testtest

911 failure to feed

I've been very pleased with my XD-40 and my XD-E. Given my success with them I decided to get the 911 as a pocket carry. However, I've been disappointed with it's failure to feed the first round on almost every magazine change. Very disappointing.
I have to ask, did you clean and lube the 911 before shooting? If you didn’t you definitely need to and give it another try. If you did then give customer service a call. My 911 was one of a small group of early production units that had similar problems and I ended up having to send it back for repair. Springfield was super about the whole thing and my 911 came back ready to eat whatever I fed it.

Monday through Friday 8:30 to 4:30 CST via phone at 1-800-680-6866, International: +1-309-944-5631 or email at sales@springfield-armory.com.

I've been very pleased with my XD-40 and my XD-E. Given my success with them I decided to get the 911 as a pocket carry. However, I've been disappointed with it's failure to feed the first round on almost every magazine change. Very disappointing.
Call customer service at 1-800-680-6866 tell them your problems, they will most likely issue an RMA # to return your Springfield Armory 911 Pistol. The turn around time is reasonable considering COVID problems slowed everything down even the mail.I am sure they will make you happy.

I agree Springfield customer service is the place to call until that happens you can try something else that helped me until I had some rounds through the magazines.
Don’t fill the follow up magazine up all the way.
Keep them 1-2 rounds short of full until you have a 50-100 rounds through them.
I had the same issue with my XD mags.
Worked for me.

As Okie stated, there was an issue with a small batch of the early 911’s. Clean it and relube it first. When I had my Kimber Micro 9, it did the same, they suggested a 500 round break in before using it as a ccw gun. If its still having issues, do what the others have mentioned above and call Springfield up.

Last edited:
Just got a 911 9mm and have been having problems with it every trip to the range. Cleaned and lubed prior to the first trip, and had to find and reinstall the slide release spring as it fell out during cleaning. In about 200 rounds during the first range visit I had 8 failures to load and 3-4 failures to fire (round was chambered, but wasn't fully seated - gun went click, no dimple on the primer, reloaded and fired without issue). Cleaned and lubed after the first range visit. Slide release spring fell out again.

Second range trip I only got about 70 rounds in before two of the grip screws worked themselves out. Since I didn't have the proper driver, went back home. Cleaned and lubed (reinserting the slide release spring, as it fell out. Again.), and tightened down all the grip screws (not too tight, but hopefully they'll stay put this time). Took time to polish the feed ramp as well, as it had some fouling on it that wouldn't come off with regular cleaning.

Third range visit only got 34 rounds through it before a failure to feed. This time the slide jammed back, and wouldn't slide forward. I couldn't figure out what was hanging it up at the range, so just finished off my time with my XD-E and came back home. When I had better lighting, I found that something in the slide had wiggled loose and was hanging up on the hammer. Also noticed that I could see light through the top of the gun where the loaded chamber indicator pin should have been. Wife mentioned that she noticed this from the beginning, but thought that it was supposed to be that way.

I have an XD in 9mm, XDs in 9 and 45, and an XD-E in 45 - NEVER had a problem with failures through all those (probably 3-4k rounds total through those). Really want to like the 911, and when it shoots I'm more accurate with it than any of my other guns, but these failures are making me loose confidence in the gun. Contacted Springfield today via email, just waiting to see what they say...

I had issues at first with my 9119 but after a break in of about 250 rounds using 124gr FMJ rounds things were working pretty good. I love this little gun. Sent it in a couple of weeks ago because a screw on the grip came loose and I was unable to tighten it -- needed to send in for Spi Armory to fix.

I just bought a 911 .380
Some what disappointed due to having some failure to feed and failure to eject. I notified Springfield and was able to send out for inspection / repair. Customer service was on point and responded quickly. Waiting to see how long it will take to see my baby again.
I did clean and oiled her up prior to taking her to the range. I shot about 100 rounds and had the failures occur repeatedly after each magazine change.

Last edited:
I just bought a 911 .380
Some what disappointed due to having some failure to feed and failure to eject. I notified Springfield and was able to send out for inspection / repair. Customer service was on point and responded quickly. Waiting to see how long it will take to see my baby again.
I did clean and oiled her up prior to taking her to the range. I shot about 100 rounds and had the failures occur repeatedly after each magazine change.
Glad to hear you had a good experience with the customer service dept. Thats very much the norm for Springfield. I haven’t seen a lot about turn around times lately but even during the Covid shutdown they were getting repairs out faster than many other mfg I was following.

I have been wanting a 911 / .380. Hope these are just a few isolated incidents. I would also love to hear some positive comments as well.

I have been wanting a 911 / .380. Hope these are just a few isolated incidents. I would also love to hear some positive comments as well.
You can search 911 or 380 to find other posts. I love mine. There were a small number in the beginning of the series that had the issue. Mine was one, but I didn’t send it in. Some rounds down range, just like with many other 1911 variants, and it smoothed right out. I’ve haven’t heard of any issues in the later production.

Springfield has had my 911 for three weeks now, and still no word from them. That means they have had possession of my pistol 50% longer than I did. Trying to be patient (there is a pandemic and social unrest going on right now, and with the recent spike in sales, I'm sure they have their hands full). I just hope that it comes back to me fully functional...

It is a beautiful gun. The front and rear sights on the 911 .380 are amazing, the grips are awesome and weight is very nice.

*****UP DATE **** 8/4/20
I received my 911 .380 back from Springfield Armory and it seems like my baby got tweaked a lil bit.
Work performed by Springfield Armory:
Recut and polished Barrel ramp / Polished chamber / Tuned extractor / Polished bottom of slide / Safety check and tested.
So with all this (surgery), my baby is looking like a "Barbie".....
Will post an update as soon as possible on how she handles at the range .

*****UP DATE **** 8/4/20
I received my 911 .380 back from Springfield Armory and it seems like my baby got tweaked a lil bit.
Work performed by Springfield Armory:
Recut and polished Barrel ramp / Polished chamber / Tuned extractor / Polished bottom of slide / Safety check and tested.
So with all this (surgery), my baby is looking like a "Barbie".....
Will post an update as soon as possible on how she handles at the range .

I should be getting my 911 9mm back today, and plan a trip to the range immediately after. Only thing listed on my invoice was polishing the chamber, which isn't where I was experiencing the problems. We'll see if what they did actually fixes anything.

Got it back, and immediately went to the range. 350 rounds, and I had the following:

1 failure to load - round was stuck nose first on the feed ramp.
2 failure to chamber - round was not fully chambered, and a simple bump on the slide was sufficient to get it to fire.
2 failure to fire - hammer dropped, but just a click. Reset the hammer and it fired the second time.

All these were with Magtech ammo (200 rounds). 150 rounds of Federal went through without any issue. I did find that the way I was holding the pistol would sometimes activate the safety, but after a minor adjustment I fixed that issue.

While I wasn't shooting for accuracy, just speed (the range was rather warm, and I was sweating like a pig), I did discover that I am a much better shooter left handed than I am with my right - all 7 shots were touching at 10 yards. I did discover that I am left eye dominant, so the sight line is easier to maintain.

Next trip will be to a much nicer range, and I'll start practicing with the pistol to get used to loading with my right.

Got it back, and immediately went to the range. 350 rounds, and I had the following:

1 failure to load - round was stuck nose first on the feed ramp.
2 failure to chamber - round was not fully chambered, and a simple bump on the slide was sufficient to get it to fire.
2 failure to fire - hammer dropped, but just a click. Reset the hammer and it fired the second time.

All these were with Magtech ammo (200 rounds). 150 rounds of Federal went through without any issue. I did find that the way I was holding the pistol would sometimes activate the safety, but after a minor adjustment I fixed that issue.

While I wasn't shooting for accuracy, just speed (the range was rather warm, and I was sweating like a pig), I did discover that I am a much better shooter left handed than I am with my right - all 7 shots were touching at 10 yards. I did discover that I am left eye dominant, so the sight line is easier to maintain.

Next trip will be to a much nicer range, and I'll start practicing with the pistol to get used to loading with my right.

I had the same revelation a few years ago. I discovered I was left eye dominant. I am still more comfortable shooting handguns right handed ( though I shoot fairly well with my left). I keep both eyes open.

Back