testtest

Will You Let Your Gun Get Taken from You?

1 or 2 clamp lock pliers on each garage door track is a great addition to electronic security. I never leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle. If I'm going somewhere (post office, school, govt. facility, etc.) where carry is prohibited, the firearm stays home in the safe even though my car alarm sends an immediate alert to my phone when activated. Usually, I'll visit the prohibited facility first, then return home to strap up. For jury duty or renewal of my carry permit, I was pleased to learn that our county courthouse has an attended firearm checking vault with a 2 key lock system like a bank safety deposit box, one for me and another for the attending officer.
"For jury duty or renewal of my carry permit, I was pleased to learn that our county courthouse has an attended firearm checking vault with a 2 key lock system like a bank safety deposit box, one for me and another for the attending officer." - NICE!

Yah, pretty much on newer doors. Guess sign of the times? Manual lock, if any is on inside rail to overhead door.
One trick to slow down thefts while on vacation, when overhead door's not used much or normally park outside of garage like many people do with bigger trucks is to use Vise grips / locking pliers on rails near where wheels are is to clamp door in place from inside. Have seen where some people also use screw drivers to keep door from being opened from outside. Padlocks can work on rail too if get right sized ones. Only need to use in one place or on one side. Guess could do both rails? But, stopping one side seems to work well to keep door from opening.
Yep. When we used to go out of town on vacation, I used 6" C-clamps on the track, right above a wheel. The emergency pull cord release is also tightly wrapped around the mechanism, so that one just can't pull down and release/disengage the drive.

Yep. When we used to go out of town on vacation, I used 6" C-clamps on the track, right above a wheel. The emergency pull cord release is also tightly wrapped around the mechanism, so that one just can't pull down and release/disengage the drive.
Good idea too. Now that you mention it, heard / remember someone else doing that as well.
There are also bolt on slide locks for rails, that insert into rail, depending on mfg, many are universal, that bolt in place w/hole to padlock in slide into place.

Last edited:
I use the vice grip method when we are not going to be home for awhile. Plus every door on my house is on camera. Some from a couple different angles.
I have a back walk through door in the garage that is on two cameras from the outside (as well as every window and almost the entire back yard) and the garage is on camera from the inside , but I am still thinking about making some brackets and lagging them to the studs and putting a 2x4 across the door. I live in an almost zero crime town, so maybe I am over reacting, but better to be prepared and safe. Besides, since I live on a corner lot, I would think the rear of the house is the most vulnerable.

I use the vice grip method when we are not going to be home for awhile. Plus every door on my house is on camera. Some from a couple different angles.
I have a back walk through door in the garage that is on two cameras from the outside (as well as every window and almost the entire back yard) and the garage is on camera from the inside , but I am still thinking about making some brackets and lagging them to the studs and putting a 2x4 across the door. I live in an almost zero crime town, so maybe I am over reacting, but better to be prepared and safe. Besides, since I live on a corner lot, I would think the rear of the house is the most vulnerable.
Corner lots can be good and not so much. Like having two front yards with all on display and little privacy .... is good in some ways, place can be seen to as what's going on as far as defense goes. Just have to extra careful on nude sun bathing part though? :)

True. Our efforts only "keep an honest person honest." A determined criminal will not be deterred.
Like the old hacking device - Rock, brought to you by the makers of stick. As long as breakable glass is still part of your home security there is a way inside. really though that's why we all own guns. If there is a will (with a long arrest record i might add) there is a way. keep around your house visually clear, keep lights on, preferably without motion sensors(can be defeated by mimes) and have very nosy neighbors (with guns hopefully, oh and friendly to you).

Like the old hacking device - Rock, brought to you by the makers of stick. As long as breakable glass is still part of your home security there is a way inside. really though that's why we all own guns. If there is a will (with a long arrest record i might add) there is a way. keep around your house visually clear, keep lights on, preferably without motion sensors(can be defeated by mimes) and have very nosy neighbors (with guns hopefully, oh and friendly to you).
Best way to say that is locks are for honest people.

On another note!!!!!!!

Who remembers growing up and never locking your doors? I don’t think my parents thought about it until I was in my early teens.

I know many on the forum don’t do much social media and some not at all but posting that you’re away on vacation is like leaving the doors unlocked.

On another note!!!!!!!

Who remembers growing up and never locking your doors? I don’t think my parents thought about it until I was in my early teens.

I know many on the forum don’t do much social media and some not at all but posting that you’re away on vacation is like leaving the doors unlocked.
Pretty much. About same here, was nice growing up and living that way and agreed on social media.

On another note!!!!!!!

"...posting that you’re away on vacation is like leaving the doors unlocked."

Concur. Whenever we were in Florida on vacation, we would never post messages or pics online to the various sites that we were not at home. We would wait until we were back home to post about the events/trip/etc.

Don't forget to halt your mail deliveries also. A week's worth of mail in a mailbox is a giveaway also.

"...posting that you’re away on vacation is like leaving the doors unlocked."

Concur. Whenever we were in Florida on vacation, we would never post messages or pics online to the various sites that we were not at home. We would wait until we were back home to post about the events/trip/etc.

Don't forget to halt your mail deliveries also. A week's worth of mail in a mailbox is a giveaway also.
Exactly that. Is a whole lot better that way! (y)(y)

Back