated. Usually, I'll visit the prohibited facility first, then return home to strap up. For jury duty or renewal of my carry permit, I was pleased to learn that our county courthouse has an attended firearm checking vault with a 2 key lock system like a bank safety deposit box, one for me and another for the attending officer.
Hah, was typing / just posting about same when saw your post.... funny! :)

Back